Help please

bmthmark
bmthmark Posts: 297
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi

I am currently with Scottish Power and have been with them for many years.
I've been on a fixed rate and this ends this month.
They are trying to tempt me to sign up for another month, but i think we are paying too much.

I have a smart meter but i'm not worried if this does not work.

Would people advise me to switch providers? if so how do I do this? Also who is a good provider to go with?

Sorry about all the questions.

Mark

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Use the MSE cheap energy club to find the cheapest alternative

You will almost certainly see you are overpaying with SP!!
  • bmthmark
    Forumite
    Thanks Quentin I will look at the MSE comparison
  • bmthmark
    Forumite
    Sorry one other question. I've seen a good deal in the comparison list called 'Super Saver July 2019' but this is from Scottish Power. This deal saves me £30 a month!
    If I go for that deal would Scottish Power just amend my existing account?

Thanks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    bmthmark wrote: »
    Sorry one other question. I've seen a good deal in the comparison list called 'Super Saver July 2019' but this is from Scottish Power. This deal saves me £30 a month!
    If I go for that deal would Scottish Power just amend my existing account?

Thanks

Beware of any quoted savings if you are on a fixed term contract with less than 12 months to run. It is possible under Ofgem regulations for suppliers to claim a saving when the new tariff will cost you more. Use MSE Cheap Energy Club's 'cost on present tariff for 12 months' compared to 'cost of these tariffs for 12 months'.

I am just about to move into a new build property with Scottish Power and even their fixed term tariffs are very expensive.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What matters is the annual cost, not the quoted monthly DD level. It takes 2 minutes to do a comp site check: all your need is your postcode, and annual kWh usage.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi

I am currently with Scottish Power and have been with them for many years.
    I've been on a fixed rate and this ends this month.
    They are trying to tempt me to sign up for another month, but i think we are paying too much.

I have a smart meter but i'm not worried if this does not work.

Would people advise me to switch providers? if so how do I do this? Also who is a good provider to go with?

Sorry about all the questions.

Mark
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity
  • bmthmark
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Beware of any quoted savings if you are on a fixed term contract with less than 12 months to run. It is possible under Ofgem regulations for suppliers to claim a saving when the new tariff will cost you more. Use MSE Cheap Energy Club's 'cost on present tariff for 12 months' compared to 'cost of these tariffs for 12 months'.

I am just about to move into a new build property with Scottish Power and even their fixed term tariffs are very expensive.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry could you explain as I don't quite understand. I'm currently on Saver July 2018, this ends 31st July.
    I used MSE Cheap Energy Club's and the July 2019 super saver appeared. Is it possible that this may not give me a saving?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,054
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Electricity costs have risen - whatever supplier/tariff you choose through a comparison site will result in you paying more in the next 12 months.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,519
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the response.

Sorry could you explain as I don't quite understand. I'm currently on Saver July 2018, this ends 31st July.
    I used MSE Cheap Energy Club's and the July 2019 super saver appeared. Is it possible that this may not give me a saving?

How are you doing the comparison?
    It will be more accurate if you check your bills and put in the amount of energy you actually used over the last year, rather than the estimates for your size house or your current monthly direct debit.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bmthmark
    Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    How are you doing the comparison?
    It will be more accurate if you check your bills and put in the amount of energy you actually used over the last year, rather than the estimates for your size house or your current monthly direct debit.

Thanks - I did find out my yearly usage and entered this in to the website.

I was just a bit confused with what Hengus said "Beware of any quoted savings if you are on a fixed term contract with less than 12 months to run. It is possible under Ofgem regulations for suppliers to claim a saving when the new tariff will cost you more"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure