PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Milngavie (Glasgow)

Hi

I'm new to this forum and have decided to seek advice here as I am now beginning to look for properties to buy as a FTB.

I was wondering if anyone could give their views on the area in the title, and more specifically anything around Clober Road?

I am mainly looking at properties within Hyndland in the Glasgow city centre, but I am also keeping an open mind with regard to Milngavie, Bearsden and Linlithgow, on a budget of up to £230k for a property that is at least 2 but preferably 3 bedrooms.

Comments

• ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you live in Glasgow?

There are flats and houses on that road.

Do you have kids that will go to the local school? Or kids in future?

You have confused me - linlithgow??? Thats nowhere near the areas you mention though?
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    5th best in Alba according to the Post Office?
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15126863.The_top_10_most_desirable_places_to_live_in_Scotland_revealed/

But if it's spelled Milngavie why do they call it Mullgai?
  • Vertig0
    Vertig0 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ellie27 wrote: »
    Do you live in Glasgow?

There are flats and houses on that road.

Do you have kids that will go to the local school? Or kids in future?

You have confused me - linlithgow??? Thats nowhere near the areas you mention though?

I'm considering areas that are c. 30 mins to the city centre of Glasgow. I do live in Glasgow at present and no, no kids; just myself and someone else. The attraction of Linlithgow is that it would make commuting to either of Edinburgh or Glasgow very easy, as it's around the same travel time by train to Glasgow as Milngavie. Unfortunately, it just doesn't have a particularly attractive supply of properties meeting those parameters usually.
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    AlexMac wrote: »
    5th best in Alba according to the Post Office?
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15126863.The_top_10_most_desirable_places_to_live_in_Scotland_revealed/

But if it's spelled Milngavie why do they call it Mullgai?
    It's so the locals can have a wee giggle at the outsiders expense ;). I'd have phonetically spelt it mill-guy but hey.

As has already been mentioned Linlithgow is miles away (closer to Edinbrugh than Glasgow).
    Hyndland and Milngavie are both really nice areas, which one is better depends on you/your family's age and lifestyle really. Milngavie is a quiet, suburban area with excellent schools, easy access to outdoor areas like the west highland way, Murdock country park and there's a big reservoir. Hyndland is more of a nice city neighbourhood, bit more lively, quicker transport links into town, and much cheaper taxis home from a night out.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • ellie27
    ellie27 Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Vertig0 wrote: »
    The attraction of Linlithgow is that it would make commuting to either of Edinburgh or Glasgow very easy, .

We live in Kirkintilloch/Lenzie and hubby works in Edinburgh. We used to live in Gartcosh which was also very handy for Edinburgh - into centre Glasgow 20 mins max on train.

I wouldnt think Bearsden/Milngavie the best if you want an in-between easy access to Glasgow and Edinburgh?
  • Vertig0
    Yeah they're not, and neither is Hyndland tbh, but it's not a must, just something I was thinking of as a nice to have in terms of wider access to jobs. Originally I was considering Edinburgh itself but I'm currently working in the city centre in Glasgow and plan to for at least another year; after that I'm considering a 1 year study break, again at a uni in Glasgow. Edinburgh is also way out of my price range for the most part!

Hyndland I am quite familiar with as it's about a 5 min walk from where I live, but obviously it is a bit pricier than the suburbs/villages I mentioned, even factoring in savings commutes. I was thinking about it being an easier commute in general, which it is, but it's not a huge advantage over Bearsden/Milngavie (albeit, it is over Newton Mearns.)

Basically I'm not much of a night out type, just like a nice selection of restaurants, cafes and shops locally, so Hyndland is very appealing, but I've heard Milngavie is not at all bad either... and it's so close to the city itself that it doesn't look like it'll make a difference.

Has Milngavie got any spots that are best off being avoided?
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know Milngavie well and have a number of customers in the town. There aren't REALLY any bad bits. Yes, there are schemes, but not as they're usually known.

I think you may be able to find a detached house just about at that budget, or a nice semi.

The area is superb for access to the countryside. It's not great for access to motorways. We've moved from Torrance to Lenzie, and I'd happily live anywhere from Milngavie to Lenzie.

Lenzie is better for motorways, but not so good for access to proper countryside. Douglas academy is excellent.

Feel free to message me if you see any specific houses
  • Vertig0
    I'll take you up on that, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts