Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 22
    • Floretti
    • By Floretti 17th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Floretti
    Well - I've transferred over to Symbio on an E10 meter

Originally posted by horatiog
    Good luck with that then

HOWEVER - the Smart Energy Club alert function is now useless to me...
    Do you mean the MSE Chaep Energy Club?
    If so, it always was useless to you as it does not cater for those with E10 or other complex metering.

I have an Economy 9 or Economy 10 meter - can I compare?

Those with Economy 9 or Economy 10 meters aren't well catered for, as suppliers don't make it easy to get the right information. You can't currently compare on any comparison site. ...

Last edited by Floretti; 17-09-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    • rags58
    • By rags58 17th Sep 19, 11:06 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rags58
    You seem very upset about something you're not totally certain about? Either you have a record of readings submitted or you don't. If you don't then you don't have a case. Always photograph meter readings - most phones incorporate the date and time in the photo's filename as well as in embedded metadata- it's good evidence to help resolve any arguments.
    Originally posted by Talldave
    I am giving details of my experience transferring from one supplier to another and how the process went. that's all! My experience is something went wrong, errors were made and trying to resolve it seems difficult. Whether I should have recorded the meter reading is a fair point and something I will consider in any future transfer. It still doesn't change the fact that I have been charged twice for the same period and I think most reasonable people/companies would consider that unfair
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Sep 19, 12:37 PM
    • 21,648 Posts
    • 15,875 Thanks
    molerat
    Well - I've transferred over to Symbio on an E10 meter and there wasn't even a suggestion I would have to swap to a Smart Meter.
    Some companies will put you on their E7 tariff with no problems........... or when they realise you are E10 it will all go horribly wrong.

HOWEVER - the Smart Energy Club alert function is now useless to me as the SYmbio tariffs are not available in the selection, so I cannot set up my account to the tariff I am currently on. Have grumbled about this before but nobody has added them - Grrr!
    CEC have said they will do it if Symbio give them the data, another massive failing by OFGEM in their supposed making things fair and transparent.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Benight
    • By Benight 17th Sep 19, 12:59 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    Some companies will put you on their E7 tariff and/or when they realise you are E10 it will all go horribly wrong.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I corrected that for you

I understand the Symbio application process requires you to input your MPAN (and your DD details for that matter) so it seems like it already has gone horribly wrong for at least one MSEer, who it seems has only mustered 3 posts in almost 10 years.

CEC have said they will do it if Symbio give them the data, another massive failing by OFGEM in their supposed making things fair and transparent.
    Where have they said that?

A previous post, by the board guide no less, indicated the official response from MSE was that even if they do receive the information from a small supplier (and they may well have done, as Symbio seem to be on many other comparison sites) MSE cannot handle the workload of all these small suppliers enetering the market with their numerous and frequently changing tariffs.

As MSE presumably would not be being paid for displaying this info, then there is no economical reason for them to concentrate on putting this info up, especially as they seem to be one of the cheaper suppliers, so potentially distracting MSE users from going for a supplier & tariff MSE wouldl get paid for switching the user to.
    Last edited by Benight; 17-09-2019 at 1:01 PM.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 17th Sep 19, 7:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    tk47
    Checked this am and if by magic the historical reads have now appeared online.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Yes, they are back!
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 17th Sep 19, 9:35 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Talldave
    I find it brain numbing that they send every reading to the "answerable to nobody" industry body that screws with meter readings.

Their emails imply it adds over a week's delay to them accepting a reading. What do they use to invent their estimates? And why would they be more valid than an actual meter reading that'll probably be given the OK 7 days later?
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 18th Sep 19, 9:03 AM
    • 10,862 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    GunJack
    I find it brain numbing that they send every reading to the "answerable to nobody" industry body that screws with meter readings.

Their emails imply it adds over a week's delay to them accepting a reading. What do they use to invent their estimates? And why would they be more valid than an actual meter reading that'll probably be given the OK 7 days later?
    Originally posted by Talldave
    Couldn't agree more - the "independent industry body" should be worthy of it's own thread...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 18th Sep 19, 9:19 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Talldave
    Couldn't agree more - the "independent industry body" should be worthy of it's own thread...
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Out of interest, does it cost Symbio to have each reading "validated"? Or do all suppliers just pay a flat rate "tax" to fund it?
    • Andrew1974
    • By Andrew1974 19th Sep 19, 6:18 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Andrew1974
    What bothers me is that someone can sit there and say a member has only made 3 comments in 10 years. It is nothing short of rude. It is actually a form of cyber bullying as well. And I am sick to the back teeth of it.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 19th Sep 19, 9:21 AM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    MABLE
    What bothers me is that someone can sit there and say a member has only made 3 comments in 10 years. It is nothing short of rude. It is actually a form of cyber bullying as well. And I am sick to the back teeth of it.
    Originally posted by Andrew1974
    Who is the someone. A little confused by your post.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 19th Sep 19, 9:54 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Talldave
    Originally posted by Andrew1974
    As a target of such behaviour, I agree. Sadly MSE don't agree. It's behaviour that seems to be repeated on a daily basis from a plethora of well informed, but unnecessary condescending, newbie accounts.

Who is the someone. A little confused by your post.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    See post #424.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Sep 19, 6:22 PM
    • 21,648 Posts
    • 15,875 Thanks
    molerat
    re my Santander complaint
    Received the same letter today. I have now raised a formal complaint as they are already paying cashback on my two current suppliers that use third party billing.
    After a few to-ing and fro-ing secure messages arguing the toss over third party billing today I received a phone call from Santander cs. The actual reason they do not give cashback is because Symbio use a shared OIN with the third party biller, if they used an individual OIN, which is a more expensive contract, they would pay the cashback. The outcome of this, because they did not answer my query adequately in the first instance, is that they will pay me £25 to compensate me for the lost cashback for the year (my monthly cash back would be 81p !) and £25 goodwill (and the money was in my bank account 10 minutes after hanging up).
    Last edited by molerat; 23-09-2019 at 6:24 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • griffb
    • By griffb 23rd Sep 19, 6:59 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    griffb
    . The actual reason they do not give cashback is because Symbio use a shared OIN with the third party biller, if they used an individual OIN, which is a more expensive contract, they would pay the cashback.
    I assume that is the same excuse I received from NatWest:
    As the direct debit is made via a 3rd party (GoCardless) we are unable to identify which payments paid to GoCardless are specifically for Symbio Energy
    I have pointed out to them that I can easily identify them, as my statement says "Symbio Energy"
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 23rd Sep 19, 8:33 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm getting nowhere with my persistent emails to natwest either. It's a poor excuse for not paying cashback
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 23rd Sep 19, 9:38 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Talldave
    I'm getting nowhere with my persistent emails to natwest either. It's a poor excuse for not paying cashback
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    Surely they're on dodgy ground if they haven't made it clear in adverts that they exclude 3rd party payment organisations? Is it worth raising with one or more of ASA, financial ombudsman or trading standards?
    • Benight
    • By Benight 24th Sep 19, 9:08 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Benight
    re my Santander complaintAfter a few to-ing and fro-ing secure messages arguing the toss over third party billing today I received a phone call from Santander cs. The actual reason they do not give cashback is because Symbio use a shared OIN with the third party biller, if they used an individual OIN, which is a more expensive contract, they would pay the cashback. The outcome of this, because they did not answer my query adequately in the first instance, is that they will pay me £25 to compensate me for the lost cashback for the year (my monthly cash back would be 81p !) and £25 goodwill (and the money was in my bank account 10 minutes after hanging up).
    That is incorrect.

To start with, the Direct Debit System no longer even refers to OIN (Originator Identification Number), but now refers to SUN (Service User Number)

Secondly, GoCardless offer 3 levels of service offering.

i.e.
    Standard - this charges a simple percentage on each transaction, and shares the GoCardless SUN

Plus - this charges a simple percentage on each transaction, plus a monthly fee

Pro - this charges volume based charging on each transaction, plus a monthly fee (higher monthly fee than Plus)

Obviously there are other various benefits based on the particular service level procurred that I won't go into here, but both Plus and Pro gives the service user their own SUN (i.e. does not share it with GoCardless)

Only those who have opted for Plus or Pro (i.e. those with their own SUN) appear on bank statements under their own name, as Symbio do.

By contrast, those on the Standard level of service would be displayed as 'GoCardless Ltd. Ref: Business Name'
    Last edited by Benight; 24-09-2019 at 9:12 AM.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 24th Sep 19, 2:16 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    I guess itís a little disappointing for you as a NatWest customer but itís an understandable and some may say justifiable response from NatWest.

Their payment system isn't capable of automatically identifying your D/D as a payment to Symbio;...it sees a payment that's routed directly to a 3rd party company,..and thatís as far as it goes.

It would take significant changes to their payment systems for it to be any other way,...and banks hate spending money on their computer systems.

They only do it if;

ē It suits THEM!
    or
    ē TheyĎre forced to make changes due to legislation.

Iím a NatWest Reward account customer too,...and Iím seriously considering a switch to Symbio in the very near future but it seems Iíll need to forgo the £13 NatWest rewards that my present leccy bill has generated in the last 12 months.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 25th Sep 19, 9:22 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Tafrock
    So a monthly payment that appears simply labelled symbio energy from my current account cannot be identified by natwest as a payment to symbio energy. Go figure??
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 28th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    nic_c
    I have checked my emails and the meter reading I gave on the 17th was not recorded on the e-mail. All I have is Symbio acknowledging my opening meter reading and stating it would be processed and validated. If I was to hazard a guess or make an assumption I would say the figure I gave Symbio was the same figure Octopus used as my final reading.
    I know roughly how many units I use in a day and Octopus issued a bill to the 30/6/19 based on a reading I gave at the end of June.
    A simple calculation for 1st-17th July takes me almost to the same figure Octopus have, so its a fair assumption that's the figure I gave to Symbio.
    Originally posted by rags58
    So you gave the same reading to both companies? That's your issue, the new company will verify the figures with the independent body who will use typical use figures. Normally they will give these to your old supplier who use them for the final bill, this ensures you are not paying for the same energy use twice as they both use the same verified reading.
    You have two options, (1) get your new supplier to reverify the figure and see if they will use that, or (2) contact your old supplier to get them to verify if they have received readings from your new supplier and issue a revised final bill based on those.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 28th Sep 19, 1:09 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    So a monthly payment that appears simply labelled symbio energy from my current account cannot be identified by natwest as a payment to symbio energy. Go figure??
    Regardless of how your D/D payment is Ďlabelledí it isnít a payment to Symbio;...itís a single transaction between your Bank and the 3rd party payment company,...and therein lies the problem.

Frustrating for customers (me included) but the chances of the Banks making changes to their payment/Reward systems that would circumvent this anomaly are remote to say the least,...imho of course.
    Last edited by Biggus Dickus; 28-09-2019 at 1:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,739Posts Today

6,510Users online

Martin's Twitter