PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Retrospective Right to buy discount

Comments

• WasntMeHonest
    WasntMeHonest Posts: 80 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:32PM
    I am actually Scottish but live in England since 81. it an English property but thanks i am also fully aware of the scotland difference as i also started reading about this in 2015 when it looked like id buy my housing association property. And i can categorically state that i have asked my housing association just that. Will you sell me my property if i wait to the roll out. Answer from Housing Association :- Yes.

My Question:- When?

H/A - We dont know lol

Maybe i am asking a silly question to say if i cant have mine now like the lucky others can i have a refund back when i can.... I even think it might be way off, but i will ask, not as bluntly as that obviously and will keep asking the right people and see where i get. Thank you every one, Im off to crack open a Diamond White , im my council house/housing association gaff with the rest of the dole dossers, might buy some heroin later as no doubt some people will prejudge and join my pauper plebs on dole alley. Best shut that curtain incase they catch me watching the footie with no licence lol
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    If you're disabled or have poor health long term you're much better off in a secure HA tenancy than owning anyway.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you don't believe what people here are saying, and think you have a entitlement under law(!), then contact a solicitor.

This thread is descending into groundhog day!
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    OP I sincerely hope not in answer to your original question.

By the way OP, how much does it cost to get a new roof or a new boiler? can you afford that? No Housing association to cry to when things wrong if you ever bought the house

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5856039

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789909
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No, your posts are not being deleted. The problem is you are not presenting any clear, coherent arguments. Instead you are rambling in a rather incoherent way.

You seem to be saying that you want to challenge the matter, but you will need a much clearer argument. Essentially you would be challenging why your HA didn't sign up for a voluntary scheme. The answer would be simply because they didn't want to.

Whilst the HA may be telling you that should they opt to join the voluntary scheme in the future you could get the higher discount this would be dependent on them actually joining the scheme, which they would be unlikely to be able to do given how far into the trial we are.

The facts remain, your HA is not a member of the trial and there is no legal right for HA tenants in relation RTB (only RTA), therefore there is nothing to challenge. You also face a huge problem in relation to who you would be challenging and who you would address your challenge to.

HA's (similarly to local authorities), as social landlords are extremely restricted in how they can dispose of their housing stock. Therefore, unless they have been given the exemption under the trial, they can generally only dispose of residential housing stock under the RTA (excluding stock swaps and CPO's etc). Therefore, even if they 'wanted' to sell it to you with RTB discount they would, until it becomes law, be unable to do so.
  • WasntMeHonest
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:45PM
    Yeah your right, You should change your name to Mystic Meg, seeing as though you seem to know what is what isnt better for me.........................

Groundhog day indeed, same old same old, prejudging whats better for someone in your humble opinion you have no idea about or who i even am lolol All I am to you is a screen name
    and like wise you to me, to think your some great wise words of wisdom with !!!! just like that , Well, must stop typing for a sec, this 2nd, 3litre bottle of Diamond white super strength cider wont open itself. If only I followe your advice............ Then when i p~*s myself drunk, someone can came and clean me up. you might aswell close this post now as it goes, cause i could gladly continue my waffle all day long in response to general judgement of I might be better somewhere else. How do you know, Miss Meg??? Got next weeks lottery numbers by any chance?
  • da_rule
    And i can categorically state that i have asked my housing association just that. Will you sell me my property if i wait to the roll out. Answer from Housing Association :- Yes.

My Question:- When?

H/A - We dont know lol

So what you asked them was, "when(/if) the law changes and I have the RTB, will you obey the law?"

They rather unsurprisingly replied "Yes". (They're hardly likely to admit that they wouldn't abide by the law are they?)

You then asked "When will the law change?"

They replied that they "Didn't know".

This seems completely reasonable to me, the HA is not the government, it does not know when, or even if, the law will change, but they have admitted that they will follow the new law should it materialise.

The unreasonable part is you seeking to somehow get ahead of the game/preferential treatment. Look at it in relation to a slightly different context. You can earn a certain amount before you pay income tax. In the budget the government announce that in the next tax year that amount is going up. This doesn't mean that in the current tax year I can use the new, higher, tax code as that isn't the law until it takes effect. The current law is that you don't have the RTB, it's that simple.
  • WasntMeHonest
    edited 6 July 2018 at 10:55PM
    simply No, i dont think im being unreasonable or trying to jump the cue. And tax will not come into it for me, once purchased, i will be still be on benefits with no return to work due to health and disablement. People are already lucky enough to be getting these and have in the previous 5 trial areas. Is it truely unreasonable for a person to say, well if they can , why cant i....... And question this to atleast someone in authority, And also to be told No, like you say and when told no. To still say Why not?
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    simply No, i dont think im being unreasonable or trying to jump the cue. And tax will not come into it for me, once purchased, i will be still be on benefits with no return to work due to health and disablement. People are already lucky enough to be getting these and have in the previous 5 trial areas. Is it truely unreasonable for a person to say, well if they can , why cant i....... And question this to atleast someone in authority, And also to be told No, like you say and when told no. To still say Why not?
    Because you aren't in a trail area - those trials might fail and they may decided to not roll it out across the country. It may cost too much to deliver. You want it NOW, move to a trial area.

Why don't you spend some of your inheritance employing a solicitor to take on the government for you? If you want to fight it, fight it with those that make the policy not those that administer it and have no way to do what you want.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • da_rule

I fear you missed the point. I wasn't saying you had to pay tax, I was using it as an example. Just because I know the law may be changing, even if I know when that new law comes into force and what it will say (which we don't with HA RTB), I cannot rely on it until it comes into force. There is no HA RTB law at this stage.

It is not unreasonable for a trial to be run. Trials are run on various schemes. For example, the NHS trials new treatments in some trusts but not in others in order in order to gauge whether they should be rolled out nationally. It would be unreasonable not to run a trial in this case. The government will essentially be forcing local authorities, who are already strapped financially, to dispose of high value properties and give some of the money to the government so that they can then subsidise the HA RTB. If the government did this without any evidence as to the likely costs (bearing in mind they will have to start building the cash pot before the first HA RTB completes) they would potentially face huge challenges. These challenges may take the form of Judicial Reviews, from local authorities who could argue that it is completely unreasonable to force a local authority to sell its own assets and then demand money based on no evidence showing how much would be needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure