Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lkelly23
    • By lkelly23 10th Oct 19, 11:10 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lkelly23
    credit score dropped 178 because of a mistake?
    • 10th Oct 19, 11:10 PM
    credit score dropped 178 because of a mistake? 10th Oct 19 at 11:10 PM
    First of all I'd like to apologise for being absolutely clueless, no ones ever taught me anything about credit scores and such so I'm a bit ignorant. Basically over the summer, I couldn't afford to pay my mobile bill. My data and calls were cut off, but I didn't really hear anything else about it. When I got my first student loan payment in September, I immediately payed my phone company a sum of 200, covering all missed payments.

A few days after that, I got an email from them saying I owed 68, and if they don't receive the payment a debt collection company would be notified and my credit score would be affected. I clicked on the link provided and checked my account, but they both said I was up to date and didn't need to pay anything at the moment. However, soon after I started receiving calls from a debt collection company. I never got to answer any of the calls because I'm always either working or in uni and just missed them.

I chatted to an adviser from the phone company and told him everything, he apologised and said it would be sorted and I wouldn't hear from the company anymore. However, a few days later, a few more missed calls. I haven't heard anything in maybe a week, but when I checked my credit score a few minutes ago, it had dropped by 178.

I'm pretty upset because I had just got it out of poor and into fair, and now I'm at the bottom end of poor. Is this due to the debt collection company? What steps can I take next and what if anything can be done about it? I appreciate anyone who takes a minute to offer any advice
    Last edited by lkelly23; 10-10-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Oct 19, 3:22 PM
    • 6,983 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Here's the original post before it gets deleted:

First of all I'd like to apologise for being absolutely clueless, no ones ever taught me anything about credit scores and such so I'm a bit ignorant. Basically over the summer, I couldn't afford to pay my mobile bill. My data and calls were cut off, but I didn't really hear anything else about it. When I got my first student loan payment in September, I immediately payed my phone company a sum of 200, covering all missed payments.

A few days after that, I got an email from them saying I owed 68, and if they don't receive the payment a debt collection company would be notified and my credit score would be affected. I clicked on the link provided and checked my account, but they both said I was up to date and didn't need to pay anything at the moment. However, soon after I started receiving calls from a debt collection company. I never got to answer any of the calls because I'm always either working or in uni and just missed them.

I chatted to an adviser from the phone company and told him everything, he apologised and said it would be sorted and I wouldn't hear from the company anymore. However, a few days later, a few more missed calls. I haven't heard anything in maybe a week, but when I checked my credit score a few minutes ago, it had dropped by 178.

I'm pretty upset because I had just got it out of poor and into fair, and now I'm at the bottom end of poor. Is this due to the debt collection company? What steps can I take next and what if anything can be done about it? I appreciate anyone who takes a minute to offer any advice
    • Barney Rubble 0403
    • By Barney Rubble 0403 14th Oct 19, 3:59 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Barney Rubble 0403
    Challenge the DCA in writing to prove the 68 debt. Have they bought a debt from the mobile company and registered a default? I assume you are still with the same mobile company and they are continuing to provide a service.

Look at the credit report rather than the score.
    :
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    • 5,161 Posts
    • 3,394 Thanks
    Robin9
    lkelly23 - have you had a bill from your mobile supplier lately ? What is the bottom line ?

I don't know the actual dates but lets suggest you had bills in April, May, June and July for 50 each which you didn't pay and were then cutoff. I think you are saying that because you have now paid 200 that that is the end of the matter - it isn't. As has been said there will be interest and charges for the debt collector building up which have to be paid.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

2,225Users online

Martin's Twitter