Two completely different quotes for garden lighting

Options
Andrew_Ryan_89
Andrew_Ryan_89 Posts: 530 Forumite
Hi guys,

I have two quotes to get electricity in put in the garden. One quote was £250 and the other was £900. The person quoting £900 wanted to install another fuse box and have a cable going from there around the entire garden (which isn't large, probably (10x6m). I also showed a picture of my garden to another electrician I bumped into and he said it would cost roughly that.

Another electrician (who has installed a few lights for me) quoted £250. To install the security light, he will run it from the plug socket in the kitchen and install a (I think it's called) transformer. To do the electricity in the garden (garden lights and sockets for a water feature etc.), he will run the cable from the fuse box and around the garden.

The cheaper quote is obviously more favorable but I am a little lost why the 2 quotes are so different. Any advice?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not an electrician, so feel free to correct me - but the cheap option sounds iffy on the verge of dangerous to me!
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    I'm not an electrician, so feel free to correct me - but the cheap option sounds iffy on the verge of dangerous to me!

I was thinking the same thing. He has fit a couple lights and a dimmer switch for me and seem pretty competent. Neat worker and knows what he is talking about. The reason why I never dismissed it completely because it reminded me of a previous quote I got for hanging a TV on the wall.

One proper-professional looking came to see the job. He had the van, flashy website, pencil in the year and spewing a bunch of nonsense about HDMI cables and such. He quoted £350 to fit the TV to the wall and was talking about chasing the wall etc. No need to chase the wall as the TV is going on plaster board in front of a real chimney, so the hollow space to run the cables are already there. I didn't go for it as they guy couldn't give me a price. So another guy comes over. Again, flashy website and specializes in media installation. He wants to chase the whole wall out. Again, I bring up the fact the wall is hollow but he says there is not enough space.

In the end, I went with a third guy. No website, cheapest quote and found him one one of those check-a-websites. He comes over, drills three holes in the wall, threads the cables through and hangs the TV. Simple.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The cheap guy mentioned a transformer, is he talking about low voltage cable around the garden while the others are talking about mains voltage?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    The cheap guy mentioned a transformer, is he talking about low voltage cable around the garden while the others are talking about mains voltage?

If I remember correctly, the cheap guy is going to run a security camera and spot light from the plug socket in the kitchen, drilling through to the outside and installing a transformer.

For the lights, he will run it from the fuse box (mains?). The expensive guy would do the same thing but said he would need to install another fuse box. Hope that makes sense.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Security camera , spot lights and lights £250 with installation method described just screams cowboyyyyy no matter how neat and tidy....
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Security camera , spot lights and lights £250 with installation method described just screams cowboyyyyy no matter how neat and tidy....

If he's supplying the materials for that price it makes you wonder where they're coming from.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    I'm buying the lights and camera with him judge doing the installation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure