PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord access for viewings

Hi,
My landlord informed me last week that he is selling the property i rent from him. He wants me to continue living here and paying him rent until he finds a buyer. i have been here 3 years and have been happy whilst here, so i am disappointed about this situation, as i believe i have to start looking straight away as not to miss out on the right home in the right location if one comes up.

The thing is, the Landlord wants to show potential buyers around my home, and i am not comfortable with this, and was wondering if by law i can refuse access full stop. I always allow visits to check the condition of the property and gas checks etc, but i am not willing to open up my home to randoms nosing around, not through shame as i maintain a tidy and presentable home, its just strangers nosing around does not sit right with me. And this landlord thinks he can enter my property while im not there as long as he gives notice.

I have found the clause in my tenancy contract that states "Allow possible new tenants and buyers access on 24 hours notice" How enforceable is this clause?

I have changed the front door lock sometime ago, and i am not to fussed about a reference as i have enough positive ones from over the years.

As i could do with my deposit back in advance to put down on a new place, would you think it possible he would play ball to gain access as soon as possible?

For the record, my rent always is paid on time, no outstanding bills, no damage to property and no neighbour disputes.

Thank you.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tempest84 wrote: »
    I have found the clause in my tenancy contract that states "Allow possible new tenants and buyers access on 24 hours notice" How enforceable is this clause?

No idea but it seems unreasonable to me. 24 hours prior maybe to request it but you should be able to refuse if it is not convienient.
    I have changed the front door lock sometime ago, and i am not to fussed about a reference as i have enough positive ones from over the years.

As i could do with my deposit back in advance to put down on a new place, would you think it possible he would play ball to gain access as soon as possible?

Well if you want your deposit sooner you will have to ask for it and give the access you deem unreasonable or why would he?

It's going to be all down to give and take. Seems he is another wants his cake and eat it landlord. He should not market untill you are gone as how does he know how and when you are going to move? Will that look good to anyone who does not want to be your landlord?

Basically you can make his life hard, he can make your hard but not as much (though you might have to involve the police if he cares littel for laws and just cares about what he thinks is fair).

Only you know the sort of person he is.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sounds like a case of cake-and-eat-it Landlord meets cake-and-eat-it Tenant. Probably not going to end well.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    maybe offer one evening a week and 2 saturday mornings a month?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Between 11:23 & 11:31 every 3rd Sunday.

Simply say no:. Unless landord offers some ££££ inventive
  • tempest84
    tempest84 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Between 11:23 & 11:31 every 3rd Sunday.

Simply say no:. Unless landord offers some ££££ inventive

Hilarious :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Look for a good compromise. Agree to viewings at times that suit you in exchange for an early, no penalty release when you find another property to rent. A reference from this landlord showing on time rent payments and a fair assessment of your tenancy would also be appreciated.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Is that the full wording? It is more usual for the clause to say "in the last month/2 months of the tenancy to allow......".

Under contract law, since you agreed to the contract term, yes it s enforcible. Though in practice enforcement is slow/costly.

Are you in a fixed term or periodic tenancy?

But forget the law. You want yor deposit back early, the landlord wants access for viwings. Surely you can agree a compromise between you?

You agree to access at reasonable specific times, and agree to keep the prperty looking neat for buyers if in return the LL agrees to return your deposit early, and be flexible about the amount of notice you need to serve if you find somewhere else?

Rather than confrontation, reach an agreement (and then confirm it in writing!).
  • kiddy_guy
    kiddy_guy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    To answer the OP, this point is habitually discussed on this forum

The right to quiet enjoyment says that you do not have to allow the landlord access.

On the other hand he might point to the clauses within the contract.

For him to take the matter to court would take longer than the Notice Period on the property so it's basically never been tested in court and is highly unlikely to ever be.

On that basis general consensus of most reasonable posters is that if you wish to deny him access you're entitled to do so. If you absolutely want to stop him entry change the locks but keep the original barrels to replace them when you move out.

However the landlord may not look on this favourably when you move out and he may take the mickey with deductions which will mean you're getting to whole discussion with him at a later stage about what's reasonable via the tenant deposit service.

If I was in your shoes I would either deny access completely and explain to the landlord why, or I'd come to an amicable decision where you allow access whilst you're there Saturday mornings twice a month.
  • The_Palmist
    The_Palmist Posts: 771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been to plenty of viewings while tenants were there and happily showed me around, why is this a big deal unless access is being asked at unreasonable time.

No point making anyones life hard just for the sake of it.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    True, but worth it for a few £k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business