Working away from home

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Although you may be worse off financially in the short term (how much?) if you took a job where you need to buy a train ticket, perhaps you should consider what the possibilities of promotion - and increase in salary - are in those jobs which are further away.

As you say, you are at the top of your salary band in the job you have now so there's no chance of improvement there.

But you have to factor in the actual drop in money at least in the short term and add in the fact that you'll also have less time to enjoy life.
  • shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am looking for a compromise, which may include me working away during the week and coming home at weekends etc. I do not know the answer yet, and just speaking my thoughts out loud.

Wouldn't the cost of accommodation outweigh the increase in salary (assuming you're still talking circa £200 take home)?
  • In reply to Shiny76:

Sorry it probably not clear.

No i would not move for 200 per month extra, that was given as an example of the jobs that are about. If i commuted from my current home or even moved I would be worse off.

When I say move I mean nationally to look for a job at my previous grade or above. Taking my current employer as an example my level would attract a basic salary increase of about £12-15k per year before all other benefits. Unfortunately my current employer is not employing at that level. Nationally I am seeing plenty of roles advertised at my experience and qualification level.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    i wouldnt recommend it long term.
  • In reply to Judi:

Is there any reason why you would not recommend it?

In an ideal world I would get the pay increase via a promotion at my current employer or ither local employer. Unfortunately that isn't likely due to the company currently shedding posts. I would like my partner to move with me but she doesn't want to move due to her child being in school, family and friends being close etc.

I don't know what the answer is yet but the current situation can not be maintained as financially we have no scope to absorb financial knocks.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    In reply to Judi:

In an ideal world I would get the pay increase via a promotion at my current employer or ither local employer. Unfortunately that isn't likely due to the company currently shedding posts. I would like my partner to move with me but she doesn't want to move due to her child being in school, family and friends being close etc.

I don't know what the answer is yet but the current situation can not be maintained as financially we have no scope to absorb financial knocks.
    Your options appear to be
    • find a job that means you have to work away with a sufficiently large increase in salary to enable you to fund the increased accommodation costs - and put up with the stresses of separation
    • find a job where you can still live at home with a sufficiently large increase in salary to enable you to fund the increased travel costs - and put up with the long hours
    • stay in your current job
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Only being home at weekends means you have less family time.

Home late on Friday night, leave Sunday to start work Monday morning.

Weekend spent catching up on jobs around the house.

From experience children resent you coming home at weekends and 'bossing' them around or upsetting the routine they have with mum during the week.
  • In reply to sheramber:

That's a good point and something I definitely need to consider.

In reply to all sorry I have not been to using the quote user facility. It seems to have stopped working on my phone.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

My husband has worked away since 1998 with short periods of working nearer home.

Its safe to say neither of us are the same people we were before he started working away. We both have grown in different directions at times. Tolerance is short when your used to living on your own (most of the time). Sharing a bed is difficult too when your both used to doing a starfish in bed.

Sometimes you get lonely. I have in the past but appreciate my solitude now (which creates another problem).

In early days when i struggled, i built a brick wall around myself because i was lonely and vunerable.... great idea except i didnt find it easy to break it down when he came home. We stopped communicating (and find it hard to even now).

Resentment on my part set in. I was the one stuck at home with the kids whilst he was in effect living a single life Monday to Friday. The kids have grown up now but in effect, i was the one who bought up our Youngest. He was 2 when his Dad started working away.

You spend to your means.... never really that much better off.

Have you thought about accommodation? Depending on where he's working digs easily exceeds £30 a night.

Theres so many reasons why the majority of his workmates are divorced. Working away puts such a strain on a marriage/relationship.

I dont think i need to go on.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Approximately 55 miles each way (Driving)

The season ticket is £3164 (£263 per month)

Thank you.

Surely the compromise is just to live roughly half way between where you and your partner work?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure