Inundated by Anglian calls and things may have got worse...

Options
dllive
dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Hi,

Last year I made the mistake of using Anglian to do my windows. I am now plagued with phone calls. I get them every few weeks (it doesnt sound like much but - as you can understand - it can get annoying, and they dont get off the phone!).

About 5 minutes ago I had a greasy little weazle knock on my door from Anglian giving me the hard sale. I pointed out that Anglian have already done all my secondary glazing and I dont want double glazing. He was accompanied by another man who started walking round my garden looking through (not at!) my windows. I live on my own and Im very concerned about their behaviour. I had to almost push them off my property and now Im paranoid they are going to come back outside of working hours and... well I dont know what.

What can I do? Complain and risk reprisal? Am I able to request the details of these 2 scum bags so that - should anything happen to my property - I know exactly who is likely to blame?

Like I say, this happened 5 minutes ago and Im still shaking. Anglian shouldnt be able to use these bully-boy tactics. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phone the window company and politely ask if they have got authorised people in your area today at this time. Explain how their behaviour did not quite seem usual, especially as you are a customer of the window company anyway.

Then ask if they can remove you from their telephone marketing as you don't want to waste their time.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem of constant sales calls from Anglian, I have asked many times to have my name removes from their selling data and each time I am told they hold all their information on paper lists and while they can scub my name off one list they can't take them off others.

this does reveal something about this company.!

When I was dealing with the instillation I ended up emailing the chief executive, this was dealt with promptly but they also in their reply sent all the back emails as it was handed down the chain of command. I don't think they are very computer literate!!!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    Someone ought to report them then:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/marketing.aspx
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • jumpedtheshark
    Options
    Write to them and revoke their implied licence to set foot on your property, telling them that you'll sue them in trespass to land if any of their representatives visit your house again.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Get signed up to this and then report them.
  • Krojan
    Krojan Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Write to them clearly stating that you wish to no longer be contacted for marketing and sales purposes and request that your contact details are removed, and make sure as previously stated that you mention that their implied right of access to your property is immediatly revoked, that way if they do its trespass. Send it via recorded so you have a proof of reciept, if that does not work, you can report them to your telephone service provider for the calls and take legal action if they trespass on your property.

Registering for the TPS won't help with this case as you already gave them your number as a customer, it only helps with companies that you have not had any prior dealings with or those you have but have previously specifically requested "no marketing/sales" contact, it's still worth registering for that and the MPS.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    dllive wrote: »
    Hi,

Last year I made the mistake of using Anglian to do my windows. I am now plagued with phone calls. I get them every few weeks (it doesnt sound like much but - as you can understand - it can get annoying, and they dont get off the phone!).

About 5 minutes ago I had a greasy little weazle knock on my door from Anglian giving me the hard sale. I pointed out that Anglian have already done all my secondary glazing and I dont want double glazing. He was accompanied by another man who started walking round my garden looking through (not at!) my windows. I live on my own and Im very concerned about their behaviour. I had to almost push them off my property and now Im paranoid they are going to come back outside of working hours and... well I dont know what.

What can I do? Complain and risk reprisal? Am I able to request the details of these 2 scum bags so that - should anything happen to my property - I know exactly who is likely to blame?

Like I say, this happened 5 minutes ago and Im still shaking. Anglian shouldnt be able to use these bully-boy tactics. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi dllive - we're sorry to hear about your experiences. We'd recommend contacting our Consumer Helpline (08454 04 05 06, 9am to 5pm, Mondays to Fridays) for advice on this. Our Helpline also has links with Trading Standards, should this need to be reported as a case to them.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    whitewing: Unfortunately thats wishful thinking. Ive politely asked them (with various degrees of politeness) to take me off their list many times. Thanks for the web link - Ill look into this.

jumpedtheshark: is that possible? I shall definitely do this if thats the case.

Fergie76: Yep, done this ages ago (thanks to a great article on this site about Telephone Preference Service), but Anglian seem to keep calling!

CAB National Representative: Thank you very much, I shall phone you soon.

To anyone thinking of using Anglian - DONT! Everything you hear about them constantly bombarding you with calls is true. I dont understand why they use these bully-boy tactics, all it does is annoy people and make them never want to use their (below average service and over inflated price) products again.

Thanks very much for your replies, at least I now have a direction to take.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure