Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bairn7
    • By bairn7 21st Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    • 548Posts
    • 164Thanks
    bairn7
    Tesco own brand best before dates
    • 21st Jan 19, 8:42 PM
    Tesco own brand best before dates 21st Jan 19 at 8:42 PM
    This must have been raised before, but I do my shopping normally on a Friday evening so like to pick out the longest dates to last me at least part-way through the next week.

I've noticed that Tesco own brand fruit and veg no longer has a 'best before' date. Instead there is just a numeric code. I assume that the highest code is the most recent, but it is pretty annoying.

I'm probably naive but I thought best before dates etc were required. Obviously not. Given tesco dates on fresh produce tend to be pretty short (a few days at best), I find this a bit underhand.

I'm sure others will disagree, but that is my vent for the day
Page 2
    • Gracie84
    • By Gracie84 24th Jan 19, 10:03 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Gracie84
    Do we know why they have actually done it yet? To cover up being useless or to stop food waste?
  • archived user
    Do we know why they have actually done it yet? To cover up being useless or to stop food waste?
    Originally posted by Gracie84
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44207480

whether you want to believe them or not to say that they are useless is just a silly bitter remark.
    • pingug
    • By pingug 24th Jan 19, 2:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    pingug
    Originally posted by Gracie84
    one thing Tesco arenít is useless, they are a very successful multi billion pound business who know exactly how to get people to spend money, it is a science, maybe a few apples to you but multiply it over the UK and we are talking big money, its partly PR and partly food waste although it is not Tesco who waste food it is us, Fruit is obvious when it is going off and keep it refrigerated and it will last weeks, it already has been stored for months with it in low temperatures and co2 to slow the ripening without oxygen, they rely on the shopper after that, loads of food will last way past its sell by date, the idea that they can time it so your food is ok one day and a death sentence the next is laughable, look how long even milk that is perishable lasts past its sell by date, remember years ago it was a few days now it is a few weeks if stored correctly, people think they are buying fresh when everything is full of all sorts of chemicals to keep it looking colourful and the correct consistency, there is big money in food, we all eat it
    • bairn7
    • By bairn7 28th Jan 19, 7:51 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    bairn7
    My issue is not judging the freshness at the time of purchase (I can do that). It's the likelihood that it will stay fresh for 4 or 5 days. It seems to be the norm with Tesco that 'fresh' produce will have a use by date of only a day or two. When did this become the norm?
    • steveo3002
    • By steveo3002 19th Nov 19, 9:35 AM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    steveo3002
    isnt there a way to figure out what the code means

if i have the option to buy some that area ready to throw away next day or have another weeks use i will choose the better ones , cant always feel things in the plastic tubs
    • gollum007
    • By gollum007 19th Nov 19, 10:37 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    gollum007
    Code is the day of the year the item was packed, nothing more complex than that.

The official spin is that it's because the products that these are printed on don't necessarily need a best before date, and / or may last considerably longer.
    • steveo3002
    • By steveo3002 19th Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    steveo3002
    oh really? simple as that ...so highest number = latest picked

thank you
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 20th Nov 19, 7:13 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I don’t worry too much about BB dates when buying fresh stuff. I go by how fresh it looks, feels and smells. It’s not uncommon to find things with later dates in worse condition than stuff that supposed to be older. Not surprising when you think of all the varieties, different suppliers, transport conditions etc. This week I’ve bought herbs and tomatoes with earlier dates because they were fresher.

If you’re choosing fresh stuff by the BB date you’re not necessarily getting the freshest stuff.
    Last edited by shortcrust; 20-11-2019 at 7:18 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 20th Nov 19, 8:02 PM
    • 35,371 Posts
    • 22,324 Thanks
    DCFC79
    isnt there a way to figure out what the code means

if i have the option to buy some that area ready to throw away next day or have another weeks use i will choose the better ones , cant always feel things in the plastic tubs
    Originally posted by steveo3002

10 months old
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 20th Nov 19, 8:15 PM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    nickcc
    I donít worry too much about BB dates when buying fresh stuff. I go by how fresh it looks, feels and smells. Itís not uncommon to find things with later dates in worse condition than stuff that supposed to be older. Not surprising when you think of all the varieties, different suppliers, transport conditions etc. This week Iíve bought herbs and tomatoes with earlier dates because they were fresher.

If youíre choosing fresh stuff by the BB date youíre not necessarily getting the freshest stuff.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Not sure how you can smell fruit and veg when it's prepacked. I shop at Tesco and have certainly found their fresh fruit and veg are usually inferior to Sainsbury's. I find that if you go for a lower tray (lifting the top tray up) the fruit and veg usually is fresher.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 20th Nov 19, 9:20 PM
    • 20,761 Posts
    • 12,859 Thanks
    dacouch
    10 months old
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    But still fresh and it does not have a best before date
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

2,007Users online

Martin's Twitter