Options

Comments

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2016 at 7:18AM
    Options
    mattytun wrote: »
    What version of "Firefox" are you using I've got the latest version 49.0.1 and its working ok.

49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The lack of engagement from MSE on this is a disgrace. I've started tweeting them about it, suggest others do the same.
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    keep getting timed out now :(
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    100mg wrote: »
    I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link.
    Unless you're Tim Berners-Lee, this is unlikely. Even if you are, info.cern.ch , the http server for which went online 25 years and two months ago, didn't have target="_blank" on any of the links and the orignal text based browser ran in a shell and didn't have tabs.

Perhaps a bit less than 25 years?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    This is very annoying.

Assuming this is a genuine or significant security issue, which I doubt, I'm not aware that any other site I use has tried to fix this in such a ham-fisted way.

Certainly not one which breaks the usability of the site/forums.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE have just told me via Twitter that they are working on this and will post an update soon. I have made it clear that I think that better engagement with forum users on this is required.
  • Former_MSE_Matt
    Former_MSE_Matt Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far and we realise this is an extremely frustrating update, but an essential security requirement nonetheless.

In reference to the details on One-Eye's post we have not changed the links on the RHS as we know the to be secure. We have not backdated the security update to include links posted in the forum pre- 3rd October as we know they have not caused any issue so far and the job requirement is too big for us to be able to deal with at the moment.

The current fix is something we know to work for the short term despite the functionality issue, we know, being extremely frustrating for most of you (forum users), especially the compers and those using the competitions board.

As some of you have already highlighted; you can still use the CTRL button and/or right-click 'open in new tab' options or for tablet or mobile devices hold down the link and wait for the popup window. We very much appreciate your patience and feedback and ask you to please bear with us as we scope out a solution that overcomes this functionality gap AND secures the site simultaneously.

regards
    Matt

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MSE_Matt wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback so far and we realise this is an extremely frustrating update, but an essential security requirement nonetheless.

In reference to the details on One-Eye's post we have not changed the links on the RHS as we know the to be secure. We have not backdated the security update to include links posted in the forum pre- 3rd October as we know they have not caused any issue so far and the job requirement is too big for us to be able to deal with at the moment.

Thanks for this Matt, please continue to keep us updated.

Could clever use of MSE's "rude word filter" be used to prevent the posting of links with the security issue?
  • Former_MSE_Matt
    Options
    I'll definitely run this by the dev team but I know they have been over all the options for the security forum fix at the moment. - I'll keep you posted.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    redfox wrote: »
    49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.

Did you move the "Slider" bar like in the picture?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5535167&page=2
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family