Top Cashback Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• just found this:

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/card_services/shell_credit_card_from_citi/smc/rewards/smc_rewards_bj_0107.html

3% cash back when you buy shell petrol
    1% else where

6p a litre off for the first 60 days.

0% for 12 months on balance transfers but a 3% fee on the amount transfered.
  • I didn't know about this 2% cashback credit card, so many thanks for pointing it out to me. I applied on line this morning (Sat) at 8 o'clock in the morning and had no problems with the link at all.
    Good luck.

Glad it was of help to you.
    Did you get confirmation of your application, and did you get a decision on your application straight away?
  • JesseJames wrote: »
    Glad it was of help to you.
    Did you get confirmation of your application, and did you get a decision on your application straight away?

Yes, after clicking submit on the online application form I received an acceptance straightaway.
    Ageing is inevitable - maturing is optional :p
  • Ts&Cs are at http://www.citibank.co.uk/personal/cards/shell/cards_shell_tc2.htm?type=cards&merchant=citi&offer=A154

There doesn't seem to be a maximum cashback limit. But you do have to buy some Shell fuel each month to get that month's cashback.
    No6 wrote: »
    just found this:

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/card_services/shell_credit_card_from_citi/smc/rewards/smc_rewards_bj_0107.html

1% else where

• No6 wrote: »
    just found this:

1% else where

Be aware that this 'cashback' is a rebate off your shell petrol purchase. It's not a cash amount paid to you per se.
    Tough times never last longer than tough people.
  • I was looking at the Shell card, earlier today, I use Shell 80% of the time, so would be great for me, and was thinking of applying - 6% is a lot off a £50 tank...
    ... but my brother wants me to be recommended by him because he believes there will be something in it for him, is this true? - I can't find anything about it on the Shell / Citibank site
  • I understand that the AMEX card gives you 5% cashback on purchases up to £4000 for the first three months, which is £200, correct?
    If I use Martin's calculator and input a £4000 annual spend, the cashback comes to only £67.50. Am I missing something here :confused:
  • Hi MSE's
    I feel we are missing out on rewards- as Sainsbury's is our closest supermarket by far and we spend £150 per week on a bog standard CC
    Question -how does the Sainsbury's CC compare to the best?
    Here is the spiel - but are nectar points really worth the effort!
    -- Sainsbury's new credit card offers you all this:
    Great rates on purchases and balance transfers:

0% for the first 12 months on Sainsbury's shopping*
    0% for the first 3 months on all other shopping
    0% for the first 10 months on balance transfers (+3% fee)

Earn Nectar points wherever you shop:

Pay with your Sainsbury's Credit Card and collect 2 points for every £1 you spend on Sainsbury's shopping, plus any additional points you'll earn with your Nectar collector card.
    Collect Nectar points everywhere else too
  • eker
    eker Posts: 8 Forumite
    branstylad wrote: »
    I understand that the AMEX card gives you 5% cashback on purchases up to £4000 for the first three months, which is £200, correct?
    If I use Martin's calculator and input a £4000 annual spend, the cashback comes to only £67.50. Am I missing something here :confused:

The calculator asks for the annual amount, but the promotional rate of 5% only lasts for 3 months, so the calculator assumes £4000 / 4 = £1000 per quarter.
    On this basis, you would get 5% of £1000 in the first quarter = £50
    For the remaining three quarters, you'd be on tiered rates.
    So for your remaining £3000, the next £2,500 takes you to the first threshold of £3,500, so you get 0.5% of £2,500 = £12.50, then you get 1% on your remaining £500 = £5
    £50 + £12.50 + £5 = £67.50.
    Of course if you spend all £4000 within the first quarter after joining, you'd get 5% on everything, i.e. £200, as you calculated.

However, the calculator has not yet been updated, as I mentioned earlier, to take account of annual spending below £2,400, which from 1st November 2008, will be zero cashback.
    Eking out the cards we are dealt :)
  • For some years I have had a Halifax Gold cashback card for when I can't use the Amex Platinum (mostly for Internet purchases). Although Martin says you gt 1% of spend back, i only seem to get 1 cashback point (worth 1p) for just over every £4 spent (so 0.25%). In addition they seem to have a minimum cashback payment of £10 (i.e. minimum spend of £4,000). We are due to get th cashback next month (I don't see how you can defer it despite Martin's reference to waiting for the 13th month). My partner has therefore lost all his points this year as below this level. I had spent £4,900 and will get £10 next month plus 226 points carried forward to next year's cashback. To add insult to injury they seem to have ignored my £100 spend this month. What's going on? Help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure