The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Sad to report that Border Biscuits has craftily reduced its butter sultana shortcakes packet from 150gms to 135gms. The new pack makes a big deal out of the 'reduced packaging' and 'same quality' but doesn't mention the significant reduction in quantity.

It always strikes me as a shame when one of the little companies, which I always prefer to support, adopts the same rotten tactics beloved by the giants of the food industry.

Have you written to give them your feedback in this issue?
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Have you written to give them your feedback in this issue?

I have not. With limited time, I elected to warn other users on here.

If I can find a few spare minutes, I might write and grumble but, frankly, I doubt such protests achieve anything once the accountants have made their decision.

Of course, a sensible company these days polices its reputation online very carefully, so it may be that a complaint on MSE would achieve more than a personal rebuke from a grumpy customer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Walkers Crisps in Poundland are in multipacks of FOUR instead of 6. So its cheaper to buy Walkers in supermarkets when they are £1.25 or less per pack of 6 - single or multibuy

Earlier this year, Walkers dropped 2 packs from their 12 multipack. Past couple of weeks,I have seen they are selling 12 again. I wonder why the change of heart as prices are the same?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Options
    Many items in pound type shops are specifically made for them in smaller packs. It's something else to be aware of.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The Cadbury dessert yoghurts eg with Daim etc are now 85g instead of 90g. The Pots of Joy have also shrunk from 280g to 260g (pack of four).
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not only are sizes shrinking the quality is also shrinking.

Have you noticed products like Fairy liquid are getting more and more diluted?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ariel laundry liquid also much thinner too. Mind you I,m always mean with the amount I put in machine and if an item is heavily soiled I usually soak it warm water overnight before washing which helps loosen the dirt.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »

I bought some Vanish spray the other day in Home Bargains. They don't usually sell small packs (unlike many £ shops) but this one is tiny compared with the one I'd just finished.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not a food product. Saw the packs of Carefree pantyliners have shrunk from 58 to 56
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »

Definitely. I use far too much of it as it is but it’s not like it used to be!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback