Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    loulou88
    16 year old son starting his army training help!
    • 15th Aug 08, 9:12 PM
    16 year old son starting his army training help! 15th Aug 08 at 9:12 PM
    My 16 year old son starts his army training in 2 weeks ,over 700 miles from home.
    Has anybody got any tips for him or any ideas what may be handy for him to take with him apart from the list the army gave him? Any tips would help.
    They said take about £50 in money any ideas if this is enough?
    I think I'm worrying because he will be so far from home. I won't be taking him to the camp like some of the other families of new starters.
    Should he take his possesions in a suitcase of a large holdall does it matter?

Thought it would help if I added that he is going to Winchester
    Last edited by loulou88; 22-08-2008 at 8:03 PM. Reason: adding text
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
Page 2
    • cheepskate
    • By cheepskate 17th Aug 08, 1:01 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    cheepskate
    Any flights that he can get, I know the RAF pay for flights but don't know if the army do .
    Again for the RAF they get 8 warrants which is 4 return trips in the time they are there, about 6 months or so , would assume they are all the same, raf, navy ,army.
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 17th Aug 08, 12:02 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    BettiePage
    Hi

Our son joined the RAF just under 9 months ago.

Don't worry he will be fine, our son made his own way there, he felt ok about it, it was me that worried.
    I would give himt he 50.00 but take his bank details incase he needs any more, it can be put in the same day as he can take it out , if you do it over the counter

From what i can remember our son had to buy an iron and iron board, and we just put extra into his account .
    Originally posted by cheepskate
    Hubbys still got his original ironing board 21 years later. I've only recently replaced it, but he keeps it for if he's posted without us. Think it was a good investment, lol!
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 17th Aug 08, 12:07 PM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    BettiePage
    I'm a bit unsure about the 6 weeks coming home.
    He so far has been told he can only have a travel warrant home at xmas not the 6 weeks? Is this right I kno he will love to come home but it takes 2 days to get home and then 2 weeks to get back again is it worth it and how long is a long weekend?
    I have just been sent a web link to the army web showing the camp wow i'm impressed my son said "well smart" so thumbs up so far.
    Originally posted by loulou88
    Double check that. As he's 'only' 16, that seems a long time...?
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
  • loulou88
    wow
    Hubbys still got his original ironing board 21 years later. I've only recently replaced it, but he keeps it for if he's posted without us. Think it was a good investment, lol!
    Originally posted by BettiePage
    I think that realy was o good investment then.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    i will be checking that
    Double check that. As he's 'only' 16, that seems a long time...?
    Originally posted by BettiePage
    yes when he goes to take his oath a few days before he goes he will be asking if he can come home at 6 weeks and then also at xmas. I hope so I'm sure he will need it.
    thanks for everyone support on here it realy has made me feel better. Thanks any more tips let me know.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • pookienoodle
    Here is a link to Winchester army trainings bebo group.
    there are lots of people on there at the moment who ae looking to make friends with people going to Winchester at the same time as them.
    maybe your son could check it out.
    also lots of people who have already done the training so they can answer any questions for him.
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=6229901894
    • downs523
    • By downs523 17th Aug 08, 4:32 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    downs523
    its nearly always 6 weeks for when tey join, its to get them to be more independant and get into routine
  • pollyanna78
    I was reading ur post with a little tear in my eye my daughter is off to training next week and I am dreading it, as her training is in the south of england and we live in N. Ireland. Her dad is taking her over so that is a big weight of my mind, I feel for u having to let him do this on his own he must be a strong lad willing to go the extra mile to go to training good on him u should be really proud. They do get a warrant at 6 weeks so i hope this will ease ur mind abit. I hope everything goes well.
    • TomJ
    • By TomJ 18th Aug 08, 10:59 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    TomJ
    A decent pair of running shoes, as opposed to "fashion" trainers, is probably a good shout. I don't know how much the army does in boots, but I dare say there'll still be a fair bit in trainers and the Asics I took to initial training served me well. I got a 10% discount from the Up and Running shop in Sheen (nr Richmond) on a new pair of Brooks trainers a month or so ago; while they didn't have an official Forces discount they rean it through as a running club discount. You might try letting whichever shop you go to know what they're for and see if they'll give a discount.
    Last edited by TomJ; 19-08-2008 at 2:14 PM. Reason: Punctuation; ISS wasn't entirely wasted...
    I am not a financial advisor or other expert. All posts are purely my thoughts at the time for discussion, not advice. Bear in mind, even most of this disclaimer is ripped off another forum user. Please check out the facts first before doing anything.
  • savinglikemad
    hi my son went to Harrogate, he only completed 5 months as he felt the army way of life was not for him, but hey he tried, the staff are brill, and he really bonded with his room mates, he had to buy an ironing board there, so get him a good one to take up, a top class iron is well worth it, sounds stupid but big A4 sized reasealable bags (for training on moors etc, keeps all your stuff dry,) but if he needs it badly don't panic Argos can deliver to the barracks for a fiver, which when he broke his first iron within a week was a god send. Keep your chin up, they really do look after them well, and any problems phone them, they are there to keep you and him happy, It was hell the first few weeks and you feel so low, but when you see him pass out and hear all the things he has been doing, compare him to the local kids and you will be so proud, I wish my lad had stuck it, but as I say I have pride in the fact he tried.
  • Cat695
    To be honest guys i really wouln't waste your money on a ironing board....every 3 months the training team get 40+ new recruits each bringing their own ironing board......they NEVER take them when they move to phase 2

when i was a Cpl there i could have opened my own secondhand ironing board shop with the amount left behind (though i would take my own iron)
  • loulou88
    thanks
    I was reading ur post with a little tear in my eye my daughter is off to training next week and I am dreading it, as her training is in the south of england and we live in N. Ireland. Her dad is taking her over so that is a big weight of my mind, I feel for u having to let him do this on his own he must be a strong lad willing to go the extra mile to go to training good on him u should be really proud. They do get a warrant at 6 weeks so i hope this will ease ur mind abit. I hope everything goes well.
    Originally posted by pollyanna78
    Well yes you could say I am realy proud. I know how he is determined to do this so at least I know he wont drop out.
    It nice to hear from other parent that is also sending there "little one" off to train away from home.
    I am looking forward to seeing him all grown up. Its like sending my little boy away and getting a man back. I'm sure thay will learn so much. I do hope your daughter does well and sure she will be fine too. Good luck
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    A decent pair of running shoes as opposed to "fashion" trainers is probably a good shout. I don't know how much the army does in boots, but I dare say there'll still be a fair bit in trainers and the Asics I took to initial training served me well. I got a 10% discount from the Up and Running shop in Sheen (nr Richmond) on a new pair of Brooks trainers a month or so ago; while they didn't have an official Forces discount they rean it through as a running club discount. You might try letting whichever shop you go to know what they're for and see if they'll give a discount.
    Originally posted by TomJ
    great tip thanks any discount will help I never thought to ask for one before.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    To be honest guys i really wouln't waste your money on a ironing board....every 3 months the training team get 40+ new recruits each bringing their own ironing board......they NEVER take them when they move to phase 2

when i was a Cpl there i could have opened my own secondhand ironing board shop with the amount left behind (though i would take my own iron)
    Originally posted by Cat695
    well an oroning board wont be going with my son. seven hundred and odd miles on a ferry a night in a b&b then 3 or 4 trains NO WAY. A bag will be enough for him to luck after on such a long journey alone. Thanks for the tip i'm sure it will be useful to some.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
    • kyh
    • By kyh 19th Aug 08, 2:10 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    kyh
    also don't forget to get him to apply for his military rail card and National Express used to do one for coaches as well so when he does get time off if he doesn't want to use a warrent he can get a discount on his travel
    • darrenrendell
    • By darrenrendell 19th Aug 08, 6:25 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    darrenrendell
    ive just recently been through training at atr winchester and your son will get issued "silver shadow" trainers and wont be allowed to wear his own during pt sessions its not untill he has finished all his training that he can wear his own trainers. The only time you can wear your "own" things is when you get to go into winchester on a weekend which he will have to wear a smart pair of shoes as we were not allowed to wear trainers (thats how it was 4 months ago) so rather than trainers get a smart pair of shoes that he can wear with a pair of jeans anything else that your not sure of just ask as like i said i have only just left there. And dont worry about your son the training teams that they have got there are excellent and will help your son if he struggles with anything.
  • Furey
    Has anybody got any tips for him or any ideas what may be handy for him to take with him apart from the list the army gave him? Any tips would help.
    DO NOT BUY ALL THE ITEMS ON THAT LIST

thats what everyone works out by the end of basic training. i dont know who wrote that list, but they couldnt have been associated with phase 1 training in any way. I spent 200 buying the items when i joined, so did everyone else in my platoon, only to find that the majority of the kit was locked in a cupboard for the duration of my training. all the instructors know about the stupidity of this list but wouldnt forward the problem up the chain of command. perhaps you could post up the list, people could probably tell you what he will really need. dont get trainers by the way, he wont be allowed to wear them anyway (issued silver shadows only).

now i could be wrong about the list as i went to pirbright, and it was a while ago, but not much changes in the army.

oh also if he has any outgoings please be aware that he will not get very much money during basic training. they give you pocket money in cash but i dont know what the hell they do with the rest. i went seriously overdrawn as i couldnt cover my loan payments.
  • loulou88
    thanks that is very helpful as we were just debating if to buy new trainers or not. He has a new pair of smart shoes as he has just been to a funeral so they will be fine. Did you enjoy yourself. Did you go home after 6 weeks on a long weekend or stay on camp?
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • loulou88
    DO NOT BUY ALL THE ITEMS ON THAT LIST

thats what everyone works out by the end of basic training. i dont know who wrote that list, but they couldnt have been associated with phase 1 training in any way. I spent 200 buying the items when i joined, so did everyone else in my platoon, only to find that the majority of the kit was locked in a cupboard for the duration of my training. all the instructors know about the stupidity of this list but wouldnt forward the problem up the chain of command. perhaps you could post up the list, people could probably tell you what he will really need. dont get trainers by the way, he wont be allowed to wear them anyway (issued silver shadows only).

now i could be wrong about the list as i went to pirbright, and it was a while ago, but not much changes in the army.

oh also if he has any outgoings please be aware that he will not get very much money during basic training. they give you pocket money in cash but i dont know what the hell they do with the rest. i went seriously overdrawn as i couldnt cover my loan payments.
    Originally posted by Furey
    Oh no! I have just spent a few hundred pounds on this list. I will be very p***ED OFF if they don't use this stuff as I am a single parent and only work 20 hours. I have realy struggled to get all this stuff.
    He has no loans or any other outgoings as he has only left school this year. So he is is going debt free hopefully he will stay that way.

The list as given to us for winchester
    The Essentials

Documents
    passport (if held),
    passport photos x 4,
    National insurance card (if held),
    Nhs card,
    Bank account sort code. You birth must open a bank account before arriving.
    Marriage certificate (if married),
    Birth certificate of any children,
    Any civilian qualification certificates,
    Any legal orders relating to divorce, custody, change of name etc.,
    details of any future court cases,
    national record of achievement,
    most recent school report,
    gcse and other educational certificates,

clothing

smrt civilian clothes; shirt (with collar) tie, smart trousers (not jeans) lace up shoes (not trainers),
    one or two sets of casual civiliam clothes for use out of work time,
    underwear for severn days,
    briefs for pt,
    socks x 4 pairs (socks to be worn with uniform and for pt will be issued to you),
    nightwear (you will be sharing a room),
    warm and waterproof outdoor coat,
    shower footwear such as flip flops,

sports kit
    swimming trunks (not shorts),
    rugby/football boots, shim pads and gum shield (if held),

General
    50 cash,
    wristwatch (waterproof),
    an iron,
    combion padlock x 4 or 5,
    boot cleaning kit, brushes x2 and black polish (not liquid),
    sewing kit in a case (black, whiteand khaki thread, needles and safety pins),
    pens, including black permanent maker,
    important addresses (home, next of kin),

wash kit/ personal
    razor, shaving foam/gel,
    shower gel/ soap,
    toothbrush and toothpaste,
    deodorant,
    towels x2

AND YOU WONT NEED
    bed linen, blankets, pillows, duvet,

useful extras

sturdy coathangers (must be identical),
    writinig paper, envelopes, stamps,
    small black torch (eg. maglite),
    personal items (photos etc),
    mobile phone,
    swimming goggles,
    civilian sports kit, (of trainers, tracksuit,sweater, t-shirt, shorts etc. - two sets will be enough)

let me know what you think of the list
    9 days and hes off.
    lots of small steps
    will get you a long way
    bsc 140
  • Furey
    Did you enjoy yourself. Did you go home after 6 weeks on a long weekend or stay on camp?
    np. oh yeah i went home alright, it was a massive relief to get out of camp. if he cant get home i'd suggest meeting him and spending a weekend in london or something. it would be a kick in the swadgers staying on camp!
    as to enjoying myself, well, its an experience that i wouldnt go through again put it that way!

Oh no! I have just spent a few hundred pounds on this list. I will be very p***ED OFF if they don't use this stuff as I am a single parent and only work 20 hours. I have realy struggled to get all this stuff. sorry to hear it, i'll have a look at the list for you
    He has no loans or any other outgoings as he has only left school this year. So he is is going debt free hopefully he will stay that way.good good, but us squaddies dont stay debt free for long unfortunately!

The list as given to us for winchester
    The Essentials

Documents
    passport (if held),
    passport photos x 4,
    National insurance card (if held),
    Nhs card,
    Bank account sort code. You birth must open a bank account before arriving.
    Marriage certificate (if married),
    Birth certificate of any children,
    Any civilian qualification certificates,
    Any legal orders relating to divorce, custody, change of name etc.,
    details of any future court cases,
    national record of achievement,
    most recent school report,
    gcse and other educational certificates,
    all ok, dont see why the school stuff would be required though. btw dont let RBS con him into an army account, they are total scumbags that prey on financialy uneducated soldiers during training

clothing

smrt civilian clothes; shirt (with collar) tie, smart trousers (not jeans) lace up shoes (not trainers), this kit is for the one or two days out, doesnt have to be too smart but the army has a thing against jeans for some bizzare reason. tbh most people turn up looking like scumbags and
    nothing is said

one or two sets of casual civiliam clothes for use out of work time,about right, you will wear issued tracksuits after hours anyway. make sure it's suitable for adventure training, ie. some tracky bottoms or something a bit sporty as well as a pair of normal jeans. take a pair of ordinary trainers to suppliment the smart shoes.

underwear for seven days,

briefs for pt,i'd just go commando

socks x 4 pairs (socks to be worn with uniform and for pt will be issued to
    you),

nightwear (you will be sharing a room), aka boxers

warm and waterproof outdoor coat,also for adventure training, so dont take a really nice jacket

shower footwear such as flip flops,these are esential- too many grotty feet in shared showers

sports kit
    swimming trunks (not shorts),thats rubbish, you wear issued shorts in the pool. possibly get some bermuda shorts for potential days out at the pool, and phase 2

rugby/football boots, shim pads and gum shield (if held),not needed. theres no time for football in phase 1!

General
    £50 cash,cashpoints are available

wristwatch (waterproof),essential

an iron, handy, but can be borrowed anyway

combion padlock x 4 or 5,one combi lock is fine, you get issued the rest

boot cleaning kit, brushes x2 and black polish (not liquid),KIWI BLACK POLISH NOTHING ELSE WILL DO!

sewing kit in a case (black, whiteand khaki thread, needles and safety pins),naffi on camp sell the best housewife kit tbh

pens, including black permanent maker,
    important addresses (home, next of kin),

wash kit/ personal
    razor, shaving foam/gel,
    shower gel/ soap,
    toothbrush and toothpaste,
    deodorant,
    towels x2 1x maximum as you get issued 2 towels anyway

AND YOU WONT NEED
    bed linen, blankets, pillows, duvet,

useful extras

sturdy coathangers (must be identical),dont buy them as some platoons make everyone buy identical coathangers from the naafi for the sake of uniformity

writinig paper, envelopes, stamps,for letters home. who writes letters home these days? dont bother!

small black torch (eg. maglite),get a petzl LED head torch if you can, they are amazing. mini maglites are ok for a tenner though most of the time you cant turn torches on unless they have a red filter so dont worry if he hasnt got one at this stage

personal items (photos etc),some 'old fashioned' developed photos of family/friends are really good for morale, mabee get a disposable camera now and he could snap his last days as a civvy?

mobile phone, top ups are available from naafi

swimming goggles,not required

civilian sports kit, (of trainers, tracksuit,sweater, t-shirt, shorts etc. - two sets will be enough)2 sets of regular civvys and one smart set will be more than enough, he wont need this additional sports kit. mabee throw in some casual shorts

let me know what you think of the list
    9 days and hes off.
    hope that helps a bit. good luck to him!
    Last edited by Furey; 20-08-2008 at 7:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

509Posts Today

3,779Users online

Martin's Twitter