PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2019 at 10:51AM
    Options
    £30 added to my total from last Friday, when I bought fruit, veg & a chicken at the market. Then trotted off for a dance weekend in Torquay, leaving the family to it! There's bound to be a bit more this week, but tonight's meal out to celebrate the twins' birthdays (born either side of midnight!) came out of the Entertainments budget - phew!

ETA: so pleased for you, elsiepac!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    You are right about a lot of their YS deals - it sometimes depends on the store manager but bread is drastically reduced before the store closes

I’ve noticed this too. Cheese and meat are only 30% off YS but the bread is 30p or something crazy. Tonight I went to Lidl and deliberately headed directly to the Aisle of Sh!te to find the spice racks I wanted. Unfortunately they were sold out but the really nice attendant called another store for me. No luck but he advised me to call customer service to locate any stock in town.

This Lidl has to be the biggest Lidl (no pun intended) that I’ve ever seen and the cleanest. They even have fairly clean and spacious customer bathrooms! Because I’m leaving next Sunday, I kept my spending in check.

£8.79 for sandwich thins, sirloin steak, prunes, blackberries, mozzarella, spring onions, and a bottle of water for the bus ride home.

There were lots of good looking meats and fruits. I wanted to try the steak to check the quality as the Lidl steaks in the last country were horrible. The prunes were only 99p and are good traveling companions. :rotfl:

TOTALS SO FAR:
    £146.28/£300 and €0/€200
    3/12 NSD
  • LIzzieM
    LIzzieM Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello all,

Spends today of £8.04 at Mr. M's. Only went for a couple of things but ended up with deli sandwiches (£2.30 to 12p) and snack pots £1.50 to 8p). I know I'm trying to run my freezer down for a big shop at the start of next month (which will obviously bump up the budget) but for quick lunches/snacks I can't complain (oh and I have previously frozen these items before and they came out fine) remembered though this time to get rid of any green stuff before freezing!

Happy saving,
    Lizzie
    Attempting £40 grocery only for the month of October.
    Let's see....
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Another NSD today for me. I wanted to rack up more until Saturday but I think I may need to get fruit tomorrow.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    £146.28/£300 and €0/€200
    4/12 NSD
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have spent £47.15 since our last post.
    Bulk shop with some fresh items for the week. Included in that was a large joint of beef for OH, 300g jar instant coffee for OH and 1kg of coffee beans for both of us.

I'm having Peking tofu, vegetables and rice for dinner tonight.
    OH will be having beef stir fry with egg noodles and duck spring rolls.

£89.39/£200.
    £110.61 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £19.50 Spent I think.
    My friend forgot her purse, pets at home was all her spend and I paid cash for her, shared spend at B&M, I got box of Yorkshire t, should last about 2 months, and some solar lights for my bathroom vase, getting swish, now the complication £84.08 in Morries, £60 was Amazon gift cards for a wedding gift 3 of us contributing, then my friends spends which I have worked out to £13.06, she has already given me the cash for everything, after adding some minusing others think, hope, I am correct
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £56.78 spent so far. Did a big shop at the weekend so am well stocked up for the next while. Meal plan has, however, gone to pot as I've been unwell for the last few days. :cool: Mind you as a result the last couple of days have been no spend days... mainly as I've not had the energy to leave the house! :p
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening All

I made the mistake of popping into L!dl on the way home from work. We needed instant coffee. £17.75 later.....

Naturally, I went without a list and hadn’t checked the fridge or freezer first. I knew we needed German Rye Bread as well as coffee, and I thought we might need cheddar. Turns out I was wrong. Not only did we have a large block of cheddar in the fridge, we have two YS blocks in the freezer. That’s £3.99 I didn’t need to spend. I also spent £3.75 on various sweet “treats” (biscuits, chocolate bars). Another unnecessary spend. You can tell I was hungry. Humph!

Anyway, the above brings our GC spend for the month to £81.13/£120, leaving £38.87 for the rest of the month.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 July 2019 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Evening folks. I didn’t shop today but OH stopped by Waitrose because I asked him to get me a couple items since I wasn’t feeling well. He doesn’t remember the exact amount but thinks it was £19.

£19.65 for strawberries, avocado, tomatoes, bananas, yoghurt, a sliced meats tray, a basil plant, and a chive plant. There’s another thing but he can’t remember. Oy vey!

TOTALS SO FAR:
    £165.93/£300 and €0/€200
    4/12 NSD

ETA: I just found OH’s receipt for £19.65.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Evening All

I made the mistake of popping into L!dl on the way home from work. We needed instant coffee. £17.75 later.....

Naturally, I went without a list and hadn’t checked the fridge or freezer first. I knew we needed German Rye Bread as well as coffee, and I thought we might need cheddar. Turns out I was wrong. Not only did we have a large block of cheddar in the fridge, we have two YS blocks in the freezer. That’s £3.99 I didn’t need to spend. I also spent £3.75 on various sweet “treats” (biscuits, chocolate bars). Another unnecessary spend. You can tell I was hungry. Humph!

Anyway, the above brings our GC spend for the month to £81.13/£120, leaving £38.87 for the rest of the month.

- Pip

Think yourself lucky the "aisle of temptation" did not intervene. I read a FB post this week that went "popped to L*dl for bread and milk. Came back with a two-man tent, a chain-saw and a trumpet!" - always useful, especially the trumpet (for getting people out of your way, perhaps?) :rotfl:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport