Where to holiday in Malta?

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I was in Mellieha in January and had a few days in Bugibba during February with Mrs Sleazy. Bugibba seemed more 'touristy' to me, but wherever you go the buses seem to run everywhere anyway - 21 Euros for a weekly ticket. Lucky with the weather both places too...

It is very touristy....it's seamlessly joined to Qawra and St Paul's, which is where 'posh' people say they've been.

The closer you stay to Bigibba bus station, which is actually in Qawra, the more chance you have on getting a seat.

Standing up for an hour to Valletta the way some of the bus drivers drive isn't much fun.

What is interesting to watch on a [very] full bus is watching passengers accidentally pressing the Stop Bell with their bum, bag, shoulder, or whatever else.....the reaction of the bus driver can be hilarious if he keeps having to get further behind schedule because he has to stop the vehicle for no-one to get off.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My DH works in Malta. Driving and parking are a nightmare. He was there last week and said the winds and storms made it very unpleasant. I have to say he is not a fan of the place but they do say familiarity breeds contempt. I have enjoyed my trips there but then I wasn't working!
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We had a fab holiday a couple of years ago, staying in Gharb on Gozo. We hired a car from the airport for the week (pre-booked to save money) and had no problems driving around, perhaps because Gozo is quiet compared to the larger island. Getting around on foot was also easy.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,290
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    I went to Malta last year for the first time. I stayed in Sliema , loved the place. I actually thought the food and drink were reasonably priced. I will most certainly go back to Malta.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Forumite
    I went to Malta last year for the first time. I stayed in Sliema , loved the place. I actually thought the food and drink were reasonably priced. I will most certainly go back to Malta.

I went in autumn 2016 so before the Brexit vote and so no more expensive than here.

We went for a sightseeing break and thoroughly enjoyed it and being October the weather was good but not so crowded as some posters have said. We bought a week's bus pass and it was fine.

We stayed in Barruta Bay which is just off Sliema. Personally I wouldn't fancy the large hotels in the larger resorts but if you like lively then Malta offers this too.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I went in autumn 2016 so before the Brexit vote and so no more expensive than here.
    I thought I saw you there in Autumn 2015. Must have been someone else. ;)
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,777
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Was in Malta just over a fortnight ago. Stayed in Sliema at the St Julian's Bay end so could walk there each evening to the restaurants. Thought the restaurants in St Julian's were good, reasonably priced and portions quite large and enjoyed the beer.

21 euros for a 7 day bus pass to take you around the island but the buses were already very busy in February so don't count on them being on time or even stopping if full.

I never spend a great deal on accommodation as the hotel is usually just for sleeping but I managed to get 4 nights for a little over £80 which I was very happy with.

I thought it was a great place for a holiday. Easy to see lot of things, ancient temples, natural landmarks, old cities etc or to relax. It's clear I was lucky to go when I did regarding the weather as it was very pleasant when I was there.
  • PompeyPete
    Forumite
    Lots of Italians in Malta, some good Italian restaurants.....their conversation sometimes gets lost in translation though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFQFvSPhQ8

:beer::rotfl::beer:
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »

I went last year the week after the referendum result so I felt the pain of the crashing pound. I never change money in advance but I wish I had this time.
  • PompeyPete
    Forumite
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I went last year the week after the referendum result so I felt the pain of the crashing pound. I never change money in advance but I wish I had this time.

A couple of filling fresh pastizzi @ 30 cents each for every meal.....washed down by 500ml cans of Martens Gold @ one €uro a can.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure