giving family member money

hi,

i am going travelling and gave my dad most of my money and he will be giving me an allowance ever so often.

it is a sizeable amount so i was wondering if i should get him to sign a disclaimer to say the money is mine, would be ok should anything happen?!

or what should it include.

is this also morally wrong?

many thanks

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Is your Dad claiming any means tested benefits?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • no he is not
  • Hmm71
    Hmm71 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Why don't you trust your dad?
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You can set up a "bare trust", and have your Dad as trustee. However, I'm a little confused - why can't you just keep the money in your own name?
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    As above, why not leave the money in your bank and take a debit card with you? Can't you open another account and get a monthly direct debit set up to deposit funds into your travelling account
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Ridgway wrote: »
    hi,

i am going travelling and gave my dad most of my money and he will be giving me an allowance ever so often.

it is a sizeable amount so i was wondering if i should get him to sign a disclaimer to say the money is mine, would be ok should anything happen?!

or what should it include.

is this also morally wrong?

many thanks

Hi Ridgway - this isn't an area being covered by our CAB representatives, and we don't have information on what to do on our Adviceguide website. If you Google "borrowing from family or friends", you can find a lot of useful hints and tips. Perhaps, as paddedjohn has suggested, setting up a practical alternative that you have complete control over might be the best option.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure