Account lost by Halifax

Options
Hi All,

My brother's account has been "lost" by Halifax. They can't find any record of it, and he doesnt know whether direct debits are still going to work or how much money is left in his account. Astonishing!

I've just lend him money for this months rent with my savings.

Halifax say they are investigating.

Advice to all- ALWAYS have 2 current accounts, and make sure you have your statements sent by post to home- NOT ONLINE.

Will keep you all updated with how their investigation goes and what time frame. He may need to raise this with the financial ombudsman.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you sure he banks with Halifax?

It!!!8217;s unusual for an account to be !!!8220;lost!!!8221;
  • Alz1986
    Alz1986 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, he's had the account for a little while and uses it regularly from shopping to going to work etc. Its unbelievable. He even went to branch and they couldn't find it.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How did he become aware of this?

Did his debit card stop working?

Can he not login?

Does his account number not work?

(Your friends don't seem to have a lot of luck with banks! I hope your girlfriend got access to her Lloyds account in the end)
  • Alz1986
    Alz1986 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I guess its a forum where people share issues. My girlfriends activation code came through eventially!

He became aware by not being able to access accounts by logging in. Then he called them and they said they cant trace the account now.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I cant understand how an account can get lost?

There will be automatic transaction notes on the account if the account was closed or switched out, new card issued, change of address, contact made with telephone banking.

When your brother goes into the branch they cant see his account on their screens?

What happens when he puts his card into the iPads?

I would suggest your brother returns to branch as there will be a record of the account even if it has been closed, (they will be able to tell you when and possibly why)

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Hi,

I cant understand how an account can get lost?

There will be automatic transaction notes on the account if the account was closed or switched out, new card issued, change of address, contact made with telephone banking.

When your brother goes into the branch they cant see his account on their screens?

What happens when he puts his card into the iPads?

I would suggest your brother returns to branch as there will be a record of the account even if it has been closed, (they will be able to tell you when and possibly why)

Westie983

Can the branch staff actually access a customer profile if there are no open accounts though? A a couple of years ago when I had no Halifax accounts and wanted to enquire about a closed account, they couldn't get into my profile as it just came up with a message saying no open accounts.
  • bluffer
    bluffer Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    the system will still show closed accts. just not as much detail obviously as an open one.

but it is odd to say they cant see the accts at all.
    2023 wins - zilch, nada, big fat duck. quack quack,
  • CavendishWobble
    Options
    Again this sounds particularly strange, as mentioned in this thread by others - closed accounts are still recorded by the banks. If this did happen then i would imagine it isnt an isolated incident and Halifax will have a vastly wider issue on their hands.

May i suggest - you mentioned direct debits, can you go to the companies where the direct debits were going to and you can show proof of payment along with the sort code and account number. You can then show the Halifax this proof?
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has he tried the forgotten password option, may not work but worth a try. Accounts don't just disappear.
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lost?

Does his card work in ATM?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income