PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    moanymoany wrote: »
    libra10, when you add the stitches to the fronts for the bands, do you knit on the rib band and then leave the band stitches on a holder while you knit the body of the front, or, do you knit the band into the front all the way up to the neck. For example, knit one purl one 4 times, then the pattern, all the way up the front.

Hope that's clear!!!!!!!

Yes, I add the stitches for the front bands (say, for example, an extra 9 stitches) and rib the band stitches, working the pattern for remaining stitches. That way the front bands are growing along with the fronts. When buttonholes are needed in - for example - left band, I would work the right front first, counting the number of rows to commencement of front shaping. That way I know exactly how many rows are needed between each buttonhole.

Good luck
  • hi :) my mum wants to knit a jumper 4 my DS but the pattern states that we need 25g balls in crepe. i asked the bloke on the wool stall on the market if he had any/ could get me any (no wool shops left here) and he doesnt sell it, just baby, aran and double knitting.
    can anybody suggest a good replacement wool for crepe please?
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Have you had a look on e-bay for wool, several wool shops also have an ebay shop.
    No idea though about the difference between the types of wool.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • whatatwit
    libra10 wrote: »
    Yes, I add the stitches for the front bands (say, for example, an extra 9 stitches) and rib the band stitches, working the pattern for remaining stitches. That way the front bands are growing along with the fronts. When buttonholes are needed in - for example - left band, I would work the right front first, counting the number of rows to commencement of front shaping. That way I know exactly how many rows are needed between each buttonhole.

Good luck

Libra, that's one of the best pieces of advice I've received about knitting.
    Thank you so much, it should make knitting a cardi sooooo much easier from now on.
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    okay does anyone have any tips about blocking? I've never done this before but I think it will make a difference to finished items. I'm also struggling to stop things curling in at the edges in stocking stitch, is there any way around this or do I just have to live with it?.
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Whatatwit, I will try & post some photos tomorrow but the handbags are really really easy. I just use DK but there is scope for lots of variation with some of the funky wools available, just adjust the sizes. It's just straight knit stitch but because it is on a circular needle the end result looks like stocking stitch.

Cast on 80 stitches on a circular needle then knit for as deep as you want the bag to be! When required depth is reached (I suggest about 7" but whatever works for you) either cast off & stitch the bottom together or if you are cleverer at knitting than me, move the stitches equally onto 2 ordinary needles & with a 3rd needle knit one stitch from each needle together then cast off. This saves the sewing up at the end but I am trying to get my head around doing it, transfering all the stitches is proving a bit tricky, not sure why!

I bought round bag handles from ebay, 4 sets cost me about £4 delivered, just sew these into the top with lots of overlapping stitches to form a nice finish. I am going to line the bags too, got given some nice tweed check in co-ordinating colours.

These are the first things I have ever knitted on a circular needle and have found it really easy to get on with,. The only problem is that there is no end of the row to pause at for tea/loo breaks!

HTH;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • whatatwit
    Thanks Lillibet, I will be having a go at one of these.

*starts planning a trip to the wool shop*
  • Just checking in this morning and was so pleased to see so many responses - I really enjoy reading about other people's projects (must be my nosy-parker tendancies). Thanks to all who responded with tips about blocking/finishing - there were a couple of great websites that I've bookmarked. I want to do it properly but I think I'll have to wait until the weekend when I have some uninterrupted time. I will definately post a picture of the finished article though.
    I've started a quick child's sweater for DS1 - he's only 2.5 so it will be a nice quick piece hopefully. I know what previous posters mean about endless stocking stitch now. I think I'm ready to try by hand at something a little more complex after this.

On a separate note my MIL has given me a fantastic knitting book printed in the 1950s - Practical Knitting Illustrated. Some of the patterns are hysterical - knitted bra and panties anyone? But there are some useful tips and techniques and some classic patterns such as V-neck sweaters and socks which I might try. DH is living in fear of me knitting him a waistcoat and matching tie now!
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I've been absolutely disgusted at the price of knitting patterns these days! Can't believe that I've been asked to pay £2.99+ for what used to be 6p!!! On the other hand they do seem to be a little more robust these days and the print is bigger - but they are soooo big that you have to fold them in half for them to fit into your knitting bag. Still haven't found that box of patterns - am now wondering if it could be in the loft so will need OH to climb up and have a look.

A hint for some of you - shrugs and boleros seem to be quite popular projects at the moment - check out your local charity shops for patterns. Our local ones always have LOTS of them - you can also have a good laugh at some of the 70's/80's styles. That's where I've always bought lots of baby ones - my lovely old Paton's Silver label ones came from charity shops.

You just have to remember when using old patterns, that the way they fit needs to be taken into consideration. 50's style jumpers/cardis seemed to fit to the body (often with shaping knitted into the pattern) - for today's needs you may need to alter that slightly. And 70's tank tops came to the waist or just above - making everybody look as though the garment was that little bit too small. Always best to read what size the garment is meant for and also what the 'finished measurements' are.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    do a google search for ann Budd books. She does books for shrugs, jumpers, socks etc with countless variations on sizes. Very useful books

I was an avid knitter 52 years ago starting from age 7 and making myself a dress when I was 15. Alas it became cheaper to buy ready-mades and all the little wool shops disappeared. I then stopped knitting for 20 years but I`m BACK with a vengence

How some things have changed: needles for example. I still have my full set of 35cm milward but I bought a full set of 35 cm bamboo and they are marvellous, so relaxing on the fingers. I bought a full set of dpns (double pointed needles) in bamboo again and both from china via ebay. Excellent needles and value. I have treated myself to brittany birch 5" dpns for my socks and they are lovely to use. The longer sharper ones were sticking into me and I had to wear a tough apron to avoid the pricking. I have also treated myself to a stack of addi turbos because circular knitting is going to be the way forward for me

hehe: can`t teach an old dog new tricks!! rubbish
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure