Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,323Posts
    • 7,129Thanks
    Nicnak
    Debt Free Year
    • 10th Sep 17, 8:30 PM
    Debt Free Year 10th Sep 17 at 8:30 PM
    Hi,

I've pretty much buried my head in the sand over the past 15 years about debt and what it means. I've always seen it as 'normal' to have debt for things, and never thought twice about it. Recently though, I have wanted to think about cutting down my work hours, and I just can't. I can't be the mum I want to be to my 4 year old because I need to work to make sure I can pay the bills and debts. That is when it hit home, that I can't continue like this. I am having a wedding reception in December, which I know is going to take up most of my 'spare' cash, but from January 2018, I will make a difference to my debts.

Currently have
    485 0% credit card. It was 2000 in July, So I have been ensuring that I am working on it.
    7500 Tesco loan at 3.2% - Paying 220 a month and due up in Three years
    17,450 car loan. Car is in negative equity and I'm stuck in the PCP. The car also is over mileage and has damage. I am 10 months away from handing it back, but with excess mileage and damage, I am thinking this might not be the best idea. Currently paying 351 a month for this luxury that I am thinking I don't need. (I shouldn't have got it, but I did, I can't change what I have stupidly done, and now need to work on the best options).
    I spend money every month on things I don't need, and really need somewhere to record and focus on what it is I am doing, and the inspiration to keep going when I see progress is being made.

I've started a written diary as well to try to help. If I pay off these debts, then I know that I will be 500 better off. In April, my phone is due up for renewal, and I have already looked at the SIM only deals which will take it to the 500 a month mark.

i am going to try to earn some extra per month to pay off the debts, which in the short term might reduce the time I have with my daughter.

Here goes...

I really need to do this now.
Page 58
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I seem to remember you had handed your notice in , so assume you have another job or are you going self employed if you intend paying all your debt off.

I hope your ex moving things doesn't cause to many problems for you today , and that you enjoy your meal with the family.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Nov 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I seem to remember you had handed your notice in , so assume you have another job or are you going self employed if you intend paying all your debt off.

I hope your ex moving things doesn't cause to many problems for you today , and that you enjoy your meal with the family.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria, yes i have a plan x
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st Oct
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #71
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Nov 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    That sounds interesting, we will look forward to reading about it.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    Nicnak
    That sounds interesting, we will look forward to reading about it.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I don't want to count my chickens yet, so will wait until January before revealing x
    Credit Card 0 now: 0 Tesco Loan 7500 = 0 Consolidation 15,000 = 10,812 Total = 25,330 10,812 59% gone EMF #252 = 1300/1000
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 40,398 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope ex isn't too awkward today. Enjoy your family meal.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Nov 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Things were difficult and he still needs to empty the loft. He just ended up doing the garage today.

It always ends up tough. He had some stuff here that he kept here since we split. I started to put them in his car but he didn't want them he said they needed putting in the bin, but they're stuff that needs taking to the tip. I Just put them in his car. I don't want to be moving his stuff to the tip.

I just want it to be over. Every time he comes round for more stuff it gets tough and difficult. He asked for some washing tablets as he hadn't had chance to buy any yet. I gave him 3.

Family meal was lovely. We had 60 in vouchers to use so it was a lot cheaper than it should have been for 6 of us. x
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 11th Nov 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Well today has been up and down.

Firstly, we did the remembrance day walk. That always has me getting a bit emotional as the band went up the street playing the old songs. Then there is the ceremony at the cenotaph before walking back. I always branch off 3/4 of the way back as it leads me to my street.

Then ex came and started to take things from the garage. Little one always gets emotional about something while he was here. This time I upset her because I didn't listen to her about something. I apologised to her and then she came down and was ok. These clear outs always end up fraught as I really hate it. He's obviously finding it tough too and then our heightened emotions make it difficult.

I was just making up my nephews presents when my sister text asking me to go to the pub with her for an hour. I was upset so decided to get out the house. I wasn't drinking obviously, but had a really nice afternoon with her just chatting. Little one had a few friends in there so she was happy playing with them.

Then I went to my sisters and we went for the meal. my parents paid for it so it ended up a really cheap night. The pub was an unexpected spend, but my sister bought most of that anyway. It's my nephews birthday tomorrow so no dancing for little one. Plus, she didn't go to cheerleading yesterday as she is full of a cough and cold. That's 9 saved.

Nectar is tomorrow so I will be going there early to make sure I get the bits i want.

I'm tired today now. Just completed some ironing and now watching TV.

Hope everyone had a good day. x
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 15th Nov 18, 10:00 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 4,296 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Hope you're doing ok, be kind to yourself and DD when ex comes by to take things, it must be so hard on the both of you.

You did the right thing putting the things in his car, its not your responsibility to take them to the tip, if he doesn't want to keep things then he has to dispose of them. I don't think I would have been as kind as you giving him 3 washing tablets, I might have made a snide comment to use the penny jar but then I can be a little bitter about these things and I'm still angry at him for taking it on your behalf.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Nov 18, 11:26 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hope you're doing ok, be kind to yourself and DD when ex comes by to take things, it must be so hard on the both of you.

You did the right thing putting the things in his car, its not your responsibility to take them to the tip, if he doesn't want to keep things then he has to dispose of them. I don't think I would have been as kind as you giving him 3 washing tablets, I might have made a snide comment to use the penny jar but then I can be a little bitter about these things and I'm still angry at him for taking it on your behalf.
    Originally posted by DebtFreeDuo
    I would have told him to use the penny jar too 😡
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,440 Total Now Owed = 16,190
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 15th Nov 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    Nicnak
    He emailed me yesterday to tell me he is dating and has been for a while and he is introducing her to our daughter next week as a friend.

I've told him it is the wrong thing to do, but when she is with him I can't stop him from doing it.

I've had a tough week. Just taking time out at the minute.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 15th Nov 18, 3:11 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 4,296 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    He emailed me yesterday to tell me he is dating and has been for a while and he is introducing her to our daughter next week as a friend.

I've told him it is the wrong thing to do, but when she is with him I can't stop him from doing it.

Originally posted by Nicnak
    I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time. How long could a while possibly be? You haven't been separated long have you? Absolutely not the right thing to do, your DD must already be feeling overwhelmed by it all, why is he not thinking about the effect it will have on your poor DD. I'm sorry but the more you tell me about this man the more I dislike him. Sorry for the rant, my inbox is open if you ever need to rant, I'm not sure there's anything left that I haven't covered with my ex so can at least sympathise with you. Thinking of you both x
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    Onebrokelady

Originally posted by Nicnak
    Definitely the wrong thing to do,how long has he known this woman and is he going to be in a committed relationship with her,your right though you can't stop him while your DD is with him

I have been through the same with my ex when mine were small and luckily they were ok with it but he just couldn't see what the problem was,mind you he told me he had just met this girl and eventually I found out that he had been seeing her all along and that's why he thought it was ok, they had got to the stage where they wanted to move in together so he had to introduce her and he tried to tell me they had only met a few months before ,it all came out in the end though
    I have had it with men now,I'm so happy being single I will never risk my happiness for the sake of a man again that's for sure
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,440 Total Now Owed = 16,190
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Nov 18, 9:15 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 40,398 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh dear there are some awful men out there . But never say never, maybe you'll meet someone nice enough to deserve you one day .

EX will eventually run out of things to take and then you can tell him to jog on, but it's very upsetting for you in the meantime. It does make you wonder how long he's been seeing this 'friend' .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = 17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,278Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin