Why a specific armed forces board?

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

After a number of requests I decided it was time to open up an armed forces MoneySaving board for current and past members of the forces and their families.

The aim isn't to duplicate the rest of the forum and site, but far more to discuss those issues that are specific to members of the forces. Whether it be getting goods delivered overseas, the difficulty of getting life coverage, what's available when leaving the forces, specific discounts and how to get back to civilian life... I'm sure there are many more.

I hope it will help

All the best

Martin
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Martin

Thanks for allowing the forces board, Yes we in the military have our own forums to use, but there are many expert MoneySavers that may have a useful input
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    I second that Martin, thank you. It is harder when you live overseas to be MSE but it helps to have this site. And now it helps even more when we pads have "our own" forum where we can talk about issues that are unique to our situation.

Cheers mate!

D xx
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Can we make this hidden unless logged in.?

If we were to say some 'stuff', it can be seen by anyone anywhere..
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    military62.gif
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    If it wasn't hidden all they'd have to do was login to see it, so it's not much of a shield against whatever it is you're worried about.

Also, if google wasn't able to access this bit of the forum, therefore was unable to access it, it'd be harder for people to find the site and the useful info it holds, which is kinda selfish of the people who're already here.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • johng_uk
    johng_uk Posts: 1,960 Forumite
    Cheers for the forum though Martin. Here's hoping it really takes off as it could prove useful to many!
    John :beer:

Life's too short.........
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi folks

I'd prefer to keep it open to all - that's the general site philiosophy apart from special cases - and as someone points out there are a good few hundred thousand people who login to the site anyway so nothign would be secret.

As for it taking off... it'll be going quite high up (for a forum board note ;) ) in this weeks email so that may help...

Please do tell friends and colleagues about it though... I may contact BFBS about it in a few weeks as I've done stuff there before

martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wonder how long before the site is blocked by the IGS system, in work or restricted to certain times (6pm for eBay etc).
  • Bigun28
    Bigun28 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I kind of agree with the hidden bit if it were at all possible. There are many 'perks' to being in the military and I've known civilians who have used the 'I'm in the military' scenario to get a discount etc when a shop employee has been too lazy to check their id.

We all know that by letting out the trade 'secrets' the system could get abused which will spoil it for all of us.

As for the IGS bit, could be damm inconvenient - it didn't take them long to block e-bay!!!
  • darcyvuqua
    darcyvuqua Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    im just wondering why the rest of the uk are on strike over pay issues the british forces are left out to dry we work hard fight hard and play hard and we seem to be the one that are paid the least do we strike

hell no this government need to address these situations and fast
    you cant change yesterday
    but you can make tomorrow better
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills