Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 19th May 09, 9:31 AM
    • 9,739Posts
    • 7,171Thanks
    Crabman
    0 WOW
    US ($) Currency Thread 2
    • 19th May 09, 9:31 AM
    0 WOW
    US ($) Currency Thread 2 19th May 09 at 9:31 AM
    US Currency - Questions & Answers Thread 2

Please use this thread for all queries related to US Currency conversion, rates and the best time to buy.

The old thread can be found here: US Currency Thread 1

Useful links:

Question of the Week: When should I buy my foreign currency?

Travel Money Maximiser (find the best exchange rate to buy before you travel)

XE.com (real-time exchange rates)

Spending Overseas (Martin's article listing the best ways to spend abroad)

VISA exchange rate

Locate a VISA ATM

Locate a Mastercard ATM

Historical exchange rate graphs: 30 days, 90 days, 180 days

How to Search
    Click "Search This Thread" (just above this post and to the right) and enter your search terms - results will be shown as posts throughout the thread

What if I don't find the info?
    Try a general forum search - otherwise post your question on this thread and someone will do their best to help you out.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Page 148
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 21st Nov 16, 3:22 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    1.25 Its a good fight but it nearly aint won yet

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-21/pound-jumps-almost-1-percent-in-one-minute-of-trading-chart?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialf low-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Code:
    https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/technical/home/analysis/gbp-usd/2016/11/21/daily-classics-gbpusd-11-21-2016-srepstans.html?ref-author=Stanley

Ashraf Laidi a forex trader Ive followed since the big fuss back in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSMTSfpSGHw
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/pound-jumps-amid-speculation-uk-can-reach-single-market-deal/ar-AAl0gdc?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp
    Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 02-12-2016 at 1:23 AM.
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ľ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you canít go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 4th Jan 17, 6:03 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Happy New Year
    Im inclined to think sterling should rise in 2017 more then fall. Since brexit is ongoing thats purely a guess, the dust is not settled and theres no clear view.
    Doubt is not a bullish prospect - I clipped a positive news article though

1.235 is the first rung on a long slippery ladder

On the economic front, the good news continues to roll in, confounding those (myself included) who feared the worst in the Brexit aftermath. Figures released Monday, for example, show U.K. manufacturing growing at its fastest pace since mid-2014 in December as the weaker pound boosted exports and helped the industry shrug off its post-Brexit dip:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-04/sterling-s-post-brexit-depression-looks-melodramatic?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&cmpid%3D=socialflow-facebook-brexit&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&utm_medium=social&utm _source=twitter
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Jan 17, 7:05 PM
    • 9,019 Posts
    • 14,898 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Happy New Year sabretoothtigger!
    Thanks for the updates
    (Current travel plans on hold at the moment, but I always have an eye on the rate with a view to future travel plans.)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1223.85 (£750 offset), Dec £50

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 4th Jan 17, 10:54 PM
    • 19,758 Posts
    • 25,729 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Happy New Year sabretoothtigger!
    Thanks for the updates
    (Current travel plans on hold at the moment, but I always have an eye on the rate with a view to future travel plans.)
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Watch closely Jackie.
    "stuff" in the US seemed dearer this time (in $'s) and the exchange rate meant we were spanked twice over.

• jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 5th Jan 17, 7:52 AM
    • 9,019 Posts
    • 14,898 Thanks
    jackieblack
    "stuff" in the US seemed dearer this time (in $'s)
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    Yes, I thought the same last trip

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Jan 17, 5:46 PM
    • 27,191 Posts
    • 71,363 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Yes, I thought the same last trip
    Originally posted by jackieblack

Same here. That was our summer trip. We're off again next week. I don't think I'll be buying much - that's apart from the normal supermarket shops, for which we are rarely reimbursed!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 24th Jan 17, 4:48 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Roughly bearish view by me until it beats 1.26 with confidence. This is a trend going back to the vote itself which makes sense cos we had some major news today.

Right this moment its done well and this week, just putting that line in the metaphorical sand. Or put another way, I want to see it more positive then the start of December then it might gain alot (hopefully)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-38723261
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 20th Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Blue is price on this chart. Black lines in bold are my estimates of trends lasting years (borders or kerbs to a price range)

Big news with this election, who would have thunk it.

I first thought it must be bullish for sterling and that seems to be the case so far.
    Same deal as before, it must hurdle the December prices and establish above. Then target 1.31 and 1.34

Been a long while since sterling was positive and the doubt remains I think but we have till June 5th to dream. 1.34 is the top of a declining trend and I guess any positive trend halts at that juncture for further news
    Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 26-04-2017 at 5:25 PM.
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 28th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Dollar is weakening is a story I just read in FT
    https://www.ft.com/content/acd6e8ee-7375-11e7-93ff-99f383b09ff9

Some of that shows in a slightly better Sterling rate to dollar. I'm wondering now if it can break some negative trends.

If we see 1.334 I'll take that was a good presumption. 1.334 is gap window, the gap being the brexit decline and a 1st gap fill target would be 1.41

Stepping stones to a recovery, hopefully with no slips
    Last edited by sabretoothtigger; 28-07-2017 at 7:07 PM.
    • evergreen
    • By evergreen 21st Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    evergreen
    Transferring money from a UK account to USA accoun
    What is the most cost efficient way to convert money from a Uk account to US dollars and put into US bank account.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 21st Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    eDicky
    What is the most cost efficient way to convert money from a Uk account to US dollars and put into US bank account.
    Originally posted by evergreen
    https://www.revolut.com/ (<£5k/month, on weekdays)
    • lynn44
    • By lynn44 22nd Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1,073 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    lynn44
    Any advice/help please, We was going to Florida in April due to ill health trip all cancelled ( at a lost ) I had already changed my £1000 into $1300, so now I'm left with another loss of $150 to change it back ....
    I would love to be a Travel Agent
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 23rd Feb 18, 7:33 AM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    eDicky
    Any advice/help please, We was going to Florida in April due to ill health trip all cancelled ( at a lost ) I had already changed my £1000 into $1300, so now I'm left with another loss of $150 to change it back ....
    Originally posted by lynn44
    Sorry to hear about your inability to travel and that exchange rates have moved in an unfavourable way for you. The risks and expense of exchanging cash can easily be avoided by using one of the many 'travel' cards available, keeping your money in pounds until using the card with conversion then at the ideal rate without fees.

If possible find friends/family/colleagues who need some dollars for their own trip and offer yours at the mid-market rate (see xe.com) for mutual benefit. Otherwise look for the best 'buy back' rates available on the MSE travel money tool. But I hope that you will regain health and later make the trip with your dollars...
    • TheEssexlad
    • By TheEssexlad 3rd Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheEssexlad
    My daughter works for a US company and is paid in $ , what is the best way to transfer a large sum to a Uk account and get a good exchange rate deal ?
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 15th Jan 19, 1:59 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9E6eJSN-Kc

As far the exchange rate I thought I'd post a video I just saw on this fateful day, discussing cross to euro dollar and yen

Its a trading video, lots of charts but I often just listen to it in the background as the graphics arent essential and can resemble a plate of spaghetti for clarity

Price is very political at the moment. My observation long term on Dollar is whether its currently putting in a lower high which would lead us into a trend of weaker dollar.

Previous high was post US election and current high is from tariffs favouring the larger trading section which is currently US dollar.
    The idea is this starts a larger then normal negative trend that will exceed the Jan 18 low etc.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 15th Jan 19, 6:39 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    brianposter
    My daughter works for a US company and is paid in $ , what is the best way to transfer a large sum to a Uk account and get a good exchange rate deal ?
    Originally posted by TheEssexlad
    Learn a bit about foreign exchange and open a forex trading account.
    • snickpan
    • By snickpan 21st Feb 19, 3:00 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    snickpan
    I've read few pages, seems a bit stock markety.
    What is the best way to spend money in New York, end of March. Change here, change there, or is there a bank account that doesn't charge for transactions or withdrawals in US?
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 21st Feb 19, 3:02 PM
    • 9,019 Posts
    • 14,898 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I've read few pages, seems a bit stock markety.
    Originally posted by snickpan
    Because this is a thread for discussing currency trends and fluctuations
    What is the best way to spend money in New York, end of March. Change here, change there, or is there a bank account that doesn't charge for transactions or withdrawals in US?
    Originally posted by snickpan
    I usually withdraw a small amount of cash on arrival (if I don’t have any left from a previous trip) using a fee free card and use fee free credit cards for everything else.

For info on overseas spending, try here
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/
    Last edited by jackieblack; 21-02-2019 at 3:10 PM.

• sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 11th Dec 19, 6:00 PM
    • 10,027 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Long time no post but I feel obliged to raise the flag on a possible trend change or break of the negative trend in Sterling.
    Been watching it recently as I have an interest to do so as many prices are affected.

I'am quite bullish on sterling from here, its still quite low and theres much room in the last 9 years of losses.

I've no idea how this fits into overall news, of course USA has it own news and I've heard Dollar stated as strong right now indexed - DXY

Look at cable prices for two years ago I think as a target, that'd be big from this years lows. Then it might develop from there though technically its still within a negative channel.

If we dont hold 1.3 weekly close for rest of this year I would guess its invalidated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

2,876Users online

Martin's Twitter