Car Breakdown Discussion

Comments

• G1NSR
    G1NSR Posts: 1 Newbie
    Anyone else having trouble with the AutoAid deal? You follow the link and the page says "join now for £48.31 a year" then when you try and join it's £59.99.... States offer is valid until 15th May?
  • eddyh
    eddyh Posts: 3 Newbie
    Phoned Autoaid to renew from 130519, with current policy expiring 300619. Told cannot renew at £48.31 - has to be within 1 month of expiry if I understood the reasoning correctly. Asked to cancel the existing policy and start new policy from 130519 to be told start date is 48 hrs after inception ie 150519 and therefore falls within the new price bracket of £59.99. Reasoning, I might have a problem now and falsely claiming assistance!!! Whilst I'm a great fan of MSE, perhaps more detail for renewal would have been helpful - or are we (with GINSR) being give the runaround?
  • Two years ago Start Rescue was top of your league table so I took out a policy with them. A few months ago we needed assistance for a ripped tyre when we crashed into a pot-hole and they provided good service with no problems. Now I’m coming up for renewal again and Starts prices have risen but are still competitive- my quote is £55 including home assist, onward travel, lost and broken keys.
    Is there any reason Start is not still in your top mentions?
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    so basic cover by rac on the clubcard rac page is £55, yet when i go onto the normal rac page, it is £45. So they increase the price for clubcard voucher users. Not on.
  • Pulling hair out

So its a toss up between Auto Aid and Axa
    Flying Donkeys- Do no harm to others and you will benefit in more ways than one.
  • My wife's car broke down on a slip-road on the motorway after she drove over a metal object. Her tyre was completely flat but thankfully it wasn't a blowout. She phoned Nova Direct & was greeted with a number of questions before they could proceed; one of the questions was if she had a jack available. She said she wasn't sure but she thought not as she hadn't put one there herself. The immediate response from the gentleman in the "help" centre was that they could not send someone to fix her tyre as it was a requirement of the policy to have a jack on-board the vehicle.

I phoned up after this & was greeted with the exact same person that my wife had been speaking to & was informed in typically monotone & robotic terms that they couldn't send a breakdown van as it stated in my policy that you had to have a jack on-board. I have had numerous breakdown cover policies over the years & never once has it been a stipulation for a jack to be on-board the vehicle. I explained to the man that she didn't think she had a jack but that it was a redundant question as surely the breakdown van would have one anyway. After a few back & forths & absolutely no progress being made I asked what the next steps would be for me to get someone to go out & help my wife - I was given nothing. I asked to speak to a manager & was told that I was speaking to the manager, which I think highlights the budget nature of the business. I ended up hanging up as he had absolutely no empathy for my wife's situation, no professionalism & no intention of sending someone out to help.

I emailed after this demanding a refund & received 4, yes 4, fairly substantial emails with legalese jargon. They refused to offer a refund yet bizarrely also sent an email asking for a small additional payment to cancel the policy even although in one of the other emails they said it was not possible to get a refund. I have never dealt with such a cowboy breakdown cover company in my life. One of the emails received was from PEX insure, who perhaps not uncoincidentally, had the same address as Nova Direct, yet I'd never had any dealings with PEX insure. In all my email communications I never once received a name, just a generic 'Customer Services' email sign-off.

I cannot stress enough that consumers should avoid this company at all costs.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Paid £228.17 and joined AA membership (including parts and garage cover). I then cancelled the membership within the cooling-off period. AA customer services replied saying a full refund can be processed minus the £20.00 admin fee. They asked for confirmation if I still want to cancel. I said yes.

Received email from AA customer support saying membership has been cancelled and that refund has been made to the account from which it was claimed. Today I've just seen on Curve app AA has refunded £20.01.

Anyone experience similar? The refund should be for £208.17 not £20.01
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Call off the search guys. issue seems to be with how curve is displaying the refund.

When I check curve app, this is what I see:
    curve-M%26s-bank-aa-breakdown-refund-2.png?raw=1

I checked M&S bank statement this morning and AA has refunded £208.16.

m%26S-bank-aa-breakdown-credit.png?raw=1
  • I just had a pleasant phone call to ensure my 31 year old 3 ton Land Rover Ambulance would be covered... it is, so I just saved £70 on my renewal quote from GEM

Thanks MCE :beer:

Regards
    Andy
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    thomohawk wrote: »
    I phoned up after this & was greeted with the exact same person that my wife had been speaking to & was informed in typically monotone & robotic terms that they couldn't send a breakdown van as it stated in my policy that you had to have a jack on-board.

Thanks for the warning.

I would expect any resourceful person to say, ah yes I remember I put a jack there and my wife didn’t know fairly sure in the knowledge that a recovery truck will have basic equipment available.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback