Extracting head from sand and facing the truth

Hi

Not done anything like this before, not even sure what I'm about to write but i'm hoping this will keep me on track now that i am facing our situation once and for all. Joined years ago, started reducing debt, had two kids (now 8 and 10) and need to finally get a grip on finances as they are spiraling again.

I'm currently signed off work - due back 25th June. Trying to use the time constructively to sort money and budget. Feeling positive about the changes i have made so far, but still lots to work on.
Current debts, excluding mortgage:

Santander O/D £2,560.00
Barclaycard (1) £1,133.00
Barclaycard (2) £4,058.00
Virgin CC £5,508.00
MBNA £5,267.00
Total £18,526.00 :eek::(

I've compared and reduced our car insurances, home insurance, gas/lecci, pet insurance, mobile phone insurance, council tax is already spread over 12 months. Currently re-jigging above debts to 0%, awaiting a decision on Santander CC - keeping fingers crossed as Barclaycard 2 0% runs out at the end of this month so i'm hoping to transfer as much as i can to new card if approved.

Have been trying to keep a food spending diary and note alcohol spending too as i know we over-spend massively on food and alcohol. Absolutely horrified on what we are spending. This MUST be addressed!!!!

Have also been introduced to Dave Ramsey from reading others posts. It's finally hitting home this time. I want financial security and peace - not sleepless nights, stress and kids learning bad money habits!
Total Debt November 2018: £23, 795

Comments

• Good luck on your journey x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Lydia42
    Lydia42 Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So, got turned down for the Santander CC. Been looking at what else i can do to re-jig things as one of the Barclaycard 0% deals comes to an end this month.

I'm hoping to speak to hubbie this week to see if we can move it to one of his existing cards. If we can do this, we wont have any more credit checks or refusals against us and i can close the Barclaycard to prevent further temptation and also reduce the overall credit showing as available to me on my credit reports.

Need to update current SOA as just found out that work will no longer pay our internet (historically they have paid for a business line they installed years ago, but are reducing their own outgoings so we will be losing this perk).

Have been making a concerted effort having left-overs for lunch, and am currently meal planning using food from the freezer and cupboards and trying to just buy bread, milk and veg. Hoping to do a stock take tomorrow to allow proper meal planning to avoid shops as much as possible until pay day.
  • Lydia42
    Update: Spoke to Hubbie who has an empty MBNA card we haven't used in a long time. Did a money transfer to our bank account today at 0% until June 2021 and feel so relieved. This will clear the outstanding balance on the Barclaycard that is about revert to standard interest rate, and will also clear our O/D which is costing us around £40-60 a month in charges. So once the funds are clear i plan to close the Barclaycard, ask the bank to remove our overdraft and everything will be on 0%.

I've also opened a new joint account with Nationwide. We plan to leave all our monthly Direct Debits coming out of the Santander account so that we continue to get the cash back (123 lite account), and use the new Nationwide account for day to day stuff. We're working on a proper zero based budget, and plan to take out cash weekly for groceries etc. For the first time we are also looking at sink funds (Dave Ramsey) to cover annual items - although we may need to build these up as we have a few things to pay for over the next month or two. I actually feel like there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

The biggest relief has been speaking to hubbie and getting him on board for keeping track of everything we spend. I've told him if he gets a receipt i'm happy to reconcile everything so we can see how we are doing.

On another high note - 2nd no spend day in a row. Still using up food, and hoping to just need bread and milk. Been batch cooking so we now have lots of meals in the freezer too and no wasted veg.
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Wishing you all the best, I look forward to seeing how you are getting on. Knowing what you have been spending your money on is half the battle - I agree, its a big shock!!

You seem to have made a great start :)
  • Lydia42
    OK, so just checked total debt and it has gone up due to transfer fees to get balances onto 0%, and due to payments for school trips etc that i hadn't budgeted for. So total now stands at £19, 444!!!

:eek::

But I'm trying to look on the positive side of things and not panic or get disheartened. Everything is now on 0% except the remaining £260 of our Santander O/D which i couldn't fit onto hubbies CC. I plan to clear this outstanding balance this month if i can so that we no longer incur charges on this account. Charges will be £1 per day when overdrawn £0-£1000, so next months charges should be minimal and then hopefully nothing after that.

I'm super chuffed with myself as i have created my own budget tracker in excel (not very good with excel but it makes sense to me and i'm updating it daily) as well as logging into bank to check balance etc. Also keeping a track of mine and hubbies spending on petrol as we have only been able to guess this so far. Should be an eye opener!

Major steps the past few weeks have been lots more batch cooking and making sure i use up food rather than waste it. Working our way through the freezer and have joined the July Grocery Challenge on the Old Style Board to try and reduce food spending.

I'm still trying to do a zero balance budget. Definitely a work in progress but i'm told it should become easier with time. Over-all aside from the initial increase in debt, i'm feeling positive that I'm getting a handle on things. Will try and work out how to do a signature at some point :rotfl:

Nationwide account is all set up and open now, so i plan to use this next month when we start piggy banking in earnest. Trying not to confuse things too much at the moment, especially as we still have the O/D to clear with Santander, and want to leave as much money in there as possible all month so we don't get charged any more than absolutely necessary.
  • Happy new diary! You seem off to a really good start. Dave Ramsey is ace. Harsh and evangelical, but ace. I'm a big fan of his.

A zero based budget is the best thing I ever did. It takes about 3 months to get it right, so don't beat yourself up if you get it wrong the first couple of times. I didn't operate sinking funds for the first 9 months. I just paid for things as and when they happened and put whatever was left that month towards debt repayments. But, I had DF as my emergency fund. I now have my own emergency fund and it works just as well. I will, from January '19, operate sinking funds for everything - all annual and monthly expenses. I just wanted to do 'scorched earth' and rid a lot of my debt before I started them because I'm impatient and obstinate! :)

Look forward to seeing your journey develop.
  • Happy New Shiny Diary :) Also a DR fan here. :)
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Lydia42
    Happy new diary! You seem off to a really good start. Dave Ramsey is ace. Harsh and evangelical, but ace. I'm a big fan of his.

A zero based budget is the best thing I ever did. It takes about 3 months to get it right, so don't beat yourself up if you get it wrong the first couple of times. I didn't operate sinking funds for the first 9 months. I just paid for things as and when they happened and put whatever was left that month towards debt repayments. But, I had DF as my emergency fund. I now have my own emergency fund and it works just as well. I will, from January '19, operate sinking funds for everything - all annual and monthly expenses. I just wanted to do 'scorched earth' and rid a lot of my debt before I started them because I'm impatient and obstinate! :)

Look forward to seeing your journey develop.

Thanks. Yeah, the zero based budget has been a real eye opener, and it's definitely going to take a few months to get the hang of it. I'm sure a few pennies are unaccounted for, but by and large i'm shocked how quickly unplanned things have crept in. Mostly school or kids clubs related this month. Keeping a track of it all has made me realise i need to cut back in other areas to keep the budget on track. I think your idea of no sinking funds is probably a better idea until we get to grips with things and pay more of the debt off. I've already had to alter some of these sinking funds as i needed to pay them this month eg. Hubbie has to pay registration fee every 6 months for his profession. I plan to budget for this in the future but had to pay £45 this month as it was due. Similarly i tried to save a bit for clothes this month as i will need to buy school uniform and shoes over the summer holidays, but my son is moving up to secondary school and his blazer and tie had to be bought this week at the induction evening.

I hope to start saving for car repairs too, but my exhaust sounds like it is blowing now. I'm hoping to ask my brother to take a look at it when he returns from holiday to see if he can patch it up to last a little longer :cool: I think I'm going to be raiding the sink funds constantly at the moment as our budget is so tight and sods law means that things break or go wrong at the most inconvenient of times.

I'm managing to log on and check our bank account daily and am keeping the spending spreadsheet up to date daily too which means i am actually aware of how much we are spending and how we need to really be careful until pay day on the food front if we are to control any over-spending. I'll be much happier once July is over as i'll know how much our newest credit card payment will be, along with hopefully a refund on our energy bill as we have recently transferred to a new provider. :j
  • Lydia42
    Oh, on another positive note i have spoken to Barclaycard and they have confirmed that the card i recently cleared (credit limit of £13, 500) has been cleared and closed. So no temptation to use this for any reason - hoorah!!!! I also reduced our Santander over-draft from £4000 to £1000 too. Happy days!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport