TalkTalk charging for emails!

Comments

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Elanfan wrote: »
    They’ve not contacted me yet about my Tiscali email address but doubtless they will want to charge on that one too.

They do intend to charge for it, unless you are a BB customer. Here's the email I received today:
    TalkTalk customers can have up to five mailboxes with us for free, but in order to keep running and improving the service, we need to start charging for TalkTalk Mail if customers no longer have broadband with us.

If you have TalkTalk broadband with us and want to keep enjoying all the benefits of TalkTalk Mail for free, link your email address to your broadband account by clicking below.

Registering your email address will also let you easily change your password and keep your mailbox safe. If you don’t have My Account set-up, you will need to do so.

Join us and keep your TalkTalk Mail free

If you’re not a TalkTalk customer, you can join us and continue to enjoy TalkTalk Mail for free. Call us on 0800 990 3635 to learn more about our great Fixed Low Price Plans and offers. All our plans include TalkTalk Mail at no extra cost.

If you want to just keep your email address, we’re happy to keep providing it to you, but you’ll need to sign up to TalkTalk Mail Plus for £5 a month or £50 a year.

Unfortunately, if you choose not to sign up for TalkTalk Mail Plus, from 06/10/2019 you’ll lose the vast majority of TalkTalk Mail features. For example, you’ll only be able to sign in at https://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail to check your emails.

A few months after 06/10/2019, we will start closing down mailboxes that aren’t registered to a TalkTalk Broadband account or signed up for TalkTalk Mail Plus.

Better start updating my email addresses then!
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i have had my own domain for 20 years and just use that all the time. All the Lineone addresses i had i stopped using when i stopped supporting them.
    Lineone was a paid for monthly service until freeserve came about and they ended up dropping the monthly charge to have an account.
    I think Lineone only lasted a year or 2 before Tiscali took them over along with several others. Lineone was owned by News group International back in the day.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I haven't had this yet... I had a lineone.net account but haven't touched it in a decade or more. I do still use 2 different tiscali.co.uk addresses but no message so far.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I do still use 2 different tiscali.co.uk addresses but no message so far.

I've had the email to my tiscali address, my daughter has had one to her email address but my sons haven't received emails yet - it must be staggered notifications?
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They do intend to charge for it, unless you are a BB customer. Here's the email I received today:

Better start updating my email addresses then!

I've had the same today.

Left Talktalk as an ISP years ago but kept the email address (only for receiving not allowed to send) as a throw away address when I didn't want to give my "proper" one.

All my important stuff is already moved over and it's mainly just spam on Talktalk now.
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    BT did this a few years ago, so I moved to gmail. You can move all your old mails into gmail and it's a much nicer interface. A bit of a pain changing you email address on all the sites you use, but well worth it in the end.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    I understand everything you are saying but I think it tells you a lot about the morality of a company that reneges on previous promises. There are as you say many other providers of free emails (for now at least) so what makes them think they are so special that they can charge?

It seems unlikely that a company would promise to provide free email even if your not a broadband customer of theirs. When and how did they make this promise?
  • Elanfan
    Elanfan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Do you think broadband existed in 1998? And yes I keep all the offers I’ve ever had over the last 20 years - I’ve got a 27 foot container in the garden. I’ll dig it out and get back to you in 2023!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Do you think broadband existed in 1998?

Well it did....
    And yes I keep all the offers I’ve ever had over the last 20 years - I’ve got a 27 foot container in the garden. I’ll dig it out and get back to you in 2023!

The point i'm making is that they never made a promise to provide free email forever because no company would make that promise.
  • Elanfan
    Elanfan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Broadband was launched by Telewest as a cable service in the year 2000.

These offers were made as an incentive to sign up with them I can’t swear on the bible that it was a free offer for ever but neither can you make the assertion it wasn’t as guess what - you weren’t there. Woulda shoulda coulda.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure