Bike got stolen, tried to make a claim and had my policy voided . Appreciate advice

Options

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP you gave dishonest information, whether on purpose or not does not matter, you gave false answers, therefore your policy was cancelled

How much you paid for the policy is again irrelevant and whether this changed the price retrospectively without an immobiliser is irrelevant.

Why should honest drivers/riders be paying the premiums they deserve when people like the OP have falsified data?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Polioz
    Polioz Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I am actually quite surprised with some of the responses here.

It seems the thread has turned into a place where people are venting their frustrations onto others .

Accidents and misunderstandings happen , I hope some of you are not in the same position and treated with the same disdane as me , rather people show some level of empathy towards you.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Polioz wrote: »
    I am actually quite surprised with some of the responses here.

It seems the thread has turned into a place where people are venting their frustrations onto others .

Accidents and misunderstandings happen , I hope some of you are not in the same position and treated with the same disdane as me , rather people show some level of empathy towards you.

This is why MSE forums can be a rough area, people seem to pile in with holier than thou attitudes which honestly don't help.

FWIW I would raise a complaint with the insurers as it would seem that you have inadvertently misled them and they haven't treated you fairly. If they won't change anything then when a final decision is made I would go to the Financial Ombudsman , which will cost you nothing. Have a look at their example cases

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/cancelling-renewing-car-insurance-case-studies.html#a

Good Luck
  • oscarward
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    OP you gave dishonest information, whether on purpose or not does not matter, you gave false answers, therefore your policy was cancelled

Without wishing to get in to a internet argument you are being very black and white.

Try this scenario, I'm going on holiday and forget to renew my car insurance in the rush of getting everything ready.

I remember on holiday and try to get new cover as the car is in a long stay car park at an airport back in the UK. No internet access so done by phone (at international rates!). I know I had a speeding conviction a few years ago but can't remember the exact date.

So I guess the date get insurance and enjoy the rest of my holiday and on my return discover my insurance is voided because I was a few months out on the date of offence.

Would you still say I had supplied dishonest information and false answers?
  • Polioz
    Polioz Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Oscsrward, these are the kind of helpful replies I was hoping for . Much appreciated I will have a look into this!
  • oscarward
    Options
    Thanks Oscsrward, these are the kind of helpful replies I was hoping for . Much appreciated I will have a look into this!

My opinion (and someone will be along soon to tell me I'm wrong I'm sure!) is that you should push the angle of Inadvertent Misleading and the fact of insurers would have still have accepted the risk if they had known, at no cost difference.

The FOS seem to side with the little guy in cases like that and on the face of it you have a real grievance.

Please let us know how you get on, nothing more frustrating when people come here for advice and never come back.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 11:15AM
    Options
    It seems you have misunderstood me Quentin.

I didn't play around with my policy ......

I was actually shocked at how much I had to pay and played around with quotes

.....I still wasn't sure what it was and vaguely remember playing around with it and not having the premium change at all if by a few quid.

No.

You have misunderstood my post.

I didn't say you had "played around" with your policy!

I said that you looked to have "played round" with your quotes - which was what you told us!

You played around with the quote and got "a few quid" difference!

Quentin wrote: »
    You look to have fallen foul of their strict policy regarding fraudulent applications by playing round with your quotes to find the scenario that gave you a cheaper policy!
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    No.

You have misunderstood my post.

I didn't say you had "played around" with your policy!

I said that you looked to have "played round" with your quotes - which was what you told us!

OP didn't say that at all.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 August 2018 at 11:00AM
    Options
    oscarward wrote: »
    Without wishing to get in to a internet argument you are being very black and white.

Try this scenario, I'm going on holiday and forget to renew my car insurance in the rush of getting everything ready.

I remember on holiday and try to get new cover as the car is in a long stay car park at an airport back in the UK. No internet access so done by phone (at international rates!). I know I had a speeding conviction a few years ago but can't remember the exact date.

So I guess the date get insurance and enjoy the rest of my holiday and on my return discover my insurance is voided because I was a few months out on the date of offence.

Would you still say I had supplied dishonest information and false answers?

The question isn't what is reasonable or being right or wrong, but what the insurers think and does. Whether you did it on purpose, the insurers doesn't care, all they have to go on is your driving history and incorrect data when they match it to the their own database.

You can of course complain and then take it to the ombudsman. But the questions asked does not say roughly or estimate but exact dates when you fill in the insurance quotation.

Hence you agreed to the terms and conditions when you paid for the insurance.

But back to the OP, if the OP was not sure what an immobiliser was in reference to, they could have asked instead of assuming and now ended with a void policy which will affect their insurability and premiums in future.

wrong information whether intentional or not, the insurers doesn't care, some are more lenient some will put it down to fraud etc
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    OP didn't say that at all.

Yes he did!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing