PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Relocating from London.

Hi all looking for some advice.

I have a small flat in London which I own outright. I want to own my own freehold house 3/4 bed ultimately.

I have realised that I would need to move out of London to achieve this.

I have somewhat decided that Nottingham would be a good destination ?! Any opinions welcome.

I'm just struggling on how to make the transition. I can't get a clear idea how to relocate logistically.

I am currently working 6 days a week.

I want to sell my flat and be chain free as I've been caught up in that mess before.

I am hoping to achieve around 275k being optimistic.

Apparently it's not possible to buy without physically viewing a property and renting can be difficult via this route also.

Any pointers on how to accomplish this from those who have been in this position! or those who just know how this is done ?

Kind regards.

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Most people start their relocation by (or because of) finding a new job and the new location. YMMV

Also it's often wise to live a while in a city/area before you decide to buy a property there. Since you are mortgage free, it's very doable in your case to rent for say 6 months, get a feel of the area and only then commit to buy a property.

Look for suitable properties in Nottingham online, book some viewings online/phone for a specific day, take a day off work and do the viewings. If you like something make an offer on it. Book a removal service and on the move in date move.

Why on earth would you even consider buying without physically viewing the property even if it was possible? It's not like it's on another continent...

You can get a 3bed freehold house in some parts of London.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nottingham is a great place to live. I presume you can work your current role from there? I plan to do something similar but I know Notts, Leices, Derby so it's a little easier for me. I will go from a two bed flat to a detached house with garden and plenty left over. Good luck!
  • Why Nottingham specifically?

Do you know the city? Do you know people there?
  • Famo
    Famo Posts: 21 Forumite
    I have been reading about various areas and have thought of Northampton/Birmingham/Newcastle (I have lived in Newcastle for 2 years, Studying). Sal, 3 bed house in London ? Where. I don't know anybody in Nottingham. I want to make a fresh start as I am somewhat distant from my remaining family. I am hoping that if I get a decent offer I can take a chance on the work front as even if I'm off for at worst a year I can weather the storm.

Worried Jim....Derby seems good value although Nottingham perhaps a little more desirable.
  • Good idea to suss out different areas of Nottingham though.

I'm guessing it's a countrywide thing to flog off the "duds" in any area to those that don't know it - as most of the "locals" will know where to avoid if they can manage it.

Remembering when I moved here and there were variously attempts to flog me off:
    - a house with goodness only knows how many potential boundary disputes lined-up waiting to surface and at risk of flooding
    - a distinctly overpriced house in a somewhat "precarious" location

for instance.

Two incomer friends of mine got flogged houses with Japanese Knotweed in the garden (one had a survey/one didnt - but even the one that had a surveyor didnt get told about it).
  • Hi. I sold up in London and moved to Nottingham to buy mortgage free. I would suggest renting for a while to get a feel for different areas first. Good luck!
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Christmas 2019 #27 total £62.00
    Sealed pot challenge 12 #32 total £67.50
    Mortgage paid off.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Famo wrote: »
    I have been reading about various areas and have thought of Northampton/Birmingham/Newcastle (I have lived in Newcastle for 2 years, Studying). Sal, 3 bed house in London ? Where. I don't know anybody in Nottingham. I want to make a fresh start as I am somewhat distant from my remaining family. I am hoping that if I get a decent offer I can take a chance on the work front as even if I'm off for at worst a year I can weather the storm.

Worried Jim....Derby seems good value although Nottingham perhaps a little more desirable.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87490&minBedrooms=3&maxPrice=280000&propertyTypes=detached%2Csemi-detached%2Cterraced&primaryDisplayPropertyType=houses&includeSSTC=false

Now I didn't say they are the best of properties or in top areas...

But you might want to consider higher budget by taking a small mortgage and if you are concerned about income, let some spare rooms to lodgers to supplement your income. You didn't mention partner/spouse and/or kids, 3 bed house is overkill for single person, maybe pass through 2bed until your family gets bigger and then up-size based on schools etc.

There are options if you want to buy in London witch such a large equity in your current property. On the other hand if you simply want a change of "scenery" go right ahead.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Three bedroom isn't neccessarily over kill for a single person. I fill mine quite adequately and occasionally wonder how families manage to fit themselves in. Two bedrooms are harder to sell on, being neither one thing or the other.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsien wrote: »
    Three bedroom isn't neccessarily over kill for a single person. I fill mine quite adequately and occasionally wonder how families manage to fit themselves in. Two bedrooms are harder to sell on, being neither one thing or the other.

Agreed.

I have 2 bedrooms and the sitting room is the size of a through lounge.

But I'd like another room (whether bedroom or reception room) and a conservatory and a garage (or similar) for storage.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Personally I'm still hankering after a walled garden and a turret.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure