The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Well I mentioned Kelloggs in a previous post; they've shrunk Cornflakes but their Crunchy Nut products are still the same price, for now, and have increased in volume.

As for Mondelez, not do Mini Eggs taste completely different, they've shrunk those too!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    I stopped buying Green & Blacks when Cadburys bought them, it never seemed to taste the same. (Probably mind over matter)

Still at least 5 flavours in 100g though https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=Green%20and%20blacks%20100g
    I long ago stopped buying anything cadburys. They were one of the first and are also one of the most prolific of the shrinkflationers.
  • lassfarfromhome
    Options
    Ok, not strictly a shrinking food issue, but misleading packaging. I bought some Eat natural bars from waitrose. When I opened the box (the width of a normal size box) I discovered that they were "snack bar size" and that 1.5in of the width of the box was very expensive air. Nowhere on an unopened package did the words "snack bar" appear although it's true that in small writing at the top of the box it said 4 x 33g. So I suppose if I had memorised the weight of a normal bar, I would have realised these are smaller. I'm so sick of this sh*t. Won't be buying anything from Eat Natural again. Grrr. Can one complain about misleading packaging to an industry watchdog at all?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have a feeling it's common thing amongst manufacturers; can't for the life of me recall who the offender was but for some time their packaging for the chocolate bar was the size of the previous weight. The 'on average' weight was correct on the bars itself but you could tell they were using the old packaging to clear it through.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • the.weekender
    Options
    We love Muller Light yogurts but in their greed to make more money the company have reduced the size of the yogurts from 175g to 160 g.

I hate it when companies move the goalposts, however, I doubt if there is an equal alternative product at 175gms is there?
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could always make your own it’s not really difficult.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 May 2019 at 9:37AM
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    You could always make your own it’s not really difficult.
    I second this. I make my own, full fat not "light" but it really is easy once you get going

I make it in approx 140ml size, getting 7 from 1 litre of full fat milk, works out around 8p a pot in my case. Obvs depends on cost of milk
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Probably a!ready mentioned but double deckers are half the size they used to be and yorkies have shrunk massively and has one !ess chunk.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Matty36 wrote: »
    Probably a!ready mentioned but double deckers are half the size they used to be and yorkies have shrunk massively and has one !ess chunk.
    I happen to think this shrinkage is for the greater good. The fact that prices for single bars are so ridiculously high means that chocolate is a rare purchase for me now.

If only they would do the same thing with biscuits :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sad to report that Border Biscuits has craftily reduced its butter sultana shortcakes packet from 150gms to 135gms. The new pack makes a big deal out of the 'reduced packaging' and 'same quality' but doesn't mention the significant reduction in quantity.

It always strikes me as a shame when one of the little companies, which I always prefer to support, adopts the same rotten tactics beloved by the giants of the food industry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback