Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CHR15
    • By CHR15 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    • 4,840Posts
    • 4,170Thanks
    CHR15
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??
    • 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? 25th Jun 08 at 3:15 PM
    A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension

Have you served in the military since 1975?
    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.

Pensions

There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
    1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
    2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

Service Preserved Pensions

Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.

Contact

Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).
    Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    GLASGOW,
    G2 8EX

Freephone 0800 085 3600
    email: JPAC@spva.mod.uk
    Last edited by CHR15; 26-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Page 2
  • Edwardia
    I called the number to check if OH was eligible and the change in age and length of service is not retrospective. So if someone was under 26 when discharged during period 1975-1988 they don't get anything even with 6 yrs service
    • Bosniavet96
    • By Bosniavet96 9th Mar 12, 9:21 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Bosniavet96
    I'm trying to persuade a mate I served with who is in receipt of a War Pension to make application for early payment of his preserved pension on the grounds he is "permanently unfit to work" (he receives incapacity benefit, or whatever they call it now). Has anyone got experience of trying for this, & do they reduce the payment as you claim it early?
  • MITM
    Edwardia, I would check again. The original thread has a bit of the criteria missing. The age limit of 26 was removed in 1978. Check on the MOD web site. I would cut and paste the link but as I'm new to this site it wont allow me.
  • MITM
    Then again, just add cut and paste then add www at the start.

.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B1BABEDC-D997-4F73-B1B1-6F0B9E5BD36E/0/PreservedPensions.pdf
    • molerat
    • By molerat 24th Apr 12, 10:36 AM
    • 21,616 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    molerat
    http://mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B1BABEDC-D997-4F73-B1B1-6F0B9E5BD36E/0/PreservedPensions.pdf
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • frosty
    • By frosty 25th Apr 12, 4:05 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    frosty
    Many thanks for this,Husband just phoned and he is entitled to a pension,we just have to write in for a forecast.
    Last edited by frosty; 25-04-2012 at 8:50 PM.
  • larrytheone
    Similar question as before but different dates

My friend served 9 years in the army from 1961 to 1970, he has been living in Canada. Is he due any pension, his rank was corporal in the REME.

He was born 24/03/42

much obliged Larry Jarvis
  • baggo12345
    Widows pension on 75 pension
    Can anyone advice me on the follows please.
    My Dad served in the Army and completed 12 years service from 1970-1982 and voluntary left. Unfortantly he died at the age of 47 in 1999 my Mum was given 7000 from the Army, will she be entitled to anymore next year when she is 60. your help would be appreciated. (He left as a CPL)
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd Jun 12, 6:04 PM
    • 21,616 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    molerat
    This may help http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

A bit confused about where the 7k came from, were they married, very important as the only reason I can find for a lump sum is if not married.

Page 17
    Paying of Preserved Benefits to Dependants

If you die after leaving Service but before preserved benefits become payable, your dependants will have the entitlements detailed below:
    • the scheme will pay a widow’s or widower’s pension at one half of the preserved pension rate (for Service given before 31 March 1973, see the note on page 15).
    • if you married your spouse after leaving the Armed Forces, only service after 6 April 1978 will count towards the post-retirement widow’s or widower’s pension. Your widower will only be entitled if you were serving on or after 1 October 1987 and again only for service after 6 April 1978.
    • the scheme will pay children’s pensions on the basis set out on this page.
    • if there is no widow or widower, or eligible child, the scheme will pay your estate a lump sum equal to the preserved terminal grant.
    Also here http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/73C97FDF-BCDA-4B3F-A686-CA8533FD52BC/0/afps75_mmp106_your_pension_scheme_explained.pdf

Some useful contact addresses in the booklets.
    Last edited by molerat; 22-06-2012 at 6:27 PM.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th Jul 12, 9:11 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 6,234 Thanks
    robatwork
    My father just threw into a conversation that he wonders if he is entitled to an army pension. From a quick look on this thread it seems unlikely, but would like some clarity.

He served in WWII from 1941 to 1946 in the Royal Engineers.

He knows a few more details but some are lost in the mists of time...

Anyone advise please?

Rob
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Jul 12, 8:03 AM
    • 21,616 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    molerat
    My father just threw into a conversation that he wonders if he is entitled to an army pension. From a quick look on this thread it seems unlikely, but would like some clarity.

He served in WWII from 1941 to 1946 in the Royal Engineers.

He knows a few more details but some are lost in the mists of time...

Anyone advise please?

Rob
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Not entitled I am afraid, in those days you had to serve a full career to get a pension. The new rules started in the 1970s.
    • Mdave1
    • By Mdave1 10th Jul 12, 1:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mdave1
    Contact the folks in Glasgow
    Hi, best idea for anyone wanting to know about the pensions schemes is to contact Glasgow directly, I served 9 years in the Army 1973 - 1982 and will be 60 in around 18 months time. I have already contacted them and will receive a tax free lump sum plus monthly payment subject to usual taxation.
    Took them about two weeks to reply.
  • bedford2
    Pension transfer
    Hello all; I've had a look through a few on-line forums to find an answer to my question, but to no avail; so I wonder if anyone reading this may have the answer. I served in the RAF Regiment from 28th August 1984 until 11th May 1989, a total of 1717 days. I then joined the Metropolitan Police in February 1990. My question is this; how many of those 1717 days pensionable service can I transfer to my MPS pension? I've been told they're worth less than 300 days, but that seems rather low to me. Thanks in advance.
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 26th Apr 14, 3:16 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,430 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    Bedford2 - you've posted your enquiry twice, so best to not answer here and leave it to your other thread, in which you said you've already transferred out of the Armed Forces Pension Scheme into the Police Pension Scheme.

Only the Police Pension Scheme can tell you what that transfer in is (or would be if you hadn't yet carried out the transfer) worth as that's dependent on their benefits as well as the cash value of the Armed Forces bit.
  • kendo3119
    hi Molerat can you answer this for me I have applied for my preserved pension after 12 years service in the Army 1973-1985 I have now reached 60 but have heard nothing from the pensions office in Glasgow, how long does it take to come through
    • Fergie76
    • By Fergie76 19th Mar 15, 4:04 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 2,294 Thanks
    Fergie76
    hi Molerat can you answer this for me I have applied for my preserved pension after 12 years service in the Army 1973-1985 I have now reached 60 but have heard nothing from the pensions office in Glasgow, how long does it take to come through
    Originally posted by kendo3119
    When did you apply?

Best bet would be to phone them:

Telephone : 0141 224 3600
    Freephone : 0800 085 3600
  • kendo3119
    thanks Fergie76
    I applied to the old Glasgow address 4 months ago and my claim was returned by the post office 2 months later as the place no longer exists. I applied to the new office of Veterens uk over a month ago but have heard nothing back, its frustrating when you cant get any info....
    Last edited by kendo3119; 20-03-2015 at 5:28 PM.
    • stuartves
    • By stuartves 30th Mar 15, 6:57 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    stuartves
    new pension rules
    Does the new legislation of cashing in pensions at 55 include forces Pensions.?

I served 7 years 151 days as a corporal in the R.E.M.E. As auto electrician from Dec 80 - may 88. I am not 55 until 2017 or 60 in 2022. Could you advise how much my pension would be worth if both scenarios are relevant?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 30th Mar 15, 8:37 PM
    • 21,616 Posts
    • 15,846 Thanks
    molerat
    The new rules apply to money purchase pensions and not defined benefit. You will be due your preserved pension at age 60 under APFS75.
  • gazbian
    Hi my name is garreth i have an army pension from 1998 and was wandering if it can be released early thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

6,987Users online

Martin's Twitter