Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darth2704
    • By darth2704 14th Dec 15, 9:10 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    darth2704
    Security Clearance & Bad debt
    • 14th Dec 15, 9:10 PM
    Security Clearance & Bad debt 14th Dec 15 at 9:10 PM
    Hi all

I hope someone can help

I have recently got a job as cabin crew flying for the military however have had some bad debt previously (well under 5k) and also got a fine on a train that later turned in to a conviction around a year ago but is now paid.

Does anybody know if I would pass my SC Security Clearance or should I just throw the towel in?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Thankyou
Page 1
    • Poppie68
    • By Poppie68 14th Dec 15, 9:52 PM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Poppie68
    • 14th Dec 15, 9:52 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 9:52 PM
    Hi all

I hope someone can help

I have recently got a job as cabin crew flying for the military however have had some bad debt previously (well under 5k) and also got a fine on a train that later turned in to a conviction around a year ago but is now paid.

Does anybody know if I would pass my SC Security Clearance or should I just throw the towel in?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Thankyou
    Originally posted by darth2704

Just make sure you declare absolutely everything that is the most important thing.
    • Poppie68
    • By Poppie68 14th Dec 15, 9:56 PM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Poppie68
    • 14th Dec 15, 9:56 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 9:56 PM
    Sorry I entered before adding:

Obviously the bad debt and conviction are not good when applying for SC but each will be decided on there on merit. They will be looking at the risk factor so as I said above complete openness and honesty is very important.
    • darth2704
    • By darth2704 14th Dec 15, 10:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    darth2704
    • 14th Dec 15, 10:04 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 10:04 PM
    Thanks I'm being as open and honest and detailed as I can but am worried they will just take one look and think it's a bad idea

Everyone makes mistakes I am only 22 but am hoping this one won't go against me!
    • Poppie68
    • By Poppie68 14th Dec 15, 10:30 PM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Poppie68
    • 14th Dec 15, 10:30 PM
    • 14th Dec 15, 10:30 PM
    Don't give up just keep going and hopefully you will get a positive result. Good luck.
    • Trying to be good
    • By Trying to be good 15th Dec 15, 7:27 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,430 Thanks
    Trying to be good
    • 15th Dec 15, 7:27 PM
    • 15th Dec 15, 7:27 PM
    Make sure you tell your employer as well as the vetting people about the conviction - they'll need to assess your employability whilst being only look at the national security risk.

Good luck with your career - we all deserve a second chance, honesty is the best policy here.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
    • peteuk
    • By peteuk 1st Jan 16, 9:54 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    peteuk
    • 1st Jan 16, 9:54 AM
    • 1st Jan 16, 9:54 AM
    TBH the debit isnt that large and the conviction is a minor offence.

Declare it, be honest at the very worst they can say no, but don't declare it and they find it then they have more grounds to say no.

Good luck!
    • ollylee
    • By ollylee 2nd Jan 16, 5:12 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ollylee
    • 2nd Jan 16, 5:12 PM
    • 2nd Jan 16, 5:12 PM
    yes absolutely right - be upfront straight away.

just been through security clearance myself and had a CCJ at the time (only just issued, and I was challenging it but they didn't ask about that bit). wasn't expecting the credit check to be part of the process and likely as worried as you are.

tell them everything. you'll should be okay but be upfront!

good luck. hope it goes well for you and you get the job.
    • ollylee
    • By ollylee 2nd Jan 16, 5:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ollylee
    • 2nd Jan 16, 5:15 PM
    • 2nd Jan 16, 5:15 PM
    i missed the conviction part. what security clearance level are you going for? is it a disclosure scotland job or full crb?
  • archived user
    i missed the conviction part. what security clearance level are you going for? is it a disclosure scotland job or full crb?
    Originally posted by ollylee
    They are not security clearances as such but do tend to be the first step in later security clearance checks Hence the reason to be truthful about any convictions etc.(DBS filtering will not apply)

As originally stated the OP is going for SC clearance

Quick breakdown of various clearances

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/working-in-government-security-vetting/
    • ollylee
    • By ollylee 2nd Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ollylee
    that's helpful as this may matter. OP what level are you going for?

remember if offered a role they want you ... don't be shy to call them neither for advice (likely future employer and all).

I done this and it did put my mind at ease as i was stressing loads at the time. answer to me was thank you for letting us know, don't worry about anything.

got the job :-)
    • ollylee
    • By ollylee 2nd Jan 16, 6:05 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ollylee
    can't add links but wonder if this helps?

google railforums.co.uk and look for thread 82784 as a starter for ten?. hopefully someone on this forum has had the same scenario as you.
  • archived user
    that's helpful as this may matter. OP what level are you going for?
    Originally posted by ollylee
    See my post above yours.

Just to re-iterate (from the original post). Apart from DV and its STRAPs, security clearances do not have levels within each one.

• ollylee
    • By ollylee 2nd Jan 16, 6:17 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ollylee
    good stuff. hopefully OP is okay. let us know
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 2nd Jan 16, 8:36 PM
    • 7,263 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    Security Clearances, I believe there are 3 levels.

CTC - Counter Terrorist Check
    SC - Security Check
    DV - Developed Vetting

Link - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance

• PaceThePixie
    • By PaceThePixie 11th Jan 16, 6:52 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    PaceThePixie
    Just wanted to chip in if that's ok.

I have been a member of the Armed Forces and for SC declare every little bit of financial information you can think of. If you don't they will possibly reject and make you reapply. I have seen so many people fall at this hurdle by being to embarrassed to disclose their financial history.

If you've ever been declared bankrupt or similar you wouldn't get in. My OH has a rather large debt mountain in a DMP but cannot declare himself bankrupt or similar as it would invalidate his SC.

Alias_Omega you are spot on with the three levels of clearances.

OP hope you got your SC and got the job BTW.
    Money scares me.

Honesty update will arrive shortly......
    • Cavolo Nero
    • By Cavolo Nero 11th Mar 16, 8:49 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cavolo Nero
    Ultimately with clearance theyre looking to see if you are honest - if you're hiding some deep dark secret you could be blackmailed into giving up classified information. Similarly if you were found to be hiding debts you could be susceptible to bribery. Tell them everything.
    • squaddie1987
    • By squaddie1987 20th Jul 16, 2:07 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    squaddie1987
    DV ? or SC?
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 1st Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    GingerBob
    It beggars belief. Paranoia Britain at its worst. Why is "security clearance" needed to work as cabin crew? It's not as though you'll be privy to state secrets.
    • tocsin
    • By tocsin 2nd Sep 16, 2:55 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    tocsin
    It beggars belief. Paranoia Britain at its worst. Why is "security clearance" needed to work as cabin crew? It's not as though you'll be privy to state secrets.
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    Cabin crew - "in the military" is the important bit! They will be in the same briefings as the rest of the crew, where stuff possibly up to UK SECRET UK EYES ONLY will be covered. So the standard (for the RAF, SC) clearances will be needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,706Posts Today

7,798Users online

Martin's Twitter