Why is dealer being awkward about vehicle collection?

Comments

• Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I know that the dealers are no longer allowed to sell GAP insurance as a package with the car on the same day that the vehicle is purchased but I've not heard anything about not being allowed to sell it when the vehicle is collected.
    You can buy it on collection if it's not the day of purchase.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Scrapit wrote: »
    Wrong, collection/purchase day doesn't matter. The main issue is they can't just discuss and sell GAP on the same day, there must be a period of time (4 days) between giving the customer all the prescribed information regarding GAP and completing the sale of it. Therefore my earlier post is correct!
  • Scrapit
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Wrong, collection/purchase day doesn't matter. The main issue is they can't just discuss and sell GAP on the same day, there must be a period of time (4 days) between giving the customer all the prescribed information regarding GAP and completing the sale of it. Therefore my earlier post is correct!
    Its not. If only there was a trust worthy expert, i dont know, someone like martin lewis, that had a website detailing these things. Ive had to tell you before when you wrong previously about this.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Its not. If only there was a trust worthy expert, i dont know, someone like martin lewis, that had a website detailing these things. Ive had to tell you before when you wrong previously about this.

Considering it was a cash purchase, I can be sure it isn't so he can sell me GAP insurance.
  • Scrapit
    Supersonos wrote: »
    Considering it was a cash purchase, I can be sure it isn't so he can sell me GAP insurance.
    Any way, have you picked it up?
  • Scrapit wrote: »
    No you can't.
    When purchasing GAP insurance, the dealer must wait a minimum of 2 days between giving the consumer the information about the policy before they can ask them to complete the contract.
    However, this can be dropped to one day if the consumer contacts the dealer and requests that the purchase is completed.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/ICOBS/6A/1.html
    Except as specified in ICOBS 6A.1.7R, a GAP contract cannot be concluded by a firm until at least 2 clear days have passed since the firm complied with ICOBS 6A.1.4R.

OBS 6A.1.7R

A firm can conclude a GAP contract the day after providing the information in ICOBS 6A.1.4R to a customer if the customer:

(1) initiates the conclusion of the GAP contract; and
    (2) consents to the firm concluding the GAP contract earlier than provided for in ICOBS 6A.1.6R, and confirms that they understand the restriction in ICOBS 6A.1.6R.

Would that be the website that states:
    There needs to be at least two days between the date you are given the cost (with details of the policy cover) and the day you buy the gap insurance. This is to allow people have time to check the prices elsewhere and aren't bullied into buying at the dealers (although MSE Jo asked for car finance quotes from a dealer and they included gap insurance so be warned). However, you - the consumer - can initiate the purchase that day after receiving the cost breakdown and policy details.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/gap-insurance/
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Any way, have you picked it up?

No - he's now saying next week.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Then maybe you should take the time to read it properly.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

No idea why you are putting up with this. Get on the phone to the Manager and ask to pick your car up at the time of your choosing (as long as it isn't 3a.m.!). Ask that the handover when it happens is not done by the salesman as he has been awkward/difficult and you wish nothing further to do with him. Don't take no for an answer.
  • JackeeBoy
    JackeeBoy Posts: 229 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Supersonos wrote: »
    So you ask for advice on the forum and follow none of it...Didn't even try call is bluff or call the manager? Guess you're waiting till next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure