Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 23
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 29th Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    Regardless of how your D/D payment is ‘labelled’ it isn’t a payment to Symbio;...it’s a single transaction between your Bank and the 3rd party payment company,...and therein lies the problem.
    Originally posted by Biggus Dickus
    But there are numerous suppliers, usually the small ones, that use a direct debit collection agency such as CoCardless, and the banks include them.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 29th Sep 19, 9:22 AM
    • 21,605 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    molerat
    But there are numerous suppliers, usually the small ones, that use a direct debit collection agency such as CoCardless, and the banks include them.
    Originally posted by EnergyTwist
    And there is the problem. If it was a clear no third party agencies then fine but it is not actually the case.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 29th Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    Have NatWest resolved this now? As their website indicates they now pay cashback for Symbio Energy

• Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 29th Sep 19, 5:30 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Thanks for that. My 3 missing rewards payments have been yet again queried by myself. If symbio is listed as an eligible company I expect to be paid
    • ywlgy
    • By ywlgy 30th Sep 19, 3:19 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ywlgy
    Does anyone know when they will send the opening reading to the old supplier? My old supplier sent me a bill using the estimated reading on the switching day asked me to pay before 10th.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 30th Sep 19, 4:22 PM
    • 4,313 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Does anyone know the best time to submit meter readings to Symbio to ensure your bills are as accurate as possible?

Is it the end of each month or linked to your billing date?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 30th Sep 19, 5:51 PM
    • 21,605 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    molerat
    Does anyone know the best time to submit meter readings to Symbio to ensure your bills are as accurate as possible?

Originally posted by gt94sss2
    The billing cycle is calendar monthly, first bill is switch date to end of month, so readings will be either last or first day of month. I submitted one today and will do again tomorrow and see how it pans out
    In accordance with the tariff conditions, you will receive a bill within the next seven days for energy consumption between the effective date of your switch until the end of the calendar month. Your next bill will be in the first week of the proceeding calendar month for the following month’s energy consumption. We will take a direct debit equivalent to the monthly quote you provided to us on the website.
    Looking at my first bill they have used 1st as the reading date.
    Last edited by molerat; 30-09-2019 at 6:03 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 30th Sep 19, 6:11 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    matelodave
    The billing cycle is calendar monthly, first bill is switch date to end of month, so readings will be either last or first day of month. I submitted one today and will do again tomorrow and see how it pans out
    Originally posted by molerat
    I have sent in a reading today and they'll get another tomorrow - it'll probably confuse their system but I keep my own records so I'll know where I stand even if they dont.

Dunno what initial meter info (if any) they sent to Eversmart or if it was received or actioned before they went belly up. My last bill from Eversmart was a random guess based on energy that they reckon they supplied after I swapped to Symbio but before they died.

I'm guessing that I'll have a bit of sport in the future (hopefully not too distant) sorting out my final bill and recovering my credit although I'm not sure from whom, the receiver or Utilita because my swap date was 2nd Sept a week or so before the demise of Eversmart
    Last edited by matelodave; 30-09-2019 at 6:16 PM.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 1st Oct 19, 9:42 AM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    MABLE
    I gave them a read yesterday and one today. I also take a picture of the meter for them to see the readings themselves. I quite like the idea of their estimated figures up to the 1st of each month. I then challenge myself to stay below that and normally are approx 9.00 a month better off.

Any surplus is then put into my energy fund account and available to draw upon if the usage goes up.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 1st Oct 19, 9:51 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Talldave
    I gave them a read yesterday and one today. I also take a picture of the meter for them to see the readings themselves. I quite like the idea of their estimated figures up to the 1st of each month. I then challenge myself to stay below that and normally are approx 9.00 a month better off.

Any surplus is then put into my energy fund account and available to draw upon if the usage goes up.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Why the two consecutive days' readings? I'm a Symbio newbie so am interested to know how to play the game properly!
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 1st Oct 19, 11:07 AM
    • 3,908 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    MABLE
    Why the two consecutive days' readings? I'm a Symbio newbie so am interested to know how to play the game properly!
    Originally posted by Talldave
    I am not entirely sure when the cycle ends whether its the last day or first day of the month. Hence the reason for the two readings.
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 1st Oct 19, 12:16 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    Symbio seems to have oddly chosen their billing periods so that they end on 1st of the month, and the next starts on the 2nd.

But then Symbio seems a rather odd sort of supplier, in more ways than one.

I feel sure if you submit them on the last day of the month, the estimate they use for the 1st of the following won't be too far out.

Don't they have a peculiar and complicated billing system anyway, based on estimated consumption, but any estimation is effectively corrected in the next month?
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 1st Oct 19, 12:22 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist

Originally posted by gt94sss2
    To have an accurate bill from any supplier, you have to provide them with a meter reading for the last day that bill applies to.

I've been redaing lots of issues because people don't provide their meter redaing on that exact day, but one within 5 days either side (as they are often advised to do within the email reminder) and then wonder why their supplier has estimated the reading for the last day of the bill.

But I think I read Symbio have a wierd and peculiar billing system where they estimate what you will use in a months time, and bill you according to that estimate, and then somehow try and correct it later when they have your actual meter reading (or one they can estimate from close to the end of the billing period) so they can be more accurate.
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 1st Oct 19, 12:48 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Gerry1
    To have an accurate bill from any supplier, you have to provide them with a meter reading for the last day that bill applies to.
    Not necessarily. The better ones will generate a bill immediately upon receipt of a meter reading. This really should be standard practice, it's hardly rocket science.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Oct 19, 2:30 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Symbio will actually correct the estimated bill up to the 5th of the month. I give them one reading on last day of month and one on 5th. They always compensate for the over estimation using my 5th of month reading.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 1st Oct 19, 2:37 PM
    • 21,605 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    molerat
    Not necessarily. The better ones will generate a bill immediately upon receipt of a meter reading. This really should be standard practice, it's hardly rocket science.
    Originally posted by Gerry1
    Define better

Some have billing periods and will only generate a bill to that date by estimating if necessary and others will generate a bill on supply of a reading. EDF for instance will only generate a regular bill every 3 months but will also generate a bill when a reading is supplied at not less than 28days from the previous.
    • EnergyTwist
    • By EnergyTwist 1st Oct 19, 3:10 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    EnergyTwist
    So the bill they then issue with that meter reading on will not be up to the same date as you provided the meter reading???

And you call them the better ones???

I guess it will all depend on how one defines 'better', but it doesn't match my definition.

And that compared to Symbio who I have already declared (imho) "have a wierd and peculiar billing system"
    Last edited by EnergyTwist; 01-10-2019 at 3:17 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 1st Oct 19, 3:36 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,091 Thanks
    matelodave
    Eversmart were pretty good, I gave them a reading on the billing day (in my case 6th of the month) and the resulting bill two or three days later was spot on. I've got a full set of monthly bills and they are all OK except the last one, because I left them on 2nd Sept but they billed up to 6th.

The bill has readings for the 2nd (which is the same as the start reading that I gave Symbio on the same date) and their guess for some usage up to 6th.
    Unfortunately they went belly up on 11th so I'm waiting for an accurate final bill from whoever is tasked to produce it.

I wait with keen anticipation to see how the strange Symbio system pans out but I shall be on their case if it goes awry.
    Last edited by matelodave; 01-10-2019 at 3:38 PM.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Gerry1
    • By Gerry1 1st Oct 19, 3:49 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Gerry1
    So the bill they then issue with that meter reading on will not be up to the same date as you provided the meter reading???

And you call them the better ones???

I guess it will all depend on how one defines 'better', but it doesn't match my definition.
    I sent Yorkshire a meter reading soon after midnight on 20 September. A few minutes later I received an email saying 'Please read your meter within the next five days'. Just to make sure, I sent another reading on 23 September.

Within a few minutes a statement arrived dated 23 September. It could hardly have been clearer: it showed 29 days from 22 Aug to 19 Sep and then 4 days from 20 Sep to 23 Sep. All readings were shown and were accurate, it was logically laid out starting with the previous balance (clearly shown as 'Credit', not a confusing minus sign, ditto with the E7 readings shown as Day (DY) and Night (NT)).

It really doesn't get much better than that: it's the gold standard to which Symbio and all the others should aspire.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Oct 19, 5:01 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I quite agree

It really doesn't get much better than that: it's the gold standard to which Symbio and all the others should aspire.
    I quite agree - I'm with Yorkshire Energy as well. Simple clear billing, straightforward website with nothing fancy.

I submit one reading a month on the 23rd and a short while later (probably less than an hour) a bill is available to view online and download as a PDF.

That's the way to do it (as Mr Punch says!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,133Posts Today

6,758Users online

Martin's Twitter