Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • KatF
    • By KatF 15th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Dementia finances and care
    • #1
    • 15th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    Dementia finances and care 15th Oct 19 at 1:58 PM
    Hi all,

    I'm hoping someone can offer some help. My mum (aged 72) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in June and has declined very rapidly. Luckily I have managed to sort out lasting power of attorney - she now lacks capacity. I'm still trying to navigate my way round the system and have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer. Mum lives on her own and has carers in three times a day to help with cooking/tidying/washing. I try and visit twice a week and get all of her shopping as she hardly goes out (she also suffers from severe depression and anxiety).

    - I've sorted out attendance allowance (lower rate) and mum's savings are above the threshold for now, so she pays for all of her care. Is there anything else that she is entitled to? I am going to apply for a relief in council tax when I have a spare moment.

    - My main aim is to keep my mum at home for as long as possible, partly because it's what she wants and partly because I'm worried that a big change will make her decline further (she has always been adamant that she doesn't want to sell her house to pay for care, but I don't think we will have a choice). I have no idea about care costs + does anyone know of rough costs for live-in carers (we live in outer London) compared to residential care costs? And if this is feasible, when her savings run out, will the council continue to pay for this or force her to move into a home?

    Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can advise.
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 15th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Oct 19, 7:48 PM
    Permanent home care i.e 24 hours a day will be more expensive than residential care and it won't be something a council would pay for so she will more than likely have to move into a home in which case she will have to pay for it until she has the minimum amount 18k AFAIK.
    Some difficult decision ahead for you i'm afraid.
    Dont blame me I voted Labour
    • KatF
    • By KatF 16th Oct 19, 10:44 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Oct 19, 10:44 AM
    • #3
    • 16th Oct 19, 10:44 AM
    Thank you. That is what I had assumed, but I am learning to question everything, just to be on the safe side!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 16th Oct 19, 12:24 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 4,680 Thanks
    • #4
    • 16th Oct 19, 12:24 PM
    • #4
    • 16th Oct 19, 12:24 PM
    Be wary of taking advice from social services. They either don't know the truth or are not averse to lying. Actually told a friend of mine that her father would have to sell their house to pay for a care home for his wife, leaving him & the friend homeless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,470Users online

Martin's Twitter