Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • D1zzy
    • By D1zzy 5th May 09, 1:34 PM
    • 1,482Posts
    • 628Thanks
    D1zzy
    What to send to Afghanistan?
    • 5th May 09, 1:34 PM
    What to send to Afghanistan? 5th May 09 at 1:34 PM
    I want to send a parcel/packet to a guy in his 20s who's just gone out to Afghanistan. Can anyone give me an idea of the things that are most needed or would be most appreciated. I might as well fill up the 2Kg packet - so any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 28-08-2012 at 6:10 PM.
Page 3
    • Marg
    • By Marg 19th Jun 12, 12:37 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    Marg
    Agree with the bit about depends where you are. Bastion has a shop with all toiletries, chocolate, crisps, magazines etc. It also has pretty good food. FOBS can vary - but from friends that were sent to these (I stayed in Bastion) food could be very monotonous.

Home baking survived very well - especially fudge and flapjack. Even cakes that were well packaged. I appreciated magazines, and even the occasional newspaper. Post took from 4 days (at it's very quickest) to 10 days - add 1 week for a FOB.

If anyone's looking for things to send to those they don't know, the hospital in Bastion is always grateful for donations of new flip-flops, shorts and t-shirts of varying sizes. This is so they can give them to soldiers that come through that have all had their clothes cut off in A&E, or ruined by whatever incident they had been involved in. Second hand dvds (including those free from newspapers) are also great for the patient library - gives the guys something to watch when they lying in bed and can't get out. The final thing the hospital were looking for were douvet covers and pillow cases (single size) for the hospital beds. They have some, but not enough when they need constant washing, and a Spiderman douvet set usually cheers the guys up too! Send to the Red Cross Welfare Office, Camp Bastion Hospital, UK JF Med Group, Op Herrick, BFPO 792
    Originally posted by BaobabAmy
    Is this address still valid please?
    • PHARR
    • By PHARR 9th Jul 12, 1:01 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    PHARR
    Is this address still valid please?
    Originally posted by Marg
    Yeah its a permanent post based within the main base in Camp Bastion. Even if they move it or change places your parcel / mail to them would certainly go to the correct unit or office which this represents. Iv just got back from Afghan about 2 weeks ago and it was still there then.
  • spicyprawn
    Welcome back My sis just went out so having a quick look for some more ideas but pretty much sending what I have before
  • nicsue44
    I was asked by specific individuals for 'body puffs' (I think they have another name, but can't think of it - balls of nylon mesh to use in the shower) apparently they work well with very little soap/water. Also 'freezy pops' - the unfozen ones, they had some means of freezing them out there.
  • nicsue44
    Yeah its a permanent post based within the main base in Camp Bastion. Even if they move it or change places your parcel / mail to them would certainly go to the correct unit or office which this represents. Iv just got back from Afghan about 2 weeks ago and it was still there then.
    Originally posted by Paddy H
    Do the parcels still have to be under the 2kg or is this outside the free service?
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 31st Aug 12, 3:42 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    stardust09
    Parcels still have to be under 2kg.
    • gorgeousgeorge
    • By gorgeousgeorge 31st Aug 12, 8:25 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    gorgeousgeorge
    welfare parcels to afganistan
    Hey All i have been sending welfare parcels to our lads & lasses that are out on deployment for the past 3 years via facebook parel sending groups... for more info please feel free to send me an inbox message... best wishes... Mel
    "I live my dream today, I lived it yesterday and I'll be living yours tomorrow"

If you don't want to work, you have to work to earn enough money so that you won't have to work
  • welshgirl_michelle
    Anyone know if we can send out cans of coke? I've searched for the answer but can't seem to find anything
  • maddymoo
    I'm not sure on that one. It's not something I've sent out and I'm not sure how well it would survive the hold pressure on the plane. If the person you're sending it out to is at one of the main bases, then cans are available there. Maybe someone else will know the answer for definite.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 9th Sep 12, 1:16 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 9,562 Thanks
    wondercollie
    er, I've had canned beer fizzle open in the cabin of a plane, back in the pre 9-11 darkages.

Wouldn't bother as most of the time my guys said they wanted water, gatorade or any sports type drink. We put a lot of individual flavour sachets in the boxes, gatorade, ice tea, koolaid, and Tang (didn't know that the stuff was even still made!)
    • devonlad
    • By devonlad 9th Sep 12, 5:14 AM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 8,224 Thanks
    devonlad
    Anyone know if we can send out cans of coke? I've searched for the answer but can't seem to find anything
    Originally posted by welshgirl_michelle
    nope cant risk the pressure on flight etc , my wife sent me a cherry coke and it popped?
    hope that helps
    The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
    We workers all love it and the ppc hate it
  • welshgirl_michelle
    Thanxs for your answers. I didn't think it would be a good idea due to the pressure. But it was worth asking for your opinions
  • welshgirl_michelle
    I've sent a couple of parcels so far to my boyfriend that's in Afghan. Im about to send another for his birthday. Each time i have to fill out the customs declaration form that goes on the parcel to declare whats in the parcel. Im sending him a few birthday gifts and I'm thinking he will know what's inside b4 he opens it for his birthday??
    • dw85
    • By dw85 18th Sep 12, 8:32 AM
    • 171 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dw85
    With regards to Cutoms parcel contents, you don't have to be specific to a point. DVDs can be optical media (I know I sent out USB sticks with videos and pictures) but I know I didn't list every single item.
    Depends what you are sending but there will be a way of being descriptive without giving the game away as to what it is exactly. What do you have in mind?
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
  • welshgirl_michelle
    With regards to Cutoms parcel contents, you don't have to be specific to a point. DVDs can be optical media (I know I sent out USB sticks with videos and pictures) but I know I didn't list every single item.
    Depends what you are sending but there will be a way of being descriptive without giving the game away as to what it is exactly. What do you have in mind?
    Originally posted by dw85
    Thank you I've got him a dvd along with some artist pencils & scotch book as he loves his drawing. Looking for a small photo frame too so i can put a photo of us in it. I'm going 2 keep his main things for when he's back on his R and R in February as he won't get any use of them out there Its the 1st time doing something like this so i was a little suck with ideas of what 2 send him. This forum has helped me lots!
    • dw85
    • By dw85 18th Sep 12, 11:23 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dw85
    That's ok, you could list the art supplies as stationary or something.
    My fianc! deployed last week to the other side of the world for four months, so will be back to the routine (it's the 4th time he's gone whilst we have been together) but will miss being able to send free parcels!
    Got into the habit of sending him a copy of a motorcycle newspaper every week...by the end of he last tour I was v friendly with the local PO!
    Must remember to actually get and post Christmas stuff early as well. BFPO website should have last dates but it will get very busy, it always does, so try and allow extra time.
    Change is inevitable...nothing stays the same forever
  • welshgirl_michelle
    That's ok, you could list the art supplies as stationary or something.
    My fianc! deployed last week to the other side of the world for four months, so will be back to the routine (it's the 4th time he's gone whilst we have been together) but will miss being able to send free parcels!
    Got into the habit of sending him a copy of a motorcycle newspaper every week...by the end of he last tour I was v friendly with the local PO!
    Must remember to actually get and post Christmas stuff early as well. BFPO website should have last dates but it will get very busy, it always does, so try and allow extra time.
    Originally posted by dw85
    Will certainly have to start thinking about Christmas soon! I'm just trying to find small things 2 send to him as i know what i send out to him, he must carry back with him Thanxs again
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

3,741Users online

Martin's Twitter