Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 14th Aug 19, 9:51 AM
    • 331Posts
    • 74Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Commuter rail fares to increase by up to 2.8% next year - MSE News
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:51 AM
    Commuter rail fares to increase by up to 2.8% next year - MSE News 14th Aug 19 at 9:51 AM
    Commuters across Great Britain will see train season ticket costs rise by up to 2.8% from next year...
    Read the full story:
    'Commuter rail fares to increase by up to 2.8% next year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 14th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    If more people lived in the same town as they work then there would be no price rise to worry about and it would also cut down on the amount of fuel burned adding to greenhouse gasses.

but what do I know, I am but a simple dog
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 14th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    • 14th Aug 19, 10:22 AM
    If more people lived in the same town as they work then there would be no price rise to worry about and it would also cut down on the amount of fuel burned adding to greenhouse gasses.

Originally posted by duncanthedog
    Not that simple, rents/mortgages in many areas like that are more expensive. That and it relies on if you ever lost job you would have to move each time.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Aug 19, 12:09 PM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 13,752 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:09 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:09 PM

I’m sure loads (millions) of people would prefer not to commute.
    House prices (and rents) in London are very expensive and that’s why people live further out.
    The same is true to a lesser extent of many cities.

It’s easy to just say “move north” but not so easy if yOu’re an oxbridge professor, Qc or hedge fund manager or even a London bus driver married to a nurse who can’t find driving and nursing vacancies in the same town.

I’m sure millions would do it if it was that easy.
    DH spent a year looking for work locally before moving, so I don’t think its something people take lightly.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 14th Aug 19, 12:17 PM
    • 8,353 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    martindow
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:17 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 12:17 PM

As a dog you should think yourself lucky that your owners are not as environmentally aware as you! Children are at risk too according to this article.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jun/12/cut-out-meat-pets-and-kids-to-save-the-earth
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 14th Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 5,142 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    • 14th Aug 19, 8:26 PM
    II feel a bit of a suck it up, it's happening, it's the going rate.

Fr example on the Home Buying, Renting and and Selling board, someone posts landlord is increasing the rent by £30-£50 a month, some will say well if that's the going rate then tough luck pay it. This is no different.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 15th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    • 25,566 Posts
    • 13,752 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 15th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    • 15th Aug 19, 3:35 PM
    II feel a bit of a suck it up, it's happening, it's the going rate.

Fr example on the Home Buying, Renting and and Selling board, someone posts landlord is increasing the rent by £30-£50 a month, some will say well if that's the going rate then tough luck pay it. This is no different.
    Originally posted by Marvel1
    Usually but not always.
    If my landlord wanted to up the rent, id look around at the alternatives.
    I might come to the conclusion that I have to suck it up, but it could also be a trigger to change something.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,072Posts Today

5,182Users online

Martin's Twitter