Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • halogen
    • By halogen 25th Oct 19, 3:03 PM
    • 410Posts
    • 506Thanks
    halogen
    PIP face to face
    • 25th Oct 19, 3:03 PM
    PIP face to face 25th Oct 19 at 3:03 PM
    So I got a call yesterday offering me an appointment for my PIP claim- despite the fact that i requested no phone call/letter contact only.
    The appointment offered was less than a week away , too short notice to arrange but more importantly they were saying it would be at my house-- what's with that? Can they insist on that?
    I don't need a home appointment and it makes the whole appointment even more inconvenient and uncomfortable than it already is.
    Where do I stand with this?
Page 1
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 25th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 14,090 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 25th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 5:45 PM
    Why would you not want a home visit?

I can understand the discomfort...I ALWAYS have home visits (travel is out of the question for me) and don't really like having strangers in my flat - but it is a necessary evil!....but surely having a home visit would be MORE convenient than travelling who knows where for an appointment? (They don't always find a centre near you)

Remember you are entitled to have someone with you at home - again, something I always do...it helps me feel less stressed.

I don't know the reasons why you would immediately be offered a home visit...many people have to fight for one...but it could be that they have read your forms and looked at this as the best option for you.

You are entitled to ask them to change the appointment...I believe this should be done by phone...BUT remember that you can only change ONCE...if you reject this home visit you will have to take whatever day and whatever venue they choose.
    • halogen
    • By halogen 25th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    halogen
    • 25th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 6:38 PM
    1) I don't have any one i could have with me but anyway that would make me stressed and emotional rendering my incapable of explaining my issues effectively. Not sure why more people would help. 1 is bad enough

2) Having a home visit is less convenient for me. I had assumed it would be at the job centre which is easier to get to.

3) I think it's inappropriate. I was assuming it would be a formal thing in an office. I could cope with that. Can't do that in my living room.
    4) they are being cheapskate by not forking out for a room in the job centre

My question is am I able to insist on a suitable venue?
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 25th Oct 19, 7:04 PM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 14,090 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:04 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:04 PM
    The face to face is not held at the job centre. It is carried out by private companies in their offices, which may be up to 90 minutes travel away.

As explained, you can ask for a change to your appointment but you can only do this once. You cannot specify where you want to go, but can ask to go to their offices rather than a home visit.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 25th Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    Re no.2, the Jobcentre is not a PIP consultation centre. They might be nearby or even maybe in the same building, but it is a separate place. You can check here: https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/consultation-centres/
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-assessment-centres/958-east-england-atos

No.4, I'd assume actually home visits are more expensive for them - they presumably have to pay the assessors for mileage, plus the time to travel out and back which is time that would be using to work if they stayed in the office.

However, I do understand - my home circumstances are such that I would rather deal with the travel and the consequences than have someone come into my home, silently judging everything and feeling obliged to explain. (My home circumstances are not my fault but I'd still be mortified.)

If you do request a different appointment, make sure you'll be able to get to wherever they're likely to send you, not just the nearest. If they give you an appointment and you can't get there, that will be the end of your claim.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 25th Oct 19, 7:15 PM
    • 3,489 Posts
    • 4,049 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:15 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:15 PM
    2) Having a home visit is less convenient for me. I had assumed it would be at the job centre which is easier to get to.
    Originally posted by halogen
    It won't be at the job centre.

It will be at an IAS / Capita assessment centre. That could be some distance from your house.

You can ask for the initial PIP assessment appointment to be re-arranged, but only once.
    https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/news/arrangement-of-a-pip-consultation/

You then have to attend the second date you are given - even if that appointment is an early morning appointment at a centre 30 miles or so distant.
    If you don't attend then your PIP claim ends.
    So, you can't insist on a venue and date convenient to you I'm afraid.

I would think very carefully about not accepting a home assessment.

EDIT: Cross posted with posts 4 & 5.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 25-10-2019 at 7:19 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • venison
    • By venison 25th Oct 19, 7:47 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    venison
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:47 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 7:47 PM
    Stunned really the number of people we see on forums desperate for home visits and having to battle to get one, OP if I were you I would accept and get it over and done with, but of course its your decision.
    Whatever you decide good luck.
    Dont blame me I voted Labour
    • halogen
    • By halogen 25th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    halogen
    • 25th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 8:15 PM
    As I understand it they have to offer an appointment with 90 minutes travelling time. They don't have a centre with 90 minutes so they used to use a room in the JCP, like citizens advice do. I guess they have stopped doing that. I'll wait and see what they offer but if they give me a call only 7 days in advance, when I said letters only, or insist that it has to be at home, I'll give up. It's not worth the stress. I've not felt this ill about something for months
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    • 6,256 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    • 25th Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    As I understand it they have to offer an appointment with 90 minutes travelling time. They don't have a centre with 90 minutes so they used to use a room in the JCP, like citizens advice do. I guess they have stopped doing that. I'll wait and see what they offer but if they give me a call only 7 days in advance, when I said letters only, or insist that it has to be at home, I'll give up. It's not worth the stress. I've not felt this ill about something for months

Not correct. Traveling time is up to 90 minutes and not 90 minutes.

I'm sorry but i'm stunned to think that you are refusing a home assessment when there's so many people out there that desperately need a home assessment and are refused.

Seven days notice is plenty of time in my opinion.

You can cancel the home assessment but as advised be very careful before you do this. They obviously think you need a home assessment otherwise it wouldn't be this easily offered unless evidence suggests it's needed. Canceling this for an assessment in as assessment centre could be a bad thing for you and i'm not saying there's a better chance of an award by having a home assessment either.

If you cancel this and your next appointment is 90 minutes traveling are you going to be able to travel that far? because you can't cancel another...
    • halogen
    • By halogen 25th Oct 19, 11:26 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    halogen
    They are not offering me a home appt because I need one. I don't. They are offering me one because they don't have a centre within the 90minutes travelling time threshold.

There is no chance of me getting any award if they come to my house, so if they can't offer an appointment at a suitable venue and time then I'll close my claim.
    Always felt like a long shot anyway and I'm not going to jepordise my employment by trying get a day off with less than a week's notice especially not for something that even the thought of has made me feel this fragile.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 26th Oct 19, 1:43 AM
    • 16,592 Posts
    • 31,957 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    They are not offering me a home appt because I need one. I don't. They are offering me one because they don't have a centre within the 90minutes travelling time threshold.

There is no chance of me getting any award if they come to my house, so if they can't offer an appointment at a suitable venue and time then I'll close my claim.
    Always felt like a long shot anyway and I'm not going to jepordise my employment by trying get a day off with less than a week's notice especially not for something that even the thought of has made me feel this fragile.
    I think all you can do is try to re-arrange appointment if you absolutely are resistant to this appointment... see if you can force them to look at alternative venue.. try to explain why a home visit is not suitable. Without knowing your circumstances it's hard to advise what case you could make. As others have said.. many fight to get home visit... but I can understand that for some it might be quite unsuitable or less preferred. And actually although I've made a case for home assessments for both PIP and ESA.. reading the thread reminds me why actually it could be a really bad idea. Have a serious think about if you can do this.... alternative appointment elsewhere will probably present different challenges and of course be your last chance if granted.
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 26-10-2019 at 1:50 AM.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • venison
    • By venison 26th Oct 19, 5:01 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    venison

PIP face to face assessments are something that cause most of us feel fragile/anxious, but we go through it as it can be worth upto £7500 a year, so probably worth having a day off for? Are we to assume that you don't think you will be awarded PIP? if thats the case it won't matter where the assessment takes place?
    Dont blame me I voted Labour
    • halogen
    • By halogen 26th Oct 19, 7:55 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    halogen
    Yes it is worth taking a day off for. It's not worth losing my job for was what I said. I need to give my boss 2 weeks notice for a day off.
    • Arthurarthur52
    • By Arthurarthur52 27th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Arthurarthur52
    We are one of those struggling to get a home visit - but all I am getting is hours on hold and told the Mail is being delayed in being received by dwp.
    We don’t know if and when esa will insist on a Visit due to the reason for the illness or when pip will contact.

I may have read the last post wrong but it said it’s not worth taking a day off for. Is that the friend or the person claiming
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 28th Oct 19, 6:41 AM
    • 6,256 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    poppy12345
    We are one of those struggling to get a home visit - but all I am getting is hours on hold and told the Mail is being delayed in being received by dwp.
    We donít know if and when esa will insist on a Visit due to the reason for the illness or when pip will contact.

I may have read the last post wrong but it said itís not worth taking a day off for. Is that the friend or the person claiming
    Originally posted by Arthurarthur52
    Assessments are dealt with by the health assessment providers not DWP. If it's a home visit you need then you'll need to ring the health assessment providers. Letters from a GP stating the reasons why this is needed also need to be sent to the health assessment providers, not DWP.
    • Arthurarthur52
    • By Arthurarthur52 28th Oct 19, 8:42 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Arthurarthur52
    Everyone has been rung, emailed and posted. Itís just a waiting game as each is reviewing the situation I guess. The type of illness and how it was induced complicates matters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,914Users online

Martin's Twitter