Home heating controls

Apologies - this is a double post as I've posted in the "In my home" section as well before I saw this section. I hope that's okay, but if not, I'd ask the moderators delete whichever post they think is in the wrong place.....

Okay, so I've let all of the advances on home heating controls pass me by and I currently have a simple one channel controller (mounted under the stairs in the fuse box cupboard), with pins around a 24 hr clock dial for turning my heating on and off.
With having to reach into the box and inadvertently pushing in more pins and/or turning the dial so the clock is not accurate, we have reverted to simply reaching in and turning it on and off as we need it....
The issues with this though are:-
It gets turned on and forgotten about.
It's awkward to use.
There is little to no control - just on/off.

The temperature control is on the boiler in the garage. There are/were mechanical TRV's on a lot of the radiators in the house, but that's the extent of the controls - there is no zoning per se. Also the home heating must be on to heat the hot water in the cylinder (20+ years since it was installed).

I want to know what we can do to replace this controller that limits the amount of wiring etc. that is required. The controller currently in use simply plugs into a three pronged plug socket, and controls the heat (turns the boiler and pump on/off).
So what is available that can replace this and that we can control from outside the fuse box cupboard?

I've seen Hive but need to understand what I need to do to retrofit this to my system. This will give me basic control in that I can turn the heating on and off, and I can probably add a room thermostat to control the on/off functionality, so that's one option that will give me added functionality. If my understanding is incorrect and/or it adds even further functionality then please feel free to advise.

I guess I can add other functionalities through TRV's etc. but I think that's probably starting to get expensive. Also I'm not sure that the Hive system can do all of that too, or whether I need to look at other systems.

Sorry there's a lot of info above to take in, but any advice that can be provided would be gratefully received.
Cheers,
wotnoshoeseh

Comments

• btr30
    btr30 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I Hive or Nest type product would work best for you to give time and temperature control to your heating and hot water system.
    The sensor/display is wireless and communicates with the receiver which would be sited at your existing wiring centre or boiler. Time and temperature profiles can then be set and adjusted via display or tablet/smartphone.
    I would still suggest that TRVs to be fitted to allow individual temperature control in each room.
  • Thanks btr30.

I'm researching here as I type. With the systems that you have suggested, you mention using TRV's. Are you referring to the "dumb" type, or the type that will communicate with the Nest or Hive product?

Ideally with my lack of having any zoning originally provided in my system, I'd like to be able to introduce that, although to turn off the heat I daresay I'll need individual SMART TRV's on all radiators?
    I'd like to be able to use the system in the first instance and then as I go, maybe upgrade it to add zoning?
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • One other thing...today when my system is on the pump runs at all times. So if the thermostat actually turns the boiler off the pump continues to run - would these new controls compromise that ability?
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Apologies - this is a double post as I've posted in the "In my home" section as well before I saw this section.

This is the alternative fuels section (e.g. Oil, LPG, Wood etc). The main energy section may have been better.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Personally I wouldn't faff about with a Nest or similar unless you really want a toy to play with. A wireless programmable thermostat would do the job.
    The receiver unit get connected to the boiler and you can then put the termostat unit wherever you like in the house. They usually have the facility to adjust the temperature around six times a day on each of the seven days of the week if you so desire or if you are out all day five days of the week you can have a 5/2 programme where Sat/Sun is different to the the rest of the week.

They are relatively cheap, and dont need the internet or other stuff to drive them - like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT510RF-Wireless-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B072KL746L?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2 if you know what you are doing they are easy to install, if not then an electrician should be able to do it in a hour or so
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    matelodave wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't faff about with a Nest or similar unless you really want a toy to play with. A wireless programmable thermostat would do the job.

A simple two channel control would be more than sufficient and cost less than £50. Assuming the room thermostat isn't too far away, not much cabling would be required. This set up would give basic time and temperature control over the pump & boiler.

Add a thermostat on the hot water tank (and optionally, a zone valve), and you would no longer need to run the heating system when you just need a tank of hot water in the summer. Depending on where the tank is in relation to the (new) control and boiler, wiring could be fun...

Yes, wireless thermostats would save on the cost & upheaval of running cables around, but there is a considerable premium. In addition, there will be batteries that will need to be replaced on a regular basis if the thermostats need them - Some thermostats need a conveniently places socket to plug a mains adapter in to...
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The batteries on my (digistat) wireless thermostat last around 2 - 3 years.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    FreeBear wrote: »
    A simple two channel control would be more than sufficient and cost less than £50. Assuming the room thermostat isn't too far away, not much cabling would be required. This set up would give basic time and temperature control over the pump & boiler.

Add a thermostat on the hot water tank (and optionally, a zone valve), and you would no longer need to run the heating system when you just need a tank of hot water in the summer. Depending on where the tank is in relation to the (new) control and boiler, wiring could be fun...

Yes, wireless thermostats would save on the cost & upheaval of running cables around, but there is a considerable premium. In addition, there will be batteries that will need to be replaced on a regular basis if the thermostats need them - Some thermostats need a conveniently places socket to plug a mains adapter in to...

I'm guessing that you've not had a lot of experience with a wireless/programmable stat.

Yes the batteries have to be replaced - once every couple of years, takes about 30sec and costs whatever 2 x AA batteries will cost. (I've just done the eight in my bungalow - one for each room)

You can get one for just over £35 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a Nest or Hive. They don't need to be plugged in (although the receiver does have to be connected to the boiler or existing) programmer as would any other sort of controller (even a Nest or Hive)

I totally agree that a revision of the OP's heating controls would be more beneficial but would require an understanding of how his system is set up and might require plumbing work to fit a motorised valve as well as additional wiring for a tank stat etc. For that he'd need a plumber and electrician

However to sort out his requirement for a relatively simple upgrade and improve the controllability, then the wireless programmable stat is the way to go.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport