Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Real Life MMD: My son broke boy's glasses - should I pay?
    • 15th Jun 11, 5:29 PM
    Real Life MMD: My son broke boy's glasses - should I pay? 15th Jun 11 at 5:29 PM
    My son broke boy's glasses - should I pay?

I was called into school as my son broke another boy's glasses in a play fight. The school questioned them and they admitted they were being stupid but it wasn't malicious. The next day this boy's older brother started bullying my son saying he'd have to pay for the glasses. Now the school have called saying this boys' parents want us to pay 50% (25) towards new glasses. The boy admitted his broken glasses were very old and had been broken several times already. Should I have to pay?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 21-06-2011 at 7:50 PM.
Page 5
  • Gerryhearn
    I'm not sure if the rules are still the same but my glasses-wearing elder son went to an independent school and we had to pay for all repairs.
    It's tough having a child that wears glasses.
    • Plumjam
    • By Plumjam 22nd Jun 11, 6:16 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Plumjam
    This happened to my son last year. I called the head teacher and said I wasn't happy that glasses I'd paid 60 for were broken. She told me to order a new pair and to send her the bill - the school has insurance and that's what it's there for (her words, not mine).
  • spelter
    i'm a teacher...you should not pay; would you expect someone to pay if you child ripped their trouser knee? no i think not....also many children get them replaced etc on nhs for free!!
    Originally posted by Missb
    Heaven help us! You're a teacher??? Your punctuation and spelling is appalling! What chance have our children got?
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 22nd Jun 11, 6:53 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 10,057 Thanks
    Seakay
    I find a few aspects of this puzzling;

your child play fights
    the other child's older brother bullies

the other child admitted (to whom? why was he being interrogated?) that the glasses where old.
    Old in whose opinion? and relative to what?
    A child may think two months is a long time, I doubt his parents will!

Have you been in direct contact with the parents or do you intend to carry out negotiations through your children? If the latter then expect more misinterpretation, antagonism and a school that will rapidly become annoyed at having to referee.

Get in touch with the other parents and sort it out between you. You are supposed to be the adults so make a decision. I suspect that you think you ought to pay something or you wouldn't be considering the question.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 22nd Jun 11, 6:54 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 10,057 Thanks
    Seakay
    i'm a teacher...you should not pay; would you expect someone to pay if you child ripped their trouser knee? no i think not....also many children get them replaced etc on nhs for free!!
    Originally posted by Missb
    A teacher of what?

Please tell me that it does not involve any written work.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 22nd Jun 11, 7:01 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    tallgirld
    Yes I would pay it. I would also approach the boy who was bullying my son. I would let him know that if he bullies my son again I will come back down the school and knock him out!!!
  • SuzySF
    No, dont pay. a. childrens glasses are free and b. the glasses would (should) not be any older than 12 months, as children who wear glasses get a free eye test yearly. I would also tell the school this, and report the bullying of your son. The only proviso to the free glasses is if they were Designer Frames. which are paid for.
    Personally I think they are trying to pull a fast one !
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • Stressed working Mum
    Glasses are expensive for kids
    My daughter has astigmatism and has been wearing glasses since she was 3. For the early years she wore free glasses, but she is now 12 and the choice for girls in free glasses is appalling. We made a decision to buy her glasses that were more stylish and she loved them. She went to a swimming party a week later; the Mum in charge tidied all the clothes up and put the glasses from my daughters usual safe place (her shoes - works for me too!) into a bag. The glasses ended up broken and she refused to pay for them.

My daughter looks after glasses and yet when someone else broke them, we had to pay for them. When I suggested to the Mum that it was actually her fault, she objected and then said that my daughter would not be invited to any other parties.

Please don't assume that everyone gets glasses for free, because they don't. If someone broke your childs mobile phone, you would expect them to pay for it and they are a luxury item, not an essential one!
  • cannotfindausername
    Hi there, both of my children wear glasses and we too have encountered instances where their glasses have been broken at school. We always take them back and our chosen opticians always get them replaced. The only time we have come up against any opposition was when their eye test was very close and they refused to fix them incase their prescription would change or something (When they were having their tests at the hospital)...
    I would be taking myself off to the opticians to find out the protocol for glasses replacement (I would also let the parents know that this is what you are doing). I would also be contacting the school to find out all of the details regarding this incident, (as a teacher) I realise these things happen but i would want to know all of the details to ensure it doesn't happen again.
    xx
    • nickyd105
    • By nickyd105 22nd Jun 11, 7:27 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    nickyd105
    no i wouldnt pay if you are i the uk, as they are free.
    2 things happened last week to me, my wing mirror came off, my mate tryed to push it back on, but she dropped it and it smashed, then 2 days later my daughters friend went on my daughters bike, dropped the bike on the floor in temper as it was to big for her and wasnt happy and the mud guard snapped off.
    so i had to pay out of my own money for 2 things that broke and were not my fault, i would not of dreamed of telling either of them to pay up. but i still wasnt happy, bbut i got over it!
  • GemmaA
    Disregarding the potential option of Specsavers replacing a complete of set spectacles, frames and glasses for free (lucky them, however, I don't believe it's quite that easy...)
    Originally posted by clouds21
    I too work for this company and it really is true! Under 16s will get a replacement pair of glasses, and lenses if they are damaged, free. The only reason I can think why they are costing 50 to replace is that the may be a designer pair with an anti reflection coating. As far as the dilemma goes, I think you should pay half as it was also your child involved, but ask for a copy of the receipt with a breakdown before handing over any money.

And talk to the school about the bullying problem.
    • babb
    • By babb 22nd Jun 11, 7:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    babb
    Seriously, why in Britain in the 21st Century is the government using taxes to give children 'free' glasses? Britons are amongst the richest people in the world. I presume this parental perk is open to all parents regardless of income?!

It's quite ridiculous that the government should be responsible for buying, repairing and replacing children's glasses.
    Originally posted by ISAmad

Maybe because poor eyesight is a medical problem and treating medical problems is what the NHS, which is not means-tested, is for? Glasses, at least not the NHS kind, are hardly a perk.
    • Sensible_Jess
    • By Sensible_Jess 22nd Jun 11, 8:54 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Sensible_Jess
    Seriously, why in Britain in the 21st Century is the government using taxes to give children 'free' glasses? Britons are amongst the richest people in the world. I presume this parental perk is open to all parents regardless of income?!

It's quite ridiculous that the government should be responsible for buying, repairing and replacing children's glasses.
    Originally posted by ISAmad
    Off topic but - I find it outragous that anyone who needs glasses to see has to pay for them, regardless of age. It's not their fault that they cannot see clearly (or at all) without the aid of glasses.

Back on topic - the glasses could be replaced/mended for free, but if it so happens they can't, why not ask where the specs will be bought from and get a voucher from there? That way they can't be spent on anything else (and don't forget to ask for a receipt)
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 22nd Jun 11, 9:21 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    Disregarding the potential option of Specsavers replacing a complete of set spectacles, frames and glasses for free (lucky them, however, I don't believe it's quite that easy...), fact is that child broke another child's glasses, and parents should still take responsibility for their children's actions until they reach the age of 16, shouldn't they? It seems a bit odd that a parent wouldn't want to take responsibility and pass that message on to their child, in order for them not to do it again. Seems a very small price to pay to teach a very valuable lesson.
    Originally posted by clouds21
    So, picture this. A child, who happens to wear glasses, bullies other kids. One day, one of those kids decides he or she has had enough. They fight back, the bully's glasses get broken. Should that child who fought back still be responsible? What sort of life lesson is it if that child does not fight back?

As we already know the older sibling is indeed a bully. So it's always possible that the child with the broken glasses is also a bully. It's possible...
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible
  • tphil
    First ask the school if they have accidental damage insurance, that may cover the child's claim. If not then I view it like a car accident, the maximum you might be liable for is the write off value, not the new value. The parents sound as if they are trying to get you to subsidise new glasses which is unreasonable. As the glasses are old and already damaged, they are probably valueless. As your child broke them you could offer them a token payment say ten pounds without accepting liability, but I don't think you have to.
    • jenblackrod
    • By jenblackrod 22nd Jun 11, 9:43 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    jenblackrod
    Yes of course you should pay. Its only 50% so I think they're meeting you half way. It takes two to fight. Its only fair.
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 22nd Jun 11, 9:50 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    Hard to say. Is it affordable? Cheap glasses start from 30 so I would offer half of this. Alternatively, bake some cakes as a gesture of goodwill and stick a sorry note in there? This method would be cheaper!
    Originally posted by mayling03
    No they don't cheep ones start at free for children. There is a huge range and in the latest styles. You do not need to pay for childrens glasses or their repair. I didn't even have to pay for new glasses for my son when he deliberately threw them in the sea.
    • shehen23
    • By shehen23 22nd Jun 11, 10:38 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    shehen23
    Some people don't appear to have read the MMD properly. This was not one boy breaking another boy's glasses. This was a boy with glasses getting into a physical game with another boy in the course of which the glasses were broken. Therefore, the boy to whom the glasses belonged was solely responsible for the damage, at least morally (sorry if that all sounded a bit confusing). I have a child with glasses and if she got into this kind of play fight it would be her I'd be angry with. They're her glasses - therefore her responsibility. Unless they were broken deliberately by another child I wouldn't dream of demanding payment, and the fact that that the other parents in the MMD sent their older child to bully a young boy to pay for glasses that can replaced for free demonstrates to me that they are simply taking advantage. Don't pay them a penny!
    • Shreddie
    • By Shreddie 22nd Jun 11, 11:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Shreddie
    scamming you
    Get a receipt for the old glasses....bet they don't have one. Tell them to get lost and report the older boy for bullying. If they give you any problem phone the police. I hate these parents who try it on. Who knows whether the glasses were already broken that day or not!
  • sysky
    childrens glasses are free if they want more expensive ones that is there problem not yours. and even if its within 2 years if they are broken beyond repair they are still free!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,344Posts Today

7,743Users online

Martin's Twitter