Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alumende27
    • By alumende27 12th Jan 19, 2:21 AM
    • 357Posts
    • 340Thanks
    alumende27
    Hermes
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:21 AM
    Hermes 12th Jan 19 at 2:21 AM
    I'm surprised there isn't a sticky thread for Hermes.

Ordered some shirts online. Delivered to "a neighbour". No attempt from Hermes to come to our house (CCTV shows no access). None of my nearby neighbours know anything about it.

Complained to vendor, and to their credit they responded within an hour to say they've shipped another order...

With Hermes.

Sigh.

What's the chance that one will go missing too. I'll find out later today!
Page 1
    • London50
    • By London50 12th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    London50
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:29 AM
    Never had a problem with them in over 8 years, the last 4 years had the same person delivering and even yesterday had a delivery at 9.50 pm.
    It is a shame that some of the people they have delivering give the company a bad name but I have nothing but praise for the ones that have delivered to us.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 12th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 14,072 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 8:45 AM
    Sorry to hear Hermes have given you trouble OP...personally, I only wish ALL courier companies were as good as our local Hermes!
    • alumende27
    • By alumende27 12th Jan 19, 12:03 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    alumende27
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:03 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:03 PM
    To their credit, the replacement parcel turned up today unscathed. No sign of the first one. I'm starting to wonder if I have a dishonest neighbour.
    • pochisoldi
    • By pochisoldi 12th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    pochisoldi
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    To their credit, the replacement parcel turned up today unscathed. No sign of the first one. I'm starting to wonder if I have a dishonest neighbour.
    Originally posted by alumende27
    My money is on incompetent or lazy van driver.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 16th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 16th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    Got a "sorry you were out" card from Hermes yesterday. It said that they had left my parcel by the "back door". I don't have a back door!

My experience from other courier problems is to take it up with the retailer as the contract for delivery is between them and the courier
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 17th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 17th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    • 17th Jan 19, 1:40 PM
    I have to admit that my local Hermes delivery ladies, yes they are both female, are excellent. Never had any problems with their deliveries whatsoever.
    I do use them for sending stuff too. Up until the most recent they've been spot on. However, the last package I sent, earlier this month, has gone missing. Last tracking event shows out for delivery but it hasn't been. I can assume that the driver has possibly "mislaid" it. Fortunately I paid for extra insurance to cover the value. Only today submitted a claim form.
    Trying to contact them is not that easy. Online chat worked once and then hasn't since. An e-mail achieved a result.
    Now whether obtaining my money back is easy, only time will tell.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 17th Jan 19, 2:08 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    • 17th Jan 19, 2:08 PM
    • 17th Jan 19, 2:08 PM
    At least your got your second parcel (: it could be that you had a lazy driver the first tim
    • Lee Robertson
    • By Lee Robertson 17th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lee Robertson
    • 17th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    Nothing but bad experiences...
    • 17th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    Well somebody somewhere must be having good experiences with Hermes because they still manage to stay in business!

Personally I've had nothing at all but bad experiences with them and its gotten so bad I've actually refused to buy off of EBay vendors IF they use Hermes.

My house has about 20 parcels a week delivered and we rarely have any issues with any other than Hermes!

I have emails from Hermes stating a product will be delivered on a day, and then on that day when there is no delivery I use their previously inaccessible tracking function on their website and it states that they are actually still waiting to receive the product from the vendor! Another wasted day sitting around doing nothing productive!

They continually leave parcels in places specifically identified to their customer services as not safe to leave parcels, which then obviously go missing, I have apparently accepted parcels when I wasn't even in London! (I was in Birmingham visiting friends) BUT because it wasn't a signed for service the problem was with the seller! I've specified days that I will be out of the country to their customer services who assured me THREE TIMES on two separate occasions that adjustments to my delivery would be made... and of course there were no adjustments made and the parcels were lost by the time I reached the UK again! I've taken days off of work to be in for a delivery which has never happened! They've left parcels on the doorstep in full view of the street... which have then become rain sodden destroying electrical components inside the parcel...and the crowning service related turd is that they claim to have attempted to deliver whilst Im sitting in my office which has a window overlooking the path to my front door on a day whilst I've been sitting in the office all day and saw NOBODY!

Their Indian call centres are incapable of dealing with anything at all beyond giving an estimate on the delivery day. They give multiple false assurances none of which have EVER been honoured, then when I make an official complaint providing documentation of the conversations with the operators its all just dismissed.

The company is nothing more than a badly run international circus act!

Last edited by Lee Robertson; 17-01-2019 at 3:30 PM. Reason: forgot to mention another event
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 17th Jan 19, 6:18 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 3,828 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Hermes has always been the best of all the carriers for me.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th Jan 19, 8:21 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Got a "sorry you were out" card from Hermes yesterday. It said that they had left my parcel by the "back door". I don't have a back door!

My experience from other courier problems is to take it up with the retailer as the contract for delivery is between them and the courier
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    As a follow-up to this I got a quick response from the retailer (Harrys.com) who apologised, said they would pass on my feedback to Hermes and sent out a free replacement delivery using Royal Mail. Nice one.
    • CatyK
    • By CatyK 24th Jul 19, 7:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CatyK
    While I haven't had any major issues with Hermes until today, more to good luck than good management when parcels have just been dumped on my door and neither of my TWO doorbells used, they have surpassed themselves now on bad service. My Monsoon delivery which was due between 12 and 2pm today did not arrive. I have been in since 11.30 (just in case it came early) and was constantly looking and listening out for the delivery man - Charles, according to the email I received advising of the delivery window. There was no 'sorry we missed you' card nor was there any contact from the driver so at 2.05pm I checked the tracking information. Apparently delivery had been 'refused' at 1.03pm and my parcel is being sent back to Monsoon. I can only conclude that either the driver took it to the wrong address and a mischievous/malicious householder just told him to send it back and didn't appraise him of his error or that he didn't even try to deliver it. Regardless the onus is on Hermes to resolve this and get my goods to me - I need the dress for a function tomorrow. Alerted Monsoon immediately but apparently Hermes' systems are down. They have assured me they are on the case though. Hermes are willfully pretty much uncontactable, even to their direct customers - customer focused companies who are on top of services welcome feedback and encourage customer contact in my experience, those who are failing and floundering emulate the Hermes model, Enough said.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 25th Jul 19, 10:12 AM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    sheramber
    Because Hermes are cheap many companies use them.

Our current driver is very good once he gets the parcel , but sometimes parcels sit at the main depot for days before being handed over to him.

I don't know if it applies to all the drivers but our driver is self employed.

I told one company I would not order from them again due to Hermes delays and they said they could send by Yodel if I ordered by phone and requested it. But not for online orders.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 25th Jul 19, 12:59 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Takmon
    I've always found Hermes to be one of the best couriers when it comes to deliveries. They always make extra effort to deliver the parcel and not take it away which is exactly what i want. When no one is home they always leave the parcel where i ask them too.

Compare this to DPD they are too "by the book" they won't leave a parcel most times because they decide its "could be accessed by someone else". Well this will obviously apply to every safe location otherwise the delivery driver would not be able to get the parcel their themselves .

Sometimes they say the retailers insists that a signature is needed so DPD take it back to the depot. The Hermes person will just sign it for me and leave it where i ask. I know this is a bit dodgy but it helps me out and i have never had a parcel go missing ever.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 25th Jul 19, 2:02 PM
    • 35,097 Posts
    • 29,771 Thanks
    custardy
    I've always found Hermes to be one of the best couriers when it comes to deliveries. They always make extra effort to deliver the parcel and not take it away which is exactly what i want. When no one is home they always leave the parcel where i ask them too.

Compare this to DPD they are too "by the book" they won't leave a parcel most times because they decide its "could be accessed by someone else". Well this will obviously apply to every safe location otherwise the delivery driver would not be able to get the parcel their themselves .

Sometimes they say the retailers insists that a signature is needed so DPD take it back to the depot. The Hermes person will just sign it for me and leave it where i ask. I know this is a bit dodgy but it helps me out and i have never had a parcel go missing ever.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    and if one did. You would accept it as one of those things?
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 25th Jul 19, 3:08 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Takmon
    and if one did. You would accept it as one of those things?
    Originally posted by custardy
    I would report it to the police as theft and give them video footage of someone taking it.

If i say i'm happy for the parcel to be delivered to a specific place then they should put it there and from then on it's my responsibility.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 25th Jul 19, 5:23 PM
    • 35,097 Posts
    • 29,771 Thanks
    custardy
    I would report it to the police as theft and give them video footage of someone taking it.

If i say i'm happy for the parcel to be delivered to a specific place then they should put it there and from then on it's my responsibility.
    So whats the signature for?
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 26th Jul 19, 12:58 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Takmon
    So whats the signature for?
    DPD have refused to leave an item in my safe place on two occasions because a signature is required.

The last parcel i had from Hermes he left it in my safe place and then i saw on the tracking he had signed my name for me because a signature was needed.

When i emailed DPD a while ago asking why sometimes i don't get the option on their website to leave items in a safe place they say the retailer had instructed them a signature must be obtained so they couldn't do this.

That's why it's good when the Hermes driver will bend the rules to make both our lives easier by leaving the parcel anyway.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 26th Jul 19, 1:13 PM
    • 35,097 Posts
    • 29,771 Thanks
    custardy
    DPD have refused to leave an item in my safe place on two occasions because a signature is required.

The last parcel i had from Hermes he left it in my safe place and then i saw on the tracking he had signed my name for me because a signature was needed.

When i emailed DPD a while ago asking why sometimes i don't get the option on their website to leave items in a safe place they say the retailer had instructed them a signature must be obtained so they couldn't do this.

That's why it's good when the Hermes driver will bend the rules to make both our lives easier by leaving the parcel anyway.
    Why were you checking the Hermes signature? You are fine with them signing your name.
    So if that item wasnt there,you wouldnt contact the retailer/Hermes?

DPD offer various services to their customers (the sender) who choose safeplace/parcel shop options etc.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 26th Jul 19, 1:42 PM
    • 979 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    Takmon
    Why were you checking the Hermes signature? You are fine with them signing your name.
    I was out so checked the tracking to see if it had been delivered and i saw they had signed for me, so that's how i know they do it.

So if that item wasnt there,you wouldnt contact the retailer/Hermes?
    Well i can look back at camera footage to see what happened. If no parcel was left or the delivery driver took it away again i would obviously contact the retailer.

If someone else stole it then i wouldn't see the point in contacting the retailer.

DPD offer various services to their customers (the sender) who choose safeplace/parcel shop options etc.
    If the retailer specifies that a signature is required then they will not allow you to choose the safe place option. When you go on the tracking the option is not there and i confirmed this when i contacted DPD a while ago about a specific parcel not having this option.

I don't have any parcel shops near to me either.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,729Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter