Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    loulou88
    16 year old son starting his army training help!
    • 15th Aug 08, 9:12 PM
    16 year old son starting his army training help! 15th Aug 08 at 9:12 PM
    My 16 year old son starts his army training in 2 weeks ,over 700 miles from home.
    Has anybody got any tips for him or any ideas what may be handy for him to take with him apart from the list the army gave him? Any tips would help.
    They said take about £50 in money any ideas if this is enough?
    I think I'm worrying because he will be so far from home. I won't be taking him to the camp like some of the other families of new starters.
    Should he take his possesions in a suitcase of a large holdall does it matter?

Thought it would help if I added that he is going to Winchester
    Last edited by loulou88; 22-08-2008 at 8:03 PM. Reason: adding text
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
Page 3
    • Sparky29
    • By Sparky29 20th Aug 08, 9:51 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Sparky29
    Flip flops are a definite not just for the hygiene issue. Soft teenage feet will get blisters until their boots soften/ feet harden especially when they start doing boot runs. The best thing to help them heal is to allow air to get at them and not cover them with plasters/ zinc oxide tape 24/7.

Do not waste money on a head torch unless it has got a coloured filter. You will not be able to use it on any military exercise as white light shows up miles away and also ruins your night vision (won't be able to see at night after using it). You need something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-Tac-Tikka-Plus-Headtorch/dp/B0007Q3R3O

You might be able to get it cheaper - I haven't shopped around.
  • loulou88
    thankyou so much that is a real help
    great tip about the bank account.
    I have just told him under no circumstances must he change his banks account. He is going to use the one he has.
    kiwi polish ill have to get that this week thanks
    we will take the goggles out of the bag (less to carry)
    Good idea about the coathangers no point taking some then having to buy others.
    I'm sure training is hard. Is it to weed out all the ones that just don't have the staminar to be pushed to their limits? This is what he has wanted since he was 11 years old so I hope he will do well.
    Thanks for looking at this list your information is very very useful.
    I hope other starting have a look at this too.
    Thankyou so very much for taking your time to look at this and give me some very useful information Thankyou.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    thanks for the link that looks a great torch i will have a shop around see if its cheaper anywhere else. Maybe this one will be an early xmas pressie.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    I have made arrangement for him to stay at my sisters (his aunts) if he cant get all way home to us we live over 700 miles a few trains and a bus and a ferry away (would they pay for flights? well 2 flight one from London to Inverness one from Inverness to Stornoway)
    My sister lives half way between us and winchester in Lancashire so that wont take as long to get there. I dont want him spending all his leave travelling. I would prefer he comes home but not sure how it works yet.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 21st Aug 08, 1:23 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    BettiePage
    Cotton wool for spit and polishing shoes/boots. Hubby also uses a yellow duster.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • darrenrendell
    • By darrenrendell 21st Aug 08, 5:56 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    darrenrendell
    The list as given to us for winchester
    The Essentials

Documents
    passport (if held),
    passport photos x 4,
    National insurance card (if held),
    Nhs card,
    Bank account sort code. You birth must open a bank account before arriving.
    Marriage certificate (if married),
    Birth certificate of any children,
    Any civilian qualification certificates,
    Any legal orders relating to divorce, custody, change of name etc.,
    details of any future court cases,
    national record of achievement,
    most recent school report,
    gcse and other educational certificates,
    I took all these with me and used them, while doing phase 1 you also get extra educational qualifications and need the gcse certificates etc to prove what you can do and what you cant do. make sure he has a bank account open and take all his details with him so there is no problems when he comes to getting paid!!!
    clothing

smrt civilian clothes; shirt (with collar) tie, smart trousers (not jeans) lace up shoes (not trainers), get him to turn up in a suit or shirt and tie (first impressions count!!!)
    one or two sets of casual civiliam clothes for use out of work time,
    underwear for severn days,
    briefs for pt,
    socks x 4 pairs (socks to be worn with uniform and for pt will be issued to you),
    nightwear (you will be sharing a room),
    warm and waterproof outdoor coat, he will be issued some that he can use when he goes to wales on his adventure training, but i bought one from millets once i got my id card as they give military discount which made it cheap
    shower footwear such as flip flops, a must!!!

sports kit
    swimming trunks (not shorts), there was only 2 lads that wore trunks everyone else wore shorts plain navy ones
    rugby/football boots, shim pads and gum shield (if held), dont really need

General
    50 cash,
    wristwatch (waterproof), a cheap casio from argos (not a shiny one)
    an iron,
    combion padlock x 4 or 5, you will only need 4 as there is only 4 locker compartments i had 1 combination lock and used key locks for my other lockers keeping all my keys in my combination locker so i didnt have to carry keys around ( not sure where and when furey did his phase 1 i did mine at atr winchester leaving 5 months ago and i didnt get issued any???)
    boot cleaning kit, brushes x2 and black polish (not liquid), make sure that he takes lots of kiwi as the spar knows the recruits cant leave camp to start with so its quite expensive (so bulk buy)
    sewing kit in a case (black, whiteand khaki thread, needles and safety pins)dont really use these but best to have them just incase,
    pens, including black permanent maker, a must!!! dont want to be getting show parades because he hasnt named his kit!!! lol
    important addresses (home, next of kin),

wash kit/ personal
    razor, shaving foam/gel,
    shower gel/ soap,
    toothbrush and toothpaste,
    deodorant,
    towels x2 all a must he will get issued 2 military towels but i still havnt used mine as i folded them in my locker and never touched them ( little hint when having locker inspections wink wink)

AND YOU WONT NEED
    bed linen, blankets, pillows, duvet,

useful extras

sturdy coathangers (must be identical), dont take them get them there if needed but i was issued some?
    writinig paper, envelopes, stamps,
    small black torch (eg. maglite), dont really need untill he goes on exercise but wait till he gets his id card so he can get a good and cheap one from millets
    personal items (photos etc),
    mobile phone,
    swimming goggles,
    civilian sports kit, (of trainers, tracksuit,sweater, t-shirt, shorts etc. - two sets will be enough)

let me know what you think of the list
    9 days and hes off.[/quote]

just a little hint that might make it a little easier on your son like i said earlier about not using his issued towels if you get him an extra bar of soap and case, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving gel and razor neatly put them in his locker and never touch them he cant get picked up for not cleaning his razor or shaving gel can because he has never used hem lol i had the same stuff all the way through training. he doesn't want to be getting show parades, showing a clean razor then falling behind on his ironing!

Also he will get to come think its a long weekend after week 6 they pay for you transport to your home town i had a friend that went to ireland and one that went to germany and they had there flights and train tickets paid for.

Also i really enjoyed myself while at winchester i have made new friends for life and im sure your son will too they have really good training teams down there tell him to listen to what they have to say as they know what they are talking about, he will get shouted at and will feel like nobody wants him to pass his training etc but they knock you down and build you back up again and it works makes everyone pull together and work as a team.
  • loulou88
    that is very helpful thanks
    He was worried about wearing the speedos (trunks) he feels better he wont have to but told him to take his speedos and swimming shorts black just in case.
    Coat hangers off hte list thanks 4 that.
    great possitive tip about being shouted at will let him read this so he understands why they shout.
    Im so glad you answered me thankyou so much.
    8 days to go before he leaves now.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    cooton wool
    Cotton wool for spit and polishing shoes/boots. Hubby also uses a yellow duster.
    Originally posted by BettiePage
    great tip thanks not heard that one before will pop some in his bag and a few yellow dusters.
    thankyou
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 22nd Aug 08, 12:00 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    BettiePage
    He'll only need one duster.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • silkyuk9
    • By silkyuk9 22nd Aug 08, 5:56 PM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    silkyuk9
    My 16 year old son starts his army training in 2 weeks ,over 700 miles from home.
    Has anybody got any tips for him or any ideas what may be handy for him to take with him apart from the list the army gave him? Any tips would help.
    They said take about 50 in money any ideas if this is enough?
    I think I'm worrying because he will be so far from home. I won't be taking him to the camp like some of the other families of new starters.
    Should he take his possesions in a suitcase of a large holdall does it matter?
    Originally posted by loulou88
    where is he going, if its Harrogate we can tell you all you want to know
  • loulou88
    where is he going, if its Harrogate we can tell you all you want to know
    Originally posted by silkyuk9
    Winchester
    Thankyou
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    have you checked all different train fares/discounts possible coz that sounds alot

and good luck to the boy
    Originally posted by niccy
    Not yet because I have not been given date for his passing out parade that is only time I can save up to go I hope I can.
    I will check a few and post on here to see if anyone can get cheaper when I know dates of passing out parade.
    thanks
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
    • darrenrendell
    • By darrenrendell 24th Aug 08, 6:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    darrenrendell
    when you find out his passing out date DONT go out and book tickets etc as alot of people get "back trooped" for different reasons (im not saying your son will!) one lad out of my troop got back trooped on our pass out week when i was there! you are proberly best looking at prices nearer the time and booking them the week of his pass out??? hope that makes sense!?!
  • loulou88
    just wanted to say a great big thankyou, to all who have helped me get ready for my sons departure to the army.
    We have now got all his "list " of items needed and he is leaving in 2 days.

The thing that is worying him most of all is having to go on the london underground. Hes never been to london.
    Luckly another soldier to be, lad will be travelling with him.
    Two 16 year olds, well this will be a test of their map reading and following instruction skills. lol
    Thanks all
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • charlie_r
    allso when they di the first set of training they do hygeine ive been told the army officer does top to to toe training so tell your son in advance the trainer strips show proper cleaning of feet legs anus penis etc etc so just tell him to not laugh at the time (dont know where my friend was based btw)
  • Cat695
    Lou

I know your son is off very soon....so i wish YOU all the best in coping with worrying!! hehe

I want you to think on the posivtive side....your son becomes a man...earning his own wage with lots of REAL friends and a career!!

From your point of veiw you now have that little bit more freedom...just think no more snotty (Kev and perry come to mind) 16 yro giving you hassle and giving you more washing up/ironing to do HEHE

But i do truely wish your son all the best and please please don't worry ok

Even as his mum you have become part of one of the strongest families in the world!
    Last edited by Cat695; 28-08-2008 at 6:36 AM.
    • adouglasmhor
    • By adouglasmhor 28th Aug 08, 6:28 AM
    • 14,571 Posts
    • 21,365 Thanks
    adouglasmhor
    he is going in the signals taining at winchester
    Good man we aren't called the clever corp for nothing.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cm
  • Cat695
    Good man we aren't called the clever corp for nothing.
    Originally posted by adouglasmhor

The Royal Signals called the clever corp?.....not even in the Army are they??
    • adouglasmhor
    • By adouglasmhor 28th Aug 08, 6:42 AM
    • 14,571 Posts
    • 21,365 Thanks
    adouglasmhor
    I have made arrangement for him to stay at my sisters (his aunts) if he cant get all way home to us we live over 700 miles a few trains and a bus and a ferry away (would they pay for flights? well 2 flight one from London to Inverness one from Inverness to Stornoway)
    My sister lives half way between us and winchester in Lancashire so that wont take as long to get there. I dont want him spending all his leave travelling. I would prefer he comes home but not sure how it works yet.
    Guys who lived in the far north of Scotland used to get an extra days traveling time. I hope it still stands. He might get flight warrants, the NI guys used to.

What trade is he - that's the first question scaleybacks ask each other when they meet.

http.thisisnotalink.cm
    • adouglasmhor
    • By adouglasmhor 28th Aug 08, 6:43 AM
    • 14,571 Posts
    • 21,365 Thanks
    adouglasmhor
    The Royal Signals called the clever corp?.....not even in the Army are they??
    Originally posted by Cat695
    I did my bit sonny

http.thisisnotalink.cm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

304Posts Today

2,914Users online

Martin's Twitter