Butti's Journey: A matter of loaf and death

Comments

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2016 at 11:22AM
    TBH Beanie, as ever that is good advice from you.
    Thank you x

Hi dad,
    My phone number is ............... You can leave a message on here if I am not in / unable to answer.
    My email address is .................. You can also leave a message here.

I cannot give you my work phone number. It is for work related calls only and to do otherwise is frowned upon.

Sent today - It's not strictly true but fairly close to the truth
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Butti
    Went to see Susan Calman yesterday which was very funny.

Describing herself arriving on the set of QI and sitting between Stephen Fry and Sandi Toksvig. 'It's like a sandwich formed of beautifully crafted artisan bread with loads of classic ingrediants like olives and then shoving a dairy lea cheese slice in the middle".
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Butti wrote: »
    • C Connect with others
    • L Learn new things
    • A Keep active
    • N Notice things, live in the moment
    • G Give back to others, volunteer
    • E Eat well
    • R Relax
    • S Sleep

CLANGERS is quite appropriate for the NHS...
    Talking of anger, and not in a good way..... Yes, its that man again. My brother rang and asked me to ring my dad so I did. It was about my cousin's wedding in a fortnight. My dad was offering me a bed for the night before. Fortunately my brother has already offered me a bed.
    He then asked me if he could have my work number and I said okay. But really its not okay. Part of the reason its not okay is that my workplace is a calm, supportive environment where I am trusted to get on with my job and as a result I can do a professional and competent job with stress kept to a minimum. The last thing I need is an unpredictable passive aggressive man on the end of the phone trying to bait me. So I have to think of how I can put that in a slightly more palatable message.

Well basically, IMHO he wants your work number because you're obviously not paying him enough attention in his opinion. At work, you have to be there, and you have to answer the phone, so he believes he has a virtual captive audience.

You're right not to give him that number.

You're worrying too much about making it palatable - too much of a desire to please?
    How about;
    • I work in a calm environment and am keen to avoid introducing volatile elements into that

:rotfl:
    • Oh and by the way I am about to start a tranche of treatment for a bout of depression

:grouphug:

In slightly better news I am spending a shedload less at Edinburgh than I budgeted for.

Less presents than normal, or cheaper beer? :beer:
    TBH Beanie, as ever that is good advice from you.
    Thank you x

Hi dad,
    My phone number is ............... You can leave a message on here if I am not in / unable to answer.
    My email address is .................. You can also leave a message here.

I cannot give you my work phone number. It is for work related calls only and to do otherwise is frowned upon.

Sent today - It's not strictly true but fairly close to the truth

Don't worry about being strictly true. "Palatable" and "strictly true" are diametrically opposed in his general area...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    ZTD wrote: »
    CLANGERS is quite appropriate for the NHS...

You're worrying too much about making it palatable - too much of a desire to please?

Less presents than normal, or cheaper beer? :beer:

Don't worry about being strictly true. "Palatable" and "strictly true" are diametrically opposed in his general area...

You are correct of course. My main source of stress throughout my childhood was a desire to please and the impossibility of ever achieving that goal!
    Time I got over it really.

I think in Edinburgh I have just eaten less (or eaten more at breakfast and fasted for the rest of the day!), drank less and made sure I drank before I reached the venue. Because let me tell you, the beer is crap at the venues AND incredibly expensive. Like a double whammy but in a bad way.

No presents would be more appropriate - this is not America!
    Some shortbread from a newsagent for work will do!
    48% off mortgage

• ZTD
    You are correct of course. My main source of stress throughout my childhood was a desire to please and the impossibility of ever achieving that goal!
    Time I got over it really.

You may be able to repress it, but "getting over it" is probably not something you'll manage - it's probably part of your makeup, and so not a trivial thing.
    I think in Edinburgh I have just eaten less (or eaten more at breakfast and fasted for the rest of the day!), drank less and made sure I drank before I reached the venue. Because let me tell you, the beer is crap at the venues AND incredibly expensive. Like a double whammy but in a bad way.

Is it crap beer brands that they're selling, or just not keeping them right?
    No presents would be more appropriate - this is not America!
    Some shortbread from a newsagent for work will do!

And there I was, thinking you'd be commemorative beer all round... ;)
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    ZTD wrote: »

Is it crap beer brands that they're selling, or just not keeping them right?

And there I was, thinking you'd be commemorative beer all round... ;)

The beer at the venues is generally, but not entirely, rubbish brands served okay. Elsewhere there have been pubs where I have had to point out unless my IPA is unfiltered or he has served me a wheat beer by mistake, it should be clearer than it is. a quick sniff usually confirms it.

I still can't do multiple quotes! Can't remember how to do it.

You are right Zed. An eagerness to please will stay with me for life. It's all about fitting in when you are very small to ensure you remain with the pack and are not cast out to be eaten by a wolf. I think the risk was quite high on parts of Teesside!
    48% off mortgage

• ZTD
    The beer at the venues is generally, but not entirely, rubbish brands served okay.

"Profit maximising" as they say. It's irritating as it costs almost as much to produce crap beer as good beer.
    Elsewhere there have been pubs where I have had to point out unless my IPA is unfiltered or he has served me a wheat beer by mistake, it should be clearer than it is. a quick sniff usually confirms it.

That is pretty poor. These people should know their stuff.

But at least you seem to have enjoyed this little jaunt. It's good to get away sometimes.
    I still can't do multiple quotes! Can't remember how to do it.

:rotfl:

I'll have to run a training course...
    You are right Zed. An eagerness to please will stay with me for life. It's all about fitting in when you are very small to ensure you remain with the pack and are not cast out to be eaten by a wolf. I think the risk was quite high on parts of Teesside!

More likely to end up in a kebab than a wolf to be fair. Mainly because a wolf is likely to end up in a kebab too... :rotfl: ;)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Free comedy events today. Not quite free in reality unless you are really mercenary!!

Unlike a free lunch. I was thinking how wrong that phrase was when I was blackberry picking!
    48% off mortgage

• ZTD
    Unlike a free lunch. I was thinking how wrong that phrase was when I was blackberry picking!

Blackberry picking is only free if you don't value your own time.

Some comedy I've see "free on TV" was only free if I don't value the 45 minutes that isn't coming back into my life... :eek:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    edited 22 August 2016 at 3:02PM
    Blackberry picking is free if the alternative is sitting on your !!!! watching TV.

I have enough trouble valuing myself let alone my time!
    48% off mortgage

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure