Post office savings

Following recommendations from Martin I decided to open a PO on line saver. I have now been trying for 4 days.
I am told there are technical issues.
Spoke to someone on the help line numbers and was told to keep trying on line. ,REALLY !!!!
Attractive account Martin compared with other savers out there......just can't join it.

Regards

Jeanette

Comments

• phoebe03cat
    phoebe03cat Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just opened mine on the second attempt. It appears to now be offering 3.22%
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

I can't find that rate on their website.

I opened mine more than a week ago and my initial payment hasn't been taken from my account yet. I also set up a direct debit which is showing on my list of direct debits but the amount isn't yet.
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

3.22%?? That would be rather extraordinary!
    It's not on their website, so I'm assuming either your post has a typo, or their website had one temporarily, or you're looking at their loans page, or you're not looking at the real PO website.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite

No chance......
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Obviously, a typo. Best check again that you've not just taken out a loan at 32.2% APR. . . :)
  • atprice
    atprice Posts: 52 Forumite
    I applied to open an account over a week ago and haven't heard anything since. I was going to chase them but having seen some of the posts about how long it takes for money to hit the account and how hard it is to get the money out again, I don't think I'll bother. It's just not worth it.
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    atprice wrote: »
    I applied to open an account over a week ago and haven't heard anything since. I was going to chase them but having seen some of the posts about how long it takes for money to hit the account and how hard it is to get the money out again, I don't think I'll bother. It's just not worth it.

We had a Post Office savings account, a couple of years back. I think it's actually provided by Bank of Ireland. The only kind of account we're ever interested in is Easy Access, without penalties, so that's what we had from the PO. Can't say we were impressed with the website nor the massive length of time it seemed to take to actually initiate the account and, afterwards, either pay in or draw out. Obviously, other people's experience may be different.

We look for a provider capable of opening an account quickly and fuss-free. The absolute worst was an outfit called the West Bromwich Building Society, which treats every potential saver as a Russian oligarch on the run from Putin and required us to be friendly with some or other minister of religion so he could vouch for us. The best, as far as we're concerned, is Shawbrook Bank. Account opening took 10 minutes online and we transferred £1,000 in the next day to activate it. The day after that. the £1,000 was showing in the account record. Since then, subsequent transfers from our bank account to our Shawbrook account have all occurred within one working day.

We shudder to think how long it might have taken Post Office Savings / Bank of Ireland to manage all that . . . :(
  • Tried opening a post office savings account last Tuesday. Got an email said I’d hear back when they had completed their checks. Heard nothing until I got an email just now telling me I’ve not yet transferred in a deposit and to login... I’ve not been told the account was opened until now let alone given any login details. Needless to say I think I’ll just find somewhere else. Terrible customer experience!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    To all those who experience delays in opening accounts and depositing money: brace yourselves for even more delays when you want to get any of your money out! We have seen countless reports from people being unable to get at their money for prolonged periods of time. Search the forum for these reports.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Despite Martin recommending this acount, the PO is well-known by forum-users here for being a nightmare.
    When they introduced the new rate, I ignored them. Not worth the putting up with the PO admin agro for a couple of extra pence-worth of interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure