Dept. Work & Pensions debt

Options
Hello there,
I am speaking on behalf of my partner. A number of years ago she suffered an illness for a few years and was supported by benefits. She also suffers from high mental health issues. Thankfully she progressed and was able to return to work eventually. However she was more focussed on surviving and continuing to do so, subsequently the benefits still came in during her employment.
She understood the benefits to be something paid to her until she was 100% recovered, and wasn't in a right mental state to fully understand the situation.Dwp now say due to her not informing them of her employment she is now required to pay £15000 back and will only accept a minimum of £250 monthly repayments, which is almost a third of her monthly wage. Thus now potentially causing her further debt, stress and recurrence of illness.
My post is to understand whether anyone knows where she stands. I am surprised they have been so forceful knowing her history and not delving into her current finances before demanding such a high repayment fee. Leaving her without money for general expenses and food, of which I now have to support her with.
Hope someone can help.. Thank you.

Comments

• midnight_express
    midnight_express Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    Options
    Given the level of the overpayment and that the fraud was over a long period of time they have been lenient. Cases such as this often result in a prosecution for fraud and sometimes a prison sentence.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Nomissbocaj

Please bear in mind that DWP may have simply defaulted to this rate they have demanded as it is a round figure - they won't know all of your household's precise ins and outs, so the onus is on your partner to make them aware of her current financial position in greater detail and attempt to negotiate more manageable payments on that basis. Putting together a budget or Statement of Affairs (SOA) - see link below - is essential:

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

On the flip side, it is worth pointing out that DWP can potentially seek to dock payments from her wages through a Direct Earnings Attachment if negotiations lead nowhere:

https://www.gov.uk/make-benefit-debt-deductions

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    So it will take five years to repay the £15,000 without interest. I don't think the DWP could extend it much beyond that, tbh.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • JonVarnas
    JonVarnas Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options

On the flip side, it is worth pointing out that DWP can potentially seek to dock payments from her wages through a Direct Earnings Attachment if negotiations lead nowhere:

Judging by that link the DWP would only take up to 10% of £750 earnings so there must be some wriggle room.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    That is the higher rate, which I believe is for cases shown to be fraud. The standard rate is

Employee monthly pay Deductions from earnings

£100 or less £430 or less Nothing to deduct
    £430.01 to £690 3%
    £690.01 to £950 5%
    £950.01 to £1,160 7%
    £1,160.01 to £1,615 11%
    £1,615.01 to £2,240 15%
    More than £2,240 20%
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    It sounds like an interest free loan to me. Borrow £15,000 and pay it back over a length of time at 0%. Or are there penalties on top?
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Nomissbocaj
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. She never intentionally committed fraud. However this is something I am personally campaigning against now as mental health issues are serious, the dwp didn't care and the risks of pushing someone into great financially difficulty could have severe repercussions. Yes the repayment is greater than any form of prison sentence, but to not even discuss with her about her income and whether the repayments were affordable surprised me. I shall put everyone's comments and suggestions to her and see if there is any negotiating with the dwp to be done. Thanks again.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    There are 3 definitions of fraud in benefit overpayments:
    1. being found guilty at court
    2. admitting fraud at an interview under caution
    3. accepting an administrative penalty

Many people are pushed into (2) or (3) without realising the consequences when the dwp or local council would have a hard job getting (1).
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Given the level of the overpayment and that the fraud was over a long period of time they have been lenient. Cases such as this often result in a prosecution for fraud and sometimes a prison sentence.

Fraud ?

Where mental health issues are concerned I doubt that would hold water.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Fraud ?

Where mental health issues are concerned I doubt that would hold water.

In court, with proper support that may be true.

And that's one reason why the benefit agencies prefer to go for (2) or (3) from my list. They can then deduct from existing benefits at a higher rate and protect their debt from insolvency.

My council went through a phase of doing this with housing benefit overpayments in DROs, even many years after the incident
    was discovered. They do seem to have backed off once we flagged it up as an unfair practice though.

Little known fact worth throwing in here - If you sign the agreement to an administrative penalty you have 28 days to change your mind - at which point any recoveries of the administrative penalty will be refunded to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure