PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Yes, I do, but you'll find yourself in a minority on this thread.

I rather thought I would be.

I understand the need to prepare for the worst, as I'm doing that myself.

But I don't understand the mindset of those of a leave persuasion who have bought into the alleged 'Project Fear' (normally rejected by leavers), yet still insist that Brexit must proceed, with all the damage and chaos that will be caused, especially in the event of a no deal Brexit

To be honest, it baffles me.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 January 2019 at 2:07PM
    Goldiegirl wrote: »

You and me both. I'm preparing carefully, and have thought it through as far as possible. This is one of a great many places I've found some useful information, but the only place that seems to relish sharing repellent attitudes that make me boil over with rage.

I'll carry on fighting for a People's Vote until 29 March while re-organising my life to deal with the inevitable, fore-casted, entirely predictable economic downturn. I'm trying very, very hard to forgive those who voted Leave having dismissed legitimate concerns as Project Fear and still continue to do so while proudly stacking up tins of food against expected disruption and shortages blaming Remainers!

Why any government would do this to their own country is beyond me. I see no evidence we are prepared at all, with or without a deal with 90 days left to go and the idea that things will magically sort themselves out after a few days, weeks or even months is just plain farcical.

It will be very bad indeed without a deal, far worse than anything any of us have been through unless you were alive during WW2, and with a deal it will be just about bearable for most people for the foreseeable future. That's as good as it can ever be, walking away from the biggest free trade bloc in the world.

Glorying in that is shocking.
    Better is good enough.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    If your looking back through history you will actually see a pattern of a recession around every 10years to be pedantic the economy shrank by 6% during the world recession in 2008 where current worse case prediction ( worked out on the back of a fag packet most likely) reckons a downturn of 5.5% so realistically its more likely to feel like that then WW2
  • I like this website. https://www.happypreppers.com
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm trying very, very hard to forgive those who voted Leave

How magnanimous of you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    How magnanimous of you

The full sentence read:

'I'm trying very, very hard to forgive those who voted Leave having dismissed legitimate concerns as Project Fear and still continue to do so while proudly stacking up tins of food against expected disruption and shortages blaming Remainers!'
    as you well know but quoting things out of context is fine, if you want to try to be manipulative.
    Better is good enough.
  • Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I rather thought I would be.

I understand the need to prepare for the worst, as I'm doing that myself.

But I don't understand the mindset of those of a leave persuasion who have bought into the alleged 'Project Fear' (normally rejected by leavers), yet still insist that Brexit must proceed, with all the damage and chaos that will be caused, especially in the event of a no deal Brexit

That's the thing - people of one personal opinion often don't understand people with the opposite personal opinion.

Could be worse - there are those that try and make out those of a different personal opinion to their own personal opinion are evil/nasty/whatever other negative word they can think of first.

Could be even worse and we could be back a few centuries where it must have been very confusing to think "Which am I supposed to say is Right/The Only Way right at this moment? Am I supposed to say I'm Catholic or Protestant and then turn round and say the other lot are misguided/evil/whatever else negative I can think of?"

Could be a period in history where people got burnt at the stake as witches for something we know is perfectly normal these days (ie herbal medicine) or just because one person didn't like them personally and tried to create trouble.

'Twas ever thus.

I'll stick with - you are entitled to your opinion and I am equally entitled to my opinion. It's called living in a democracy in the modern world.

Our democracy decrees we're coming Out.
  • Goldiegirl
    tori.k wrote: »
    If your looking back through history you will actually see a pattern of a recession around every 10years to be pedantic the economy shrank by 6% during the world recession in 2008 where current worse case prediction ( worked out on the back of a fag packet most likely) reckons a downturn of 5.5% so realistically its more likely to feel like that then WW2

Although, in the last recession we didn't also rip up forty years worth of trade agreements and other treaties and leave all the agencies we are part of as members of the EU. So I think it'll be very different, particularly if we leave the EU without a deal.
  • Goldiegirl
    You and me both. I'm preparing carefully, and have thought it through as far as possible. This is one of a great many places I've found some useful information, but the only place that seems to relish sharing repellent attitudes that make me boil over with rage.

I'll carry on fighting for a People's Vote until 29 March while re-organising my life to deal with the inevitable, fore-casted, entirely predictable economic downturn. I'm trying very, very hard to forgive those who voted Leave having dismissed legitimate concerns as Project Fear and still continue to do so while proudly stacking up tins of food against expected disruption and shortages blaming Remainers!

Why any government would do this to their own country is beyond me. I see no evidence we are prepared at all, with or without a deal with 90 days left to go and the idea that things will magically sort themselves out after a few days, weeks or even months is just plain farcical.

It will be very bad indeed without a deal, far worse than anything any of us have been through unless you were alive during WW2, and with a deal it will be just about bearable for most people for the foreseeable future. That's as good as it can ever be, walking away from the biggest free trade bloc in the world.

Glorying in that is shocking.

What you've said pretty much sums up my position, but far more eloquently than I could ever say it
  • Goldiegirl

Our democracy decrees we're coming Out.

It's a strange kind of democracy that is set in stone on a random date two and a half years ago and can never evolve with increased knowledge and information.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport