Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moremore
    • By moremore 27th Oct 19, 2:09 PM
    • 502Posts
    • 106Thanks
    moremore
    Present for person that is partly blind
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:09 PM
    Present for person that is partly blind 27th Oct 19 at 2:09 PM
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, I want to purchase a present for a good friend's birthday that got some vision loss but likes reading not sure would a kindle be OK for a present?
Page 1
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 27th Oct 19, 2:14 PM
    • 23,437 Posts
    • 58,695 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:14 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:14 PM
    Absolutely, as they can change the font size really easily! Marley's mum has very little sight remaining, and she's found a kindle an absolute godsend.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • ceb1995
    • By ceb1995 27th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 688 Thanks
    ceb1995
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 2:21 PM
    a kindle is a lovely idea, check the model that text to speech on it incase they experience further vision loss and it's then future proof for them.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 27th Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    • 2,998 Posts
    • 14,081 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:02 PM
    Another vote for a Kindle here!

My Mum , who is partially sighted has one - and loves it, she can adjust the font and still read!

The text-to-speech will read all text to her...but we are looking at getting 'Audible' Kindle books later, which will offer a 'professional' read of many titles
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 27th Oct 19, 3:35 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Nannytone
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:35 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:35 PM
    Another vote for a Kindle here!

My Mum , who is partially sighted has one - and loves it, she can adjust the font and still read!

The text-to-speech will read all text to her...but we are looking at getting 'Audible' Kindle books later, which will offer a 'professional' read of many titles
    Originally posted by Prinzessilein
    I download talking books from my local library. Kitchen they have a choice of thousands of books and are totally free
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 27th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 36,731 Posts
    • 47,406 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    Any other suggestions please for some who doesnt do books
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 27th Oct 19, 4:03 PM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 27th Oct 19, 4:03 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 4:03 PM
    Any other suggestions please for some who doesnt do books
    Originally posted by McKneff
    Depends a bit what they do do

My partner has macular degeneration and one of the best presents she was given was a magnifying glass. I know it's a small thing but helps her with shopping, reading menus (saves me telling her everything on the menu!) etc

Do they play games? You can get large scrabble, dominos and many more
    • moremore
    • By moremore 27th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    moremore
    • 27th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 4:35 PM
    Depends a bit what they do do

My partner has macular degeneration and one of the best presents she was given was a magnifying glass. I know it's a small thing but helps her with shopping, reading menus (saves me telling her everything on the menu!) etc

Do they play games? You can get large scrabble, dominos and many more
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Good idea for Christmas present for her.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 27th Oct 19, 5:00 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 73,430 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 27th Oct 19, 5:00 PM
    • 27th Oct 19, 5:00 PM
    Kindle - if you want to get one which will, at some future point, do text-to-speech, specifically ask whoever sells it to you if it will do this.

My partner likes this feature and used it a lot on previous versions, but the current one does not do TTS and is forever complaining about the lack of this option.

Don't know if the Fire version does it but that's probably going to be the next one we buy.

Audiobooks can be had from libraries and a lot of tablets will play them so that could be another option to look at.
    • whizzywoo
    • By whizzywoo 29th Oct 19, 9:47 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    whizzywoo
    The Kindle is not the only E-Reader out there.

I have a Kobo E-Reader, it has all the features of a Kindle plus my latest one is waterproof so I can read it in the bath!

An E-reader is also suitable for people with arthritis. I can no longer support or hold a book due to arthritis. My e-reader is very light and I use a special cushion which holds it on my knee. Oh the joy to be able to read again without the pain in hands, arms and shoulders.
    Last edited by whizzywoo; 29-10-2019 at 9:48 AM. Reason: typo error
    • JKS$(
    • By JKS$( 4th Nov 19, 1:52 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JKS$(
    It may depend on how their sight loss affects them - I don't find a Kindle that helpful even with the adjustable font size. I find it much easier to read on my iPad with the Kindle app as this allows for different coloured backgrounds & better (for me) contrast options.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 5th Nov 19, 9:39 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    You could check out the RNIB online shop.
    • devizes18193
    • By devizes18193 7th Nov 19, 10:13 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    devizes18193
    A echo dot ,good for radio plus audible also they do 3 free audiobooks per month
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

2,024Users online

Martin's Twitter