IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Bw legal letter

Hey guys,

I have today received a letter from bw legal after weeks of hearing nothing from a company trying to persue me for an alleged overstay at a car park.
What the experience with this company? For this one ticket I've had about 3 different companies contacting me trying to scare me into paying it. So far I've ignored everything I've been sent (maybe not the best idea but I can't go back now) so shall I continue to ignore them?
I've read some stuff online about how harassing they can be. Any advice on what to do next?

Comments

• Thank you.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 May 2018 at 10:58AM
    Who is the parking company, at this moment I assume
    either VCS or Excel who are known rogue traders.

It depends what the BWLegal letter says and so for others
    to comment, could you upload a scanned copy to a free hosting
    site .... REMOVING ALL PERSONAL DATA ETC
    Show the link as httx and not http and someone will make it live

In the meantime, read all about BWLegal

BWLegal - the list of failures growing
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5672664&highlight=bwlegal
  • I've had another letter this morning from bw legal, it has a reply form so i dtate wether or not i think i owe the debt and another form asking me to detail my earnings etc. Obviously I'm not gunna do this. But do I have to do anything with these forms?
  • I'm such a newbie to all of this and I honestly feel useless I have no idea what I'm doing. :(
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes of course you do

You need to repsond to their LBA, but you do not have to use the form.

Have a look on the NEWBIES thread about this stage - post 2, from memory. No hand wringing here, you have to EDUCATE YOURSELF on this topic - the aid is here bu tyou have to do work yourself.
  • beamerguy
    I've had another letter this morning from bw legal, it has a reply form so i dtate wether or not i think i owe the debt and another form asking me to detail my earnings etc. Obviously I'm not gunna do this. But do I have to do anything with these forms?

Your earnings are nothing to do with BWLegal ???

This is just junk to scare you

Do they ask you to pay a third party such as DRP ?
    If so, it's just another debt collector letter ... TO IGNORE

For BWLegal to take it further, they must follow the
    new procedure which means they must tell you and
    prove to you their claim.
    This involves a lot of work by BWLegal and they must
    give you 30 days to respond.

Asking for your earnings has nothing to do with any claim
    and I would refer the letter to Trading Standards together
    with Sir Greg Knight who is currently passing a bill regarding
    this scam industry
    https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/sir-greg-knight/1200

It's because such legals behave like bad children and
    back street collectors that this bill hopefully will
    scupper them in future
  • The letter I have received this morning says I have 30 days to respond to tell then wether I am accepting I am liable to pay the money or not.

I'm happy to do it I just feel a bit lost it's all bit complicated to me haha
    I'll read through the thread again as I read it a few months ago. Just wanna make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.
  • beamerguy
    The letter I have received this morning says I have 30 days to respond to tell then wether I am accepting I am liable to pay the money or not.

I'm happy to do it I just feel a bit lost it's all bit complicated to me haha
    I'll read through the thread again as I read it a few months ago. Just wanna make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.

Then you respond saying you are not liable as keeper

Did they follow the procedure giving proof of their claim

Suggest you take the full 30 days to respond probably
    day 27 and post using "proof of posting" and getting
    a receipt of the date. Do not send by signed for delivery
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure