Craziest/most stupid reason you have been blocked?

A seller listed a clothing item for £35 which was originally around £12. They had a "best offer" so I offered £15, adding that I knew it was originally x price. They declined and I went to offer a bit more because I really wanted it and found I had been blocked.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A seller listed a clothing item for £35 which was originally around £12. They had a "best offer" so I offered £15, adding that I knew it was originally x price. They declined and I went to offer a bit more because I really wanted it and found I had been blocked.

Offering less than half the BIN price would get you blocked by many sellers. It wastes their time dealing with daft offers and many (we have had threads on here about it) consider that sort of buyer to be a potential problem and best avoided.

In fairness even you must see that the offer you made, in the seller's eyes, was not serious and wasn't worth bothering to respond to and not worth bothering with in future. Whether or not I blocked someone depends though on their feedback left for others, that's often very telling and can make the difference between me blocking them or just ignoring them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!

It doesn't matter what price its was originally. If it is no longer available in the shops then that can make an item worth more to some people.

Also just because the seller has listed it for sale doesn't always mean they want rid of it. The will want a price and if they don't get it will probably kept the time and wear it themselves.
  • Ting-Tang
    Ting-Tang Posts: 129 Forumite
    If you offered me less than half of the asking price for something I was selling then I'd have blocked you too to be honest....
  • RoyaleMale
    RoyaleMale Posts: 257 Forumite
    I had a buyer who wanted one of my items and we came to an agreement of what he would pay in order for me to accept the offer.

He then used another account and tried to get a few quid knocked off by submitting slightly lower amounts, I presume it was his other account as the names were similar.

I rejected the offer from the 'new' user and received a rude message, claiming it's not worth anything and how I won't be able to sell it. I then blocked both his accounts. Do not want to deal with a buyer like that, not worth the hassle.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Ting-Tang wrote: »
    If you offered me less than half of the asking price for something I was selling then I'd have blocked you too to be honest....
    I think that's quite short sighted. Plenty of people chance it on a first offer (and surprisingly some sellers do accept). If you set auto reject you never see them. I was always surprised that there were often people who would willingly pay £200 for something when they had originally offered £5 for it.

When I ran a b&m auction there are many buyers who will start bidding at £1 when they are willing to go up to £1000. As an auctioneer that's particularly annoying and decreases your chance of the auctioneer noticing you on future bids.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A buyer who makes a very low offer will set all the alarm bells ringing for the seller. These are the buyers who being forced to up their offer will then come back in a weeks time and make a (false) claim for a part refund. They are best avoided to begin with.
  • Ting-Tang
    Ting-Tang Posts: 129 Forumite
    RFW, you might be right, and you're certainly right about what goes on at auctions.....but I usually find with ebay and the internet that a cheapskate is a cheapskate....And quite possibly a troublemaker too if you end up selling to them.
  • Im not a professional seller

Just blocked a buyer for the first time. I'm selling an item that is half of what three competitors' selling price. It's also nearly new.

The buyer sent 5 messages asking for more info, more pictures, provenance of the item. Last two messages were about haggling at the price and criticising the item. Only until the buyer started criticising my item that I lost my cool and blocked him/her.
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    I think that's quite short sighted. Plenty of people chance it on a first offer (and surprisingly some sellers do accept). If you set auto reject you never see them. I was always surprised that there were often people who would willingly pay £200 for something when they had originally offered £5 for it.

When I ran a b&m auction there are many buyers who will start bidding at £1 when they are willing to go up to £1000. As an auctioneer that's particularly annoying and decreases your chance of the auctioneer noticing you on future bids.

I have never yet had anyone who offered a stupid price go on to pay anything near the price I actually want. Auto rejecting is a good way of showing a buyer that the offer is silly, it means they either have to put in a serious offer or walk away, and can save both the buyer and seller effort and time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    soolin wrote: »
    I have never yet had anyone who offered a stupid price go on to pay anything near the price I actually want. Auto rejecting is a good way of showing a buyer that the offer is silly, it means they either have to put in a serious offer or walk away, and can save both the buyer and seller effort and time.
    Interesting. Most of the lots I had offers on were mixed wholesale lots so there was usually a big scope on price. I'd say it was probably more a 70/30 split of those who went on to make bigger offers and those who don't.

I still occasionally get asked to make offers on trade stocks and the value to me is less than it would be to some other buyers so I'm always careful not to offend the seller with a bad offer. I usually explain first and see if they had a price in mind.

In my experience those who make the worst offers are the ones who can afford to make higher offers to start with.

I once did a warehouse clearance for a company that was a multi million pound operation, they bought and sold clearance stocks across Europe. They had boxes of rejection letters telling them their offers were stupid and wasting the time of the seller. It looked like they relied on the one in a hundred that accepted their offers. There are some sellers who will take anything to get rid of something, so chancers, unfortunately, do prosper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure