Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marker
    • By Marker 18th Jun 08, 10:48 AM
    • 3,070Posts
    • 3,974Thanks
    Marker
    Military discount thread (MERGED) Please post all discounts here!
    • 18th Jun 08, 10:48 AM
    Military discount thread (MERGED) Please post all discounts here! 18th Jun 08 at 10:48 AM
    Am looking to go to Florida next year August or September time. Would like to fly into Sanford or Intl. Only want one week doing all the disney and seaworld things but wanted to know where the best place to book everything from as will have military discount as well.

Any ideas appreciated.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 28-10-2008 at 7:17 PM.
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum
    Tesco - 1000 , Carpet - 20, Barclaycard - 50, HSBC - 50 + Car - 1700
    SAVED =0
    Debts - 2850
Page 2
  • rebl43
    Hi, this month we had a note in our HIVE magazine that said if you are in the RAF (don't know about the other forces) and take your ID card to Halfords, you can get a trade card which gives you big discounts.
    Rachel xx

• montymud
    • By montymud 23rd Jun 08, 7:42 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 6,324 Thanks
    montymud
    Hlfords are also offering discounts to Armed Forces on bikes at the mo too!
    • Ettenna
    • By Ettenna 24th Jun 08, 7:43 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    Ettenna
    Most McDonalds do Military discount. If they don't know about it, or have it set up, then ask for a student deal.
    • JoleneM
    • By JoleneM 24th Jun 08, 9:22 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    JoleneM
    Can I ask what a MOD90 is? Hubby is in the RAF.
    Bowel Disease (Ulcerative Colitis) since 1996 (quite possibly Crohn's Disease).

• Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 24th Jun 08, 9:49 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    MOD90 must be the pongo id card, we over here are the '1250' clan..
  • johng_uk
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega
    Being a 1250 man myself - That's what I was guessing too!
    John

Life's too short.........
  • Drea
    Dang, I want a cheap holiday! Can't you guys just book it for me?
  • Renovatio
    Wet and Wild let me in for free and the rest of the family at half price with MOD F90

Disney would only offer the concessions to US forces or UK personnel on secondment in the US - unless this has recently changed.
  • jameslcross
    Most Burger Kings give you the discount

Millets also offer a 10% discount
    • Marker
    • By Marker 25th Jun 08, 11:58 AM
    • 3,070 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    Marker
    What about a Dependencies card, do they work in the same way?
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum
    Tesco - 1000 , Carpet - 20, Barclaycard - 50, HSBC - 50 + Car - 1700
    SAVED =0
    Debts - 2850
  • rugbyrules
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega

The F1250 is slowly getting fazed out, more jointry crap. If you go for a new card now you'll get a MOD 90.
    • pjapk
    • By pjapk 25th Jun 08, 12:23 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    pjapk
    Do most of these others also apply to MOD contractors? I know Blacks/Millets (same company) do as I've shown my "Civillian Contractor" MOD ID but I'm not sure if it's equivalent to a MOD90.

Paul (currently on sick leave from Iraq having had an inconvenient collapsed lung whilst deployed
  • Deli
    If you going to florida, check out a hotel called Shades of Green. It's a military hotel in Disney which we can use and it includes all Disney passes. it costs about $110 per day for a room. I believe there is one in Hawaii too.

Trust the RAF Aircrew to know al the good places to go
  • donaldson803
    florida discounts.
    Am ex military and have visited florida a number of times. Be sure to take your ID. You can get 1 free entry for you and 3 family members to SEAWORLD in any year, by going to the special forces gate to the left of the main entrance.

In addition the US forces have their own hotel on Disney called Shades of Green, they have a recreation office there where they can get discounted tickets. I have used this in the past but it has been a while ago.
    You may be better to just use the internet to see who is the cheapest attraction ticket provider.

Many shops in the US will give military discount on showing a valid id, always ask.

As for the flight, some of the operators offering military discounts still work out dearer. Try using travelsupermarket.com site to compare. Also Travelcitydirect have competitive prices.
    Have a great time
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 25th Jun 08, 5:34 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    The F1250 is slowly getting fazed out, more jointry crap. If you go for a new card now you'll get a MOD 90.
    Originally posted by rugbyrules
    Best hope i dont get promoted too 2 ranks higher..

erm, no chance of that looking at my SJAR's..
  • CadairViewLodge
    Cadair View Lodge in Snowdonia
    We want to offer a 10% discount to members of the Armed Forces and their families.

You can see our accommodation on www.cadairviewlodge.co.uk

Can someone suggest how we can verify that people who apply for the discount are genuine and not just after a discount?
    • southernbelle
    • By southernbelle 25th Jun 08, 6:07 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    southernbelle
    Burtons do discount when you show a MOD90 too.
    Dorothy Perkins did after I told them that too, they are the same company but obviously they don't reckon on women in the forces.

Animal shops do 10-15% I think.

The Dominoes near us doesn't do MOD discount - it must depend on the individual place.

I always just ask, even if they don't do forces discount they sometimes put it through the till with student discount instead - bonus.
    Total Debt: 0 33,043
    Official DFW Nerd No. 763
    DMP start date Aug 2011~DFD Aug 2013
  • winonski
    Cotswolds
    Cotswolds outdoor shop does a 10% discount and it increases to 15/20% if you are a member of the RN/RM climbing team (not sure about other services climbing teams)
    • GillianB
    • By GillianB 25th Jun 08, 6:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GillianB
    Shades of Green
    I would thoroughly recommend Shades of Green - which is a wholly militrary resort on the Disney site. Cost is dependent on rank. Also buy your disney pass at Shades of Green as you get a really good deal.

In all the shops in Florida make sure you ask for Military Discount - Timberland its about 15% lots of stores give it so dont be embarrassed to ask - just have your id card handy

There are several days if you are near a Busch GArdens they have a lot of days where military and families get in free.
    • toshkininny
    • By toshkininny 25th Jun 08, 7:38 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    toshkininny
    Do you get all these discounts being in the T.A. ?
    Just wondered as I have a friend that is in the T.A. tha I could perhaps pass all this info on to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,781Posts Today

6,651Users online

Martin's Twitter