Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 2nd Oct 19, 1:16 PM
    • 622Posts
    • 197Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Tesco announces Clubcard Plus loyalty subscription service - MSE News
    • 2nd Oct 19, 1:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Tesco announces Clubcard Plus loyalty subscription service - MSE News 2nd Oct 19 at 1:16 PM
    Tesco is launching a new Clubcard Plus subscription service, which gives customers a number of perks including discounted shopping, for a £7.99/mth fee...
    Read the full story:
    'Tesco announces Clubcard Plus loyalty subscription service'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • Odysseus
    • By Odysseus 13th Nov 19, 9:21 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Odysseus
    Missing out again!
    So if you are disabled as I am and have your groceries delivered (which obviously carries a delivery charge so not a perk) you cannot use the scheme. Nice to be discriminated against yet again!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Nov 19, 9:52 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    badmemory

I do think tesco should aim for its older customers who dont have smart phones.
    As its a month by month contract I may pay for months where I have time to shop in store ( and am able to drive)
    Originally posted by globetraveller

They are not going to do this because they have no need to. Many have shopped there for years & aren't going to change so why bother offering money off. I don't even get money off coupons any more but I assume that is because I include shopping for others in my bill, so I am spending that much anyway so why bother.

I too would like to know what the exclusions are. Obviously the lottery & petrol will be excluded, but what else?
    • kremmen
    • By kremmen 13th Nov 19, 10:49 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    kremmen
    The products excluded from the Two Big Shops Discount are as follows:

Fuel and motoring-related productsLotteryGift vouchers and gift cardsSavings stamps and postage stampsTobacco products and accessoriesInfant baby formula milkPrescription medicinesNewspapers and magazinesGeneral merchandise, including:
    ElectricalsMobile phones, top-ups and accessoriesSports, bikes and campingCar accessories and DIYLuggage and bagsMedia and entertainmentHomewareKitchenwareGardening Equipment and BBQStationery, cards and wrapping paperParty accessoriesToys and nurserySeasonal non-foodIn-store third-party concession productsBureau de changeCarrier bag chargesIn-store caf! or coffee shopAlcoholic drinks subject to 25% discount off 6 bottles, or to the extent the discount would reduce the product value below the Minimum Unit Price (full details below)Products which are subject to the separate Always On Discount
    • 2BlUeCaR4U
    • By 2BlUeCaR4U 13th Nov 19, 11:01 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    2BlUeCaR4U
    In-store shopping only?
    What's up, Tesco, too many of using the online service now?
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I agree.
    Why are Tesco penalising those that are forced to shop online through age or disability ?
    I think Martin should start one of his campaigns !!
    • petermasih
    • By petermasih 13th Nov 19, 6:36 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    petermasih
    NOT FAIR!!! This penalises people who don't have cars. They may be very faithful, regular customers, but can only buy little and often - as much as they can carry at one time. For them a 'big shop' may be £20, but they may shop every every second or third day.

A scheme for middle income earners only!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 13th Nov 19, 9:35 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I can't make up my mind about whether this will be worth it or not. At £4.99 a month a probably wouldn't have hesitated but there is something about £7.99 which makes it feel a lot more expensive

Might be worth testing out in the run-up to Christmas when you are spending extra anyway.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Nov 19, 1:27 AM
    • 38,040 Posts
    • 23,604 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Clubcard plus was what they called their financial debit account card launched in 1996 with 2pts per £ spend.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 14th Nov 19, 4:52 AM
    • 14,199 Posts
    • 43,865 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I spend between £100 and £120 a week at Tesco but I have to shop online as I dont drive.

Gutted this is instore only, as others have said, its not really fair.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Nov 19, 5:19 AM
    • 7,081 Posts
    • 19,935 Thanks
    Doc N
    I agree.
    Why are Tesco penalising those that are forced to shop online through age or disability ?
    I think Martin should start one of his campaigns !!
    Originally posted by 2BlUeCaR4U
    Tesco is doing what Tesco always does - looking after its shareholders, but to be fair that's what any company does. They're not charities, and they exist to make profits.

Home deliveries are far less profitable than instore shopping, so you can sort of understand the logic, but add to that the fact that they don't need to compete with Aldi and Lidl on price for anyone who can't shop instore. They've effectively got you by the short and curlies if you're in that situation, and Tesco will always exploit anything or anyone they get the chance to exploit.

We save around 25-30% on Tesco prices by shopping almost next door at Aldi or Lidl for much the same items from much the same British suppliers (one minor example - 300g own brand Tesco ginger nuts are 44% more expensive than the Aldi or Lidl version) but that's only possible with a car. It also means doing a shop within 20 minutes or so, rather than the hour or more it takes to get round Tesco.

This scheme, as is always the case, will help Tesco far more than it will help customers - that's always a firm rule with Tesco, but they are very good at disguising it. Just like the Clubcard scheme, which offers trivial savings for considerably higher prices.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 14th Nov 19, 6:37 AM
    • 10,724 Posts
    • 9,735 Thanks
    prowla
    This scheme is not for me - I prefer to shop around.

(And my council has recently put round-robin traffic lights on the road to my Tesco's, which means it takes longer to get there now vs. going to another shop.)
    • Rybana131
    • By Rybana131 15th Nov 19, 9:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rybana131
    My problem with Lidl and Aldi is that they are good for the basic stuff, but I usually end up missing around a third of the items on my shopping list and having to go to a second supermarket anyway. Sainsbury's is the nearest to my local Lidl but expensive, so overall I end up spending more than simply going to Tesco and getting everything in one go.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Nov 19, 11:54 AM
    • 7,081 Posts
    • 19,935 Thanks
    Doc N
    My problem with Lidl and Aldi is that they are good for the basic stuff, but I usually end up missing around a third of the items on my shopping list and having to go to a second supermarket anyway. Sainsbury's is the nearest to my local Lidl but expensive, so overall I end up spending more than simply going to Tesco and getting everything in one go.
    Originally posted by Rybana131
    Certainly used to be the case, some time ago, and we had to have regular top ups at Waitrose or Tesco.

Not any more. Aldiís best for us, but Lidlís not far short. All we need comes from one or the other now, with a visit to Waitrose maybe every month or so for the oddments that canít be had. And weíre pretty fussy about what we eat. Just not remotely fussed about branding.
    • MartialArtMan
    • By MartialArtMan 17th Nov 19, 11:28 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    MartialArtMan
    It's annoying that this is not linked to my Pay+ account so when I make payment in store I now have to open my Clubcard Plus app then switch to my Pay+ app to pay. Why are they not linked!?
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 17th Nov 19, 1:53 PM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    DragonQ
    It's annoying that this is not linked to my Pay+ account so when I make payment in store I now have to open my Clubcard Plus app then switch to my Pay+ app to pay. Why are they not linked!?
    Originally posted by MartialArtMan
    Also, even if you use Scan As You Shop, which requires you to scan your Clubcard, you still have to re-scan your Clubcard at the till. This did not used to be the case.

Had a thought the other day: is there anything stopping us getting two Clubcard Plus subscriptions for a single household? My wife and I both have Clubcards so theoretically it should work. It'd mean we can use the 10% off nearly every week and as long as we spend 4x£40 in a month it'd save money. Even if we skipped a week due to holiday, etc. we'd still save money if we had 2x£40 and 1x£80 shop in a month, which I'm sure would always happen.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 20th Nov 19, 3:29 PM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 4,657 Thanks
    badmemory
    And you have to have the app. It would cost me more to get that phone than I could save in several years using the app. So that will be a no then.
    • Cazl15
    • By Cazl15 20th Nov 19, 5:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cazl15
    New scheme
    So if you are disabled as I am and have your groceries delivered (which obviously carries a delivery charge so not a perk) you cannot use the scheme. Nice to be discriminated against yet again!
    Originally posted by Odysseus
    I too have a midweek delivery groceries pass and decided not to pay for this new scheme.
    I thought you could get 10% off two deliveries per month, though?
    I have Tesco mobile but donít need any more data. I am not joining the new scheme as I get money off coupons for Sainsburys, Waitrose , Ocado etc.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 21st Nov 19, 7:46 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    nickcc
    Tesco clubcard plus
    Good morning

Joined clubcard plus last week and unable to find answer to simple question.

Does the two discounted shops run per calendar month or from when I signed up ? Reason I ask is that I wouldn't want to do one shop today then another in December then find that I only had one discounted shop left in December.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 21st Nov 19, 9:52 AM
    • 5,710 Posts
    • 15,230 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Originally posted by Rybana131
    I love Lidl........can get through the store and tills in half the time it takes me to get round Tesco. Minimal choice which to me is a good thing.
    I agree there are some things that you just cant get at Lidl so my other shop of choice is Sainsburys who......as I dont use them all the time send me lots of £12 and £9 vouchers so I make full use of these and stock up on the things I cant get at Lidl.
    Gives me points as well which although isnt going to make me rich.....gives me enough to go in on New years Day and stock up on Christmas cards, wrapping paper, crackers for following year saving me even more money.
    Winner winner
    [COLOR="Red"]Make £10 a day challenge 2019 Jan £397.78 Feb £290.82 Apr £222.68 May £160.69 July £64.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....1,711.89 miles
    Mortgage...£47,070£46,092£45,626.£44,182,£43,721,£41,828
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 21st Nov 19, 10:44 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    nickcc
    Good morning

Joined clubcard plus last week and unable to find answer to simple question.

Does the two discounted shops run per calendar month or from when I signed up ? Reason I ask is that I wouldn't want to do one shop today then another in December then find that I only had one discounted shop left in December.
    Originally posted by nickcc
    Just tried it so been told it's not a calender month and the month starts from when you signed up. So now I can get three discounted shops in December as long as the first one is before the anniversary of my signing up. 10% off Christmas and new year shop should help with the money saving. Couple of points, you have to press the big shop button on your phone app before scanning or you don't get the discount and we spent £132 and only got £9 something discount as some of the shopping was either already reduced or Christmas gifts.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 21st Nov 19, 12:42 PM
    • 2,519 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    dlusman
    Just tried it so been told it's not a calender month and the month starts from when you signed up.
    Originally posted by nickcc

Maybe slightly different to this, - in the T&Cs

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/help/cc-plus-terms-conditions

section 5 says the month starts "on the day we successfully process your first payment" ( so NOT necessarily the day you sign up - In section 4 it says "The Subscription Fee will be taken on or after the date you sign up for Clubcard Plus" ) -

Your Clubcard Plus Subscription:
    • is divided into periods which are one calendar month in length (each a "Subscription Period");
    • will start on the day that we successfully process the first payment of your Subscription Fee ("Start Date"); and
    • will automatically renew each calendar month until your Clubcard Plus Subscription auto-renewal is cancelled (by you) or is terminated (by us) in accordance with these terms and conditions.
    As an example, if your Start Date is 15 November, your Clubcard Plus Subscription will automatically renew on 15 December.
    Last edited by dlusman; 21-11-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,799Posts Today

5,454Users online

Martin's Twitter