Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 25
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 15th Oct 19, 3:58 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ywlgy
    I submitted opening reads to Symbio on Sat 28 Sep and received an automatic reply on the following Monday that the reads were sent for validation. Two weeks later I am still waiting for final bill from British Gas. Symbio said they have sent the reads and it was validator's responsibility to send to BG and asked me contact BG. BG told me they had not received final reads and asked me to contact Symbio...

Last time I switched supplier the final bill was sent in 1 week. What could go wrong in this process?
    • Redboot
    • By Redboot 15th Oct 19, 4:15 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Redboot
    I submitted opening reads to Symbio on Sat 28 Sep and received an automatic reply on the following Monday that the reads were sent for validation. Two weeks later I am still waiting for final bill from British Gas. Symbio said they have sent the reads and it was validator's responsibility to send to BG and asked me contact BG. BG told me they had not received final reads and asked me to contact Symbio...

Last time I switched supplier the final bill was sent in 1 week. What could go wrong in this process?
    Originally posted by ywlgy
    It sounds like whoever you were with last time took a flyer when they produced you a final bill, and didn't await a validated meter read.
    That can result in having to produce a revised final bill later if the validated read differs from the meter reading they had used.

Suppliers are generally permitted up to 6 weeks to produce a final bill, which allows time for the meter reading to be validated.

Edit:
    Just been reading your recent thread. Seem BG were the existing supplier when you moved in a couple of months back.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6042317

How long did it take the supplier at your previous address to send you a final bill? Or are you still waiting?

Edit2:
    Now makes we wonder how long ago you switched from Utility Point which you only posted about a couple or three weeks ago
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=76309692&postcount=466
    Last edited by Redboot; 15-10-2019 at 4:31 PM.
    • merchcon55
    • By merchcon55 15th Oct 19, 4:27 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    merchcon55
    So here is how I get my head around their weird billing system:

Unlike other companies where we pay a fixed amount per month by Direct Debit, then at some point, the DD amount will be adjusted up or down to account for any credit or balance due, Symbio prefer to adjust your Direct Debit amount EVERY MONTH.

From your original estimate of your annual usage, they calculate a daily figure (in my case 1.95/day)

So in a 30 day month 58.50 and in a 31 day month 60.45

Based on the monthly meter reading you submit, they then calculate what you actually used the previous month - they either then add an amount to one of the above figures OR deduct an amount, if they over-estimated.

In my case, OCTOBER BILL was 60.45 LESS 17.50 for over estimate for SEPT = 42.95 DIRECT DEBIT to be taken on 20 October.

So it's not a true "spread your costs through the year" budget plan - your Direct Debit amounts are likely to be higher in the NOVEMBER - APRIL billing period, while they are likely to be smaller in the MAY - OCTOBER billing period.

I know that quite a few utility companies request higher payments in colder months and smaller payments in warmer months - and they are very upfront about this.

Symbio should be more up front - and let their customers know that it's not a "budget plan" payment scheme, but rather a "pay as you use" scheme.

It works for me - but I can fully understand where this could put some others on the back foot - especially as we approach the colder months - expect HIGHER MONTHLY PAYMENTS required.
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 15th Oct 19, 4:29 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ywlgy
    It sounds like whopever you were with last time took a flyer when they produced you a final bill, and didn't await a validated meter read.
    Originally posted by Redboot
    No, the validated read was used. So it means the process can be done quickly, and it should be, simple algorithm for validation. Dont't know what went wrong this time.

Symbio also told me they wouldn't receive validation result and would just use the reads I gave for opening read. I think the CS chap either lied or had no clue. Am I right?

PS to Redboot: UP was the supplier at my old address and produced the final bill promptly like 10 min after I told them the closing read. The switch process I referred to was from So Energy to UP at my old address a year ago.
    Last edited by ywlgy; 15-10-2019 at 4:36 PM.
    • Redboot
    • By Redboot 15th Oct 19, 4:34 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Redboot
    I don't know about CS, but the Woodster as part of CSI would be having a field day if he was here.

Blocked!
    • BoxerfanUK
    • By BoxerfanUK 15th Oct 19, 8:33 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    BoxerfanUK
    So it's not a true "spread your costs through the year" budget plan - your Direct Debit amounts are likely to be higher in the NOVEMBER - APRIL billing period, while they are likely to be smaller in the MAY - OCTOBER billing period.

I know that quite a few utility companies request higher payments in colder months and smaller payments in warmer months - and they are very upfront about this.

Symbio should be more up front - and let their customers know that it's not a "budget plan" payment scheme, but rather a "pay as you use" scheme.
    Originally posted by merchcon55
    Not a problem for those of us that heat our homes with gas but yes if you heat with electric then a much bigger winter fluctuation with regards to usage and thus, payments.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 15th Oct 19, 10:42 PM
    • 10,856 Posts
    • 8,151 Thanks
    GunJack
    Probably not.

Over half the UK energy domestic customers who are on credit meters are languishing on their suppliers most expensive, default tariff.
    And half of those have been there for over 3 years!

Almost 90% of those on a default tariff are with one of the Big 6 suppliers.

But from those who are actively switching, the majority are to suppliers other than the Big 6.

But who wants to save almost 300 a year on average anyway, despite it being the same gas and electricity coming through the same pipes and wires?
    Obviously over half those on credit meters don't!
    Originally posted by Redboot

I've been an active tariff chaser for some years, never on a standard variable rate until now with Bulb (which is cheaper in my region/useage than any of the big six's fixes or svr...my point is is the hassle really worth it to chase down the last pennies of savings...my time in doing so is worth far more than 100 a year that Symbio could save me in cash terms, but cash ain't everything all the time
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 16th Oct 19, 4:29 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    matelodave
    I asked Symbio why they couldn't just take my monthly DD like other companies rather than faffing with a variable DD and this is their answer

"In accordance to your query, we would like to inform you that our billing process and system is designed in such a way that, once there is a meter reading submitted by you, our system will automatically generate the invoice as per your actual usage based on the submitted meter reading at any given point of time. However, as per your request, we can confirm that we have set the Monthly Direct Debit to 76.56 as per your tariff plan.

We would advise you to kindly submit your meter read at end of 6 months or at the end of the year so that we can accordingly reconcile your invoice. "

So in a perverted way they seem to be happy with a meter reading once every 6 or even 12 months.

It doesn't really bother me as I keep my own spreadsheet going and I can monitor my consumption but I can see that it could cause some people a lot of grief, especially after 12 months if their DD wasn't accurate.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 16th Oct 19, 5:05 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    matelodave
    not seen any info about referring people. I think I can manage to do without 10
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • tk47
    • By tk47 16th Oct 19, 5:21 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    tk47
    I asked Symbio why they couldn't just take my monthly DD like other companies rather than faffing with a variable DD and this is their answer

"In accordance to your query, we would like to inform you that our billing process and system is designed in such a way that, once there is a meter reading submitted by you, our system will automatically generate the invoice as per your actual usage based on the submitted meter reading at any given point of time. However, as per your request, we can confirm that we have set the Monthly Direct Debit to 76.56 as per your tariff plan.

We would advise you to kindly submit your meter read at end of 6 months or at the end of the year so that we can accordingly reconcile your invoice. "

So in a perverted way they seem to be happy with a meter reading once every 6 or even 12 months.

It doesn't really bother me as I keep my own spreadsheet going and I can monitor my consumption but I can see that it could cause some people a lot of grief, especially after 12 months if their DD wasn't accurate.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    3.15. In order to bill you as accurately as possible, you must give us an up-to-date meter reading for your energy at least every 90 days and when requested by Symbio Energy if there is a reason to need more up to date meter readings. If you move supplier from Symbio Energy, you will be required to provide a final meter read to Symbio Energy from which a final energy bill will be calculated.
    https://symbioenergy.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 16th Oct 19, 6:01 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Talldave
    Good feedback.

As you are a symbio customer, do you want to give me a refer-a friend code? I think they pay 10 to you,
    Originally posted by KimT
    I think that's why their price is attractive; they're not spending money on that kind of marketing scheme.

I'm happy to recommend them for free! Their billing is weird, but in a roundabout way they're trying to only charge you for what you're using - which I like. However, that means the direct debit amount is changing every month- which may not be to everyone's liking and I'm not sure that's made clear before signing up.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Oct 19, 12:20 PM
    • 21,605 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    molerat
    Well, it gets worse. This morning I received a bill from Utilita covering 18-30 Sep. I switched from Eversmart on 11th Sept. Phoned Symbio and gave them my customer number and they asked some questions such as have I been with them a while - seemed a bit strange - but I said you have billed me and taken a direct debit once already. Said they would speak to billing and get back to me and gave me my landline number as contact - I phoned them on my mobile - so they do have a record of me. So something has gone drastically wrong somewhere and I feel a whole lot of pain coming.

Edit : Symbio got back to me within an hour. I was with them from 11th - 18th Sept when Utilita took my account from them . They do not send out sorry you are leaving mails. I have now got to sort out an erroneous transfer.

edit 2 : Got through to Utilita after 25minutes on hold and started the complaint. They agree they took the account from Symbio, seems I may not the only one, and they will start the transfer back.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Received a letter from Utilita this morning - "We are attempting to return your electricity supply ......"
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • griffb
    • By griffb 17th Oct 19, 5:22 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    griffb
    Thanks for that. My 3 missing rewards payments have been yet again queried by myself. If symbio is listed as an eligible company I expect to be paid
    Originally posted by Tafrock

NatWest Rewards have paid up
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 17th Oct 19, 5:25 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I can happily report that following relentless pursuit of my natwest rewards payments for my energy bill entitled to me regarding symbio energy payments the bank have at last paid what I am entitled to

It's only a small amount (2% of an already small bill) but im entitled to it so I kept pushing for it

Today I received 3 months of rewards paid into my reward account so natwest customers you will receive reward payments from now on if you are a reward customer
    • DocFrog
    • By DocFrog 17th Oct 19, 5:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    DocFrog
    RBS too
    I have been in touch with Rebecca at RBS complaints department and she today confirmed that my Symbio rewards will be paid.
    No coincidence, I'm sure,
    • SamDude
    • By SamDude 24th Oct 19, 2:52 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    SamDude
    Confirming that Natwest is now paying the Symbio (+ Zog) 2% reward on my account too.
    • Annette616
    • By Annette616 24th Oct 19, 2:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Annette616
    Be wary
    Hello
    I went over to Symbio from Eversmart [ thats another story] and have had problems from day one. I have direct debit but Symbio just take any amount they seem to think fit. At the moment I am questioning there rates charged as I disagree with their totals by about 80. I have been charged over 68 days to 1 November 252.00 which I dispute by checking the unit rate and standing charge on my tariff. Judging from my experience I would suggest everyone does the same. As regards contacting them that is proving difficult, emailing customer services gets no reply, phone yes you get person on the other end who are very polite and talk the talk but 3 calls down and still not resolved. I think this is going to be drawn out but will wait for the response I have been promised in 48 hours.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 24th Oct 19, 3:15 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Gerry1
    I have direct debit but I have been charged over 68 days to 1 November 252.00 which I dispute by checking the unit rate and standing charge on my tariff.
    Originally posted by Annette616
    Why not tell us the figures so we can check the calculation?
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 24th Oct 19, 7:41 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    rogcal
    Read the Symbio T&Cs before you do anything else.
    Over 230 savings offered on my current fixed tariff, how can they do it I asked myself and read their terms and conditions closely.

Payment in advance based on annual consumption calculation divided by 12.

No return of credit (without jumping through lots of hoops).

DDs fixed and no chance whatsoever of them allowing you to pay each month for what you actually use in that month by variable DD or bank transfer.

Slick, cut to the bone operation that will probably end up in trouble within a year or two if I'm not mistaken if it's not gobbled up by one of the big boys beforehand but why would they do that when they'll pick up all those customers left without a supplier when the bubble bursts.

Possibly shades of another Extra Energy debacle in the making and even when they go bust you'll have the administrators chasing you up for imaginary debt just like PWC have been ruthlessly doing for almost a year since Extra Energy went down the toilet.

Me, I'm going to stick with a supplier that puts the customer first and their pockets second, even if I'll miss out on the massive savings on offer.
    Last edited by rogcal; 24-10-2019 at 7:43 PM. Reason: typo
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 24th Oct 19, 8:36 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    Over 230 savings offered on my current fixed tariff, how can they do it I asked myself and read their terms and conditions closely.

Payment in advance based on annual consumption calculation divided by 12.

No return of credit (without jumping through lots of hoops).

DDs fixed and no chance whatsoever of them allowing you to pay each month for what you actually use in that month by variable DD or bank transfer.

Slick, cut to the bone operation that will probably end up in trouble within a year or two if I'm not mistaken if it's not gobbled up by one of the big boys beforehand but why would they do that when they'll pick up all those customers left without a supplier when the bubble bursts.

Possibly shades of another Extra Energy debacle in the making and even when they go bust you'll have the administrators chasing you up for imaginary debt just like PWC have been ruthlessly doing for almost a year since Extra Energy went down the toilet.

Me, I'm going to stick with a supplier that puts the customer first and their pockets second, even if I'll miss out on the massive savings on offer.
    Originally posted by rogcal
    Not sure what you mean

As I understand things from this thread, Symbio have such a complicated method of billing, you don't build up huge amounts of credit - it's taken care of each month

The only time you may be left waiting for credit is after you leave them, but it won't be much.
    Not sure any MSEer has left them yet to find out what happens.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,016Posts Today

6,855Users online

Martin's Twitter